2017-2018 NCAA Wrestling

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by jlowe, Oct 13, 2016.

1. ArtemV

ArtemV Silver Belt

I would say 'a' team lol, I would say many of the wrestlers here are Russian, but only some will progress to the nationals (or, very little have potential to medal). Urishev (who won silver at Yarygin this year; lost to Sadulaev in the finals) got gold here. I think there are good wrestlers here, but not many potential wrestlers for the national team. 125 will probably be good for the nationals, Ramonov will definitely be up there and I will need to see who else. There are many Iranians, Uzbeks, Kyrgyz and Kazakhs here, too; no Americans. But yes, this is a good tournament for prep. GR is strange because the lack of competitors, if you lose; you can still enter the semifinals lol.

2. dsdoubled

dsdoubled Purple Belt

Did Magomedrasul Gazimagomedov enter? He mustve been injured for a while bc he won worlds in 2015 in an extremely tough 70 kilo class and then kinda fell off the map for a while. Now he is active again. He may have a few MMA fights under his belt too and has trained with Khabib and Rustam Khabilov.

As for this:
    "GR is strange because the lack of competitors, if you lose; you can still enter the semifinals lol."

Is this just the usual case where if you lose to a wrestler that makes the finals you get pulled back in to the repechage and get a chance to wrestle for a bronze?

Gregoire1 likes this.
  3. ArtemV

ArtemV Silver Belt

At 70, the only Russian representative was Soslan Ramonov. I look forward to see a potential Ramonov vs Gadzhimagomedov vs Kurbanaliev battle at the Nationals. Either one of these guys (more-so Ramonov and Kurbanaliev) is a strong contender for the world's gold this year. Wait.. did he say he was interested in MMA? It would be cool to see. I would like to see guys like Snyder, Sadulaev etc try MMA, but I can't imagine they get paid poorly based on their success. I think Dauren Kurugliev wants to move into MMA though.

That is what I mean, the brackets are crazy because in some of the divisions there are only 10-14 wrestlers. So, there are no quarterfinals, just round 3 to semifinals.

4. dsdoubled

dsdoubled Purple Belt

I should've mentioned that Gadzhimagomedov (like so many other guys) has moved up a division, likely due to the new weigh in procedures. He is up at 74 now.

Gregoire1 likes this.
  5. ArtemV

ArtemV Silver Belt

This is pretty cool:

6. ArtemV

ArtemV Silver Belt