NCAA Wrestling

I’ve dealt with a lot of homeschooled kids in my involvement over the years with the Boy Scouts. There are a number of parents that have good reasons for homeschooling and they take the appropriate steps to make sure their children get the proper education and utilize the right resource to actually get an advanced education moreso than they would get in the public schools. Then there are those that do it for the wrong reasons and aren’t people capable of properly educating their children. One family I will always remember. The oldest son who was in 7th grade at the time, struggled with math and the youngest son was like 5th grade struggled socially, so the parents pulled them from public school. Don’t know why the oldest bombed community college...
{<huh}

The family that did it right, homeschooled until middle school. The dad was a doctor and the mom was also super smart. They got the kids in a middle college program that allowed them to graduate high school with like 70 college credits. The two boys both graduated from the University of Michigan. One going to med school now and the other working on rockets out west. Lol.

Anyhow, there are good and bad ways to go about homeschooling. I’m not familiar enough with Desanto’s background other than what has been said since ncaas, so idk what his parents did or did not do.

I am currently working with a number of kids that are homeschooled. They come to my place of work to get some exercise and PE credit.

They're great. There is a cool sense of each of the kids "watching each other's back" and forming a positive team for each other.

I wonder if their "Sports Days" with us is the time they get to socialize outside of their home. But, with me, they're cool with each other.

I think his issues are exasperated by the fact he’s probably been coddled at home and homeschooled. Especially given my experience

I’ll be completely frank, one of the big reason I probably never was officially diagnosed is because when I joined wrestling in middle school, my teammates and coaches literally taught me how to socialize. i.e. “dude, don’t do that it’s weird” etc. never in a mean way either, it also gave me a social group in school to learn from, but given my home-life and struggles to fit in before that. if I hadn’t gotten socialized that way my life goes completely differently.

My point is, DeSanto has never had that type of socialization and from what I’ve seen I’m highly doubtful he’s been told no that much at home. Never had to actually fit in or be part of a team etc. so I’m willing to bet money that’s contributing to his behavior

And I’m not saying I’m near on that level on the spectrum. I was always But I’ve tested for ADHD , not till college, and talked to spec ed teachers about it. But that’s also why my sympathy is low. He won’t respond unless there is real consequences

I've coached a handful of kids on the spectrum.

I have no idea if it's part of the condition, but with kids on the spectrum, they can completely block out any distractions when focused.

As a coach, that hyper-focusness becomes blessing come match time.

"DeSanto is seeking "a tougher room" according to Jon Rugg, his coach at Exeter Township High School in eastern Pennsylvania who is now fielding queries on his former wrestler's behalf from Arizona State, Iowa, Nebraska, Penn State and Virginia Tech, among other schools.

More than one media outlet in New Jersey -- including NJ.com -- speculates that DeSanto may find a home at Rutgers, where he might move up to 141 pounds.

"It's everybody," Rugg told PennLive.com, referring to the number of colleges reportedly seeking DeSanto. "Just a ton of schools are interested in having him. I don't really know what his plan is weight-wise or how that fits or what coaches are going to fit his style. I'm not one-hundred percent sure. His mom has been texting my assistant and updating us about who he's talking to."

"I guess Austin is looking for a tougher room essentially, somewhere to be challenged on a daily basis," Rugg said. "I was never in Drexel's room, so I have no idea what that specifically means."

So, his high school coach is simply speculating and has no idea what is going on.

If you read the whole article it gives a bit of credence to the autism speculation.

He says that it took him and his assistants a full year to build a trusting relationship with Desanto and he speculated that if another coaching staff is willing to put forth the same investment it could be a fruitful relationship for all involved.

If you read the whole article it gives a bit of credence to the autism speculation.

He says that it took him and his assistants a full year to build a trusting relationship with Desanto and he speculated that if another coaching staff is willing to put forth the same investment it could be a fruitful relationship for all involved.

My concern with the article is the headline literally reads "
DeSanto granted release by Drexel, seeks 'tougher room'"

However, the reason why the author believes he is seeking a "tougher room" is due to a quote from his high school coach. A coach that then states:

- He has not spoken to Austin or his parents. Rather, the mom texted the guy's assistants.

- He has never been in the Drexel wrestling room.

I'm not sure if Coach Rugg is a good primary source to base a headline on.

My concern with the article is the headline literally reads "
DeSanto granted release by Drexel, seeks 'tougher room'"

However, the reason why the author believes he is seeking a "tougher room" is due to a quote from his high school coach. A coach that then states:

- He has not spoken to Austin or his parents. Rather, the mom texted the guy's assistants.

- He has never been in the Drexel wrestling room.

I'm not sure if Coach Rugg is a good primary source to base a headline on.

Some might think it's uncouth to speculate on something like autism. Especially for a publication based on amateur wrestling.

Some might think it's uncouth to speculate on something like autism. Especially for a publication based on amateur wrestling.

Agreed.

The amount of speculation (and simply private information) that has been showing up online about Austin has been quite disturbing.

I couldn't imagine being 19 during contemporary times.

I've coached a handful of kids on the spectrum.

I have no idea if it's part of the condition, but with kids on the spectrum, they can completely block out any distractions when focused.

As a coach, that hyper-focusness becomes blessing come match time.
My gf who’s a spec ed paraprofessional in graduate school for her teaching degree said its one of the indicators. I do/did the same thing when coaching, wrestling or doing something I like. Go from ADHD and awkwardness to hyper focused and get extremely irritated if I get distracted. I’ve had to learn to manage it on both ends.

I’m mostly just basing what I’ve said off what I’ve seen and my personal experience. Some of what people are saying about it is getting crazy

Looks like the Borelli era is about done at CMU. Which is a pity, he’s definitely a good coach but the all the amazing assistants he’s had have moved on and Michigan finally started living up to its potential. Hopefully he can get things back on track or be replaced by a quality coach

Hmmmm mixed feelings on that

Reinforces the idea that Indiana along with MSU don't care about wrestling. There's so many better head assistants and HC from smaller schools that could do a lot with the resources MSU and IU have!

Reinforces the idea that Indiana along with MSU don't care about wrestling. There's so many better head assistants and HC from smaller schools that could do a lot with the resources MSU and IU have!

I wouldn't write off Esco yet. He should do well recruiting in state

It really blows that Russia and Iran are out of the world cup. Cuba, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Japan, and Mongolia are really strong teams but they are not the prize.

It really blows that Russia and Iran are out of the world cup. Cuba, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Japan, and Mongolia are really strong teams but they are not the prize.

I dunno, the Mongolian coaches might do a striptease like they did in Rio.

I agree, I don't think USA has a challenge vs these countries. Japan, Azerbaijan and Georgia have their own champions and will probably win some of their matches; however, their teams are not strong enough. Turkey are very strong, too. Sucks to see them out.

Dake just went nuts again with two big back-to-back 4 pointers vs. Japan. Another tech.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back