65: Bekbulatov
70: Kurbanaliev
74: Tsabolov
79: Gadzhimagomedov
86: Naifonov
92: Sadulaev
97: Baitsaev
125: Kushkov

I predict the guys in bold will get gold. I also think Naifonov and Baitsaev have a good chance of winning gold.

Here is our freestyle team for the European championships:

57: Uguev
61: Rashidov
65: Bekbulatov
70: Kurbanaliev
74: Tsabolov
79: Gadzhimagomedov
86: Naifonov
92: Sadulaev
97: Baitsaev
125: Kushkov

I predict the guys in bold will get gold. I also think Naifonov and Baitsaev have a good chance of winning gold.

I like Baitsaev a lot. I feel like he is finally going to get his turn and win some world medals. He already has a TON of impressive medals but now he is clear to make the world and Olympic teams (well, not Olympic since Sadulaev will have to go back up). But what a wrestler! Baitsaev won the 2013 Yarygin in the most loaded class I can think of, beating out:
Gadisov
Boltukaev
Gatsalov
Yuri Belonovski
Georgi Ketoev
Pavlo Olejnik
And quite a few other guys with big time international level medals. Its probably the most stacked weight class Ive ever seen, including the worlds or Olympics.

I like Baitsaev a lot. I feel like he is finally going to get his turn and win some world medals. He already has a TON of impressive medals but now he is clear to make the world and Olympic teams (well, not Olympic since Sadulaev will have to go back up). But what a wrestler! Baitsaev won the 2013 Yarygin in the most loaded class I can think of, beating out:
Gadisov
Boltukaev
Gatsalov
Yuri Belonovski
Georgi Ketoev
Pavlo Olejnik
And quite a few other guys with big time international level medals. Its probably the most stacked weight class Ive ever seen, including the worlds or Olympics.
I hope he can medal here, he has a nice future. I don't really know too much about him, but he has had nice success already and arguably could have beat Sadulaev. I had no idea that he had previously wrestled at 125kg, too.

I don't know too much about the other country's lineups, I don't know who at 97kg will be a challenge. Unless Azerbaijan and Turkey have strong guys, I am unsure.

I am looking forward to see Naifonov try out at the European games. He is super young, maybe 20.

I hope he can medal here, he has a nice future. I don't really know too much about him, but he has had nice success already and arguably could have beat Sadulaev. I had no idea that he had previously wrestled at 125kg, too.

I don't know too much about the other country's lineups, I don't know who at 97kg will be a challenge. Unless Azerbaijan and Turkey have strong guys, I am unsure.

I am looking forward to see Naifonov try out at the European games. He is super young, maybe 20.
Yeah hes a beast. Big, strong, very solid technique. I really cant overstate the depth of that division when he won the Yarygin, its incredible:
Gadisov- World champ, world silver, Olympian, 2x European champ, Euro Bronze, Yarygin champ, University World champ, junior world champ.
Boltukaev- World bronze, Yarygin champ, Eauropean champ, 2x Yarygin Silver, Olympian, Russian Nationals Gold.
Gatsalov- 8 world/Olympic medals, 6 of them Gold. 3x Euro champ, and won pretty much every other type of world championship there is (military, junior, world cup)
Yuri Belonovski- University World champ, Euro champ, ton of medals from the Yarygin, Euros, etc.
Georgi Ketoev- World champion, world and Olympic bronze, junior world champ, etc.
Pavlo Olejnik- multi world/euro medalist
etc etc etc there were so many beasts.

As for this years Euro's, I don't know whos going but as you said Azerbaijan has a junior world champ wrestling well at 97 kilos. Ketoev, who I mentioned above is repping Armenia now and active again. The Georgian, Odikadze, is always good but shouldn't be a problem for Baitsaev at this point. Saritov is repping Romania now and has an Olympic medal to go with his world bronze he earned while wrestling for Russia. The Bulgarian who placed 3rd at Europeans last year is a former world champ. So there is definitely some stiff competition for Baitsaev but he can win it for sure.

Yeah I watched him wrestle Zahid Valencia in the finals of the Junior World Championships last year. Kids got talent for sure.

Wouldn't mind seeing a Deron Winn vs Jden Cox rematch. Winn beat him at the trials a few years back.

Interesting! Hey did you catch the Open? I missed the stream and they're not on Youtube yet. Really want to see the Dake and Ringer match.

I saw some matches but was busy throughout the weekend so I missed the finals.

Got a Flo account so I'll catch up this week.

I still have no idea how this Final X thing works. If someone didn't compete at this tournament and they didn't have a bye, are they not eligible to make the team? I know NCAA champs have a bye but Mark Hall didn't compete. Can he not make the team now? Not like he'd beat Dake at this point but just curious.

I still have no idea how this Final X thing works. If someone didn't compete at this tournament and they didn't have a bye, are they not eligible to make the team? I know NCAA champs have a bye but Mark Hall didn't compete. Can he not make the team now? Not like he'd beat Dake at this point but just curious.

Hall has no path to the team.

Final X seems to be a step to give the guys like Dake/Taylor a level playing field against JB/Cox (if Cox didn't move up to 92kg).

Basically they are just holding the WTT Best of 3 final as a separate event on different dates. More content for Flo and less advantage for returning medalists and Open winners to make the team.

Not totally surprised Hall is taking the Summer off. He could use the time to bulk up and I don't think he can compete with Dake and Ringer at this point anyway.

The big surprise was Maple sitting out and the big disappointment was Jordan Oliver missing the competition date by like 2 days.

Hoping they schedule some sort of last chance qualifier for those guys.

Four people have a guaranteed spot at the WTT:

NCAA Champ
Shultz winner
Farrell winner
2017 World Team Member

The remaining spots are filled by the placers at the US Open. If Hall wasn't an NCAA champ he wouldn't have a path to the Final X

Four people have a guaranteed spot at the WTT:

NCAA Champ
Shultz winner
Farrell winner
2017 World Team Member

The remaining spots are filled by the placers at the US Open. If Hall wasn't an NCAA champ he wouldn't have a path to the Final X

He's not the returning champ though.

Back