NCAA Wrestling

I'm drawing a blank here, was there a 3 time heavyweight champ as small as Kyle Snyder? Kurt Angle was a 2 time champ but that's all I can come up with.

I'm drawing a blank here, was there a 3 time heavyweight champ as small as Kyle Snyder? Kurt Angle was a 2 time champ but that's all I can come up with.

Off the top of my head Snyder is only the 2nd 3 time HWT champ after Carlton Haselrig who was not small

Gilman took Silver this summer after losing to Cruz at NCAAs and NaTo was right their with him at WTTs

If you don't think Lee is a threat to win World's this summer it's because you haven't been paying attention

And I can give you hundreds of examples of less successful college wrestlers having more success on the international stage.

Again, saying with confidence that he’ll win an Olympic and World gold before graduating is silly. He may very well be competitive. May very well place. But just lol at being so sure he’ll parallel Snyder’s success.

And I can give you hundreds of examples of less successful college wrestlers having more success on the international stage.

Again, saying with confidence that he’ll win an Olympic and World gold before graduating is silly. He may very well be competitive. May very well place. But just lol at being so sure he’ll parallel Snyder’s success.

Take the L

You were writing off any possibility that he can do it.

He beat World Team member twice this season with 2nd win being a dominant showing.

Acting like this kid can't win this year or in 2020 is stupid.

Take the L

You were writing off any possibility that he can do it.

He beat World Team member twice this season with 2nd win being a dominant showing.

Acting like this kid can't win this year or in 2020 is stupid.

Read before replying.

I was responding to posts about him paralleling Snyder’s success. While possible, it’s just unlikely. It’s about likelihood, not possibilities.

He’s good, but saying that he’s going to win an Olympic and World gold before he graduates is naive and you know it. You’re caught up in the hype of the night.

If you want to change your argument because you now realize this post is stupid just admit you were wrong and take the L.

Still have Cael as the collegiate GOAT. Probably have to put Dake above Snyder too.

Tom Ryan is on record stating that the 220 lb Kyle Snyder after night before weigh ins is a completely different human than 197 after 1-2 hour weigh ins. When asked about it
So weigh in procedures changed 2-3 years ago?

That pin by Nickal
View attachment 356735
Valencia and Joseph looked great out there, they both shut Martinez and Hall down. Snyder had a tough match but managed to get a big win. I wonder if Martinez will try out for freestyle now. Also, is Snyder the collegiate wrestling goat?
Martinez has done a few big domestic freestyle tournaments. The US Open and/or the trials in 2017. He placed but I can't remember too much.

*****edit*****
Imar went 1-2 at the 2017 WTTs. He beat Kevin LeValley and lost to Dake and Dieringer.

Last edited:
Martinez was 5th at 74kg at U-23 worlds last year. No Snyder isn’t the collegiate goat. He is only goat if you factor in his non-college results. Other wise he is one of the best 3x champs but Cael and his perfect record is far above Snyder. Plus Snyder takes a hit college wise because he wrestled an extremely limited NCAA schedule because he was doing a lot of freestyle.
Martinez won University WTT in 2015 or 2016 as well. The US Squad ended up not going to University Worlds for some reason though. Security maybe.

Off the top of my head Snyder is only the 2nd 3 time HWT champ after Carlton Haselrig who was not small
Jimmy Jackson was a 3x champ for OK State. I believe he made a world team too. He too was a monster. Haselrig is awesome. He got into MMA eventually but was pretty old and weathered. He actually just recently was inducted into the USAW Hall of Fame. I read a post somewhere years ago that he beat Karelin in the juniors or espoir worlds but I don't think its true.

So we have Cenzo, Yianni, and Lee all with shots to become 4xers. Who has the best shot?

I know people have joked about Iowa out bonusing people at NCAA's. On a serious note though, they outperformed expectations and shut the people up who said they wouldn't even have a team trophy, and they had a 15 team point separation ahead from Michigan. And had almost everyone outside of Marinelli and Sorenson overperform even if they didn't place.

And honestly, I'm not surprised. No I didn't know they would do as well as they did. It was that same sort of thing of when someone over performs or under performs unexpectedly. Where you didn't actually predict it, but you aren't that surprised because you either saw them in practice or competing leading up to what happened. When I saw them in person against tOSU they were fighting and scrapping way differently than the last couple of years. They were doing better in "scrambles" than they had overall in the past. So my point basically is Tom and Terry (and Morningstar) can still actually coach... which it's popular to say they can't.

I am NOT saying they will catch PSU... but they aren't going anywhere. Just probably won't get better than second stealing a few East coast boys out to the midwest.

And I'm happy Sorensen finished his career up with a win

So we have Cenzo, Yianni, and Lee all with shots to become 4xers. Who has the best shot?

My gut says Lee but watch it will be Cenzo as I wouldn’t have pegged him to have 1 title, let alone 2. Yianni is amazing but it’s hard to pick him with how close his matches are at times and 141/149 are usually always meat grinders. Maybe he’ll distance himself from the competition in the coming years.

Lee, Cenzo is a headcase and makes necessary mistakes and Yianni is in a meatgrinder and still is winning suuuper close

Back