NCAA Wrestling

Wow this is pretty big news. Sergei is one of the best coaches in the world. For the past 25 years or so he's been traveling the world coaching different national teams. Upon leaving Russia he actually came here to the USA and obtained full citizenship. He coached at Lehigh University and headed up their short-lived freestyle club. He also coached our national team but found himself conflicted when coaching against the Russians so that came to an end. When the Lehigh job came to an end he left to coach Japan's national team. Then I believe he found himself in Singapore I believe, trying to grow wrestling in the region.

What a cool life he's been living. On top of being one of the greatest of all time.

Very good match - Israil Kasumov vs Frank Chamizo:

Olympic and World champ Ramonov lost by 8-0 to Zherbaev (whom Ramonov tech falled at the Russian Nationals last month 13-3):

And Chamizo got beat by Artem Suchkov (who won bronze at the Russian Nationals last month).

Ilyas Bekbulatov didn't wrestle (probably injured again), so Akhmed Chakaev will represent Russia at the Worlds at 65kg. Chakaev will rematch Khinchegashvili in the finals tomorrow.

and Hancock somehow beat Artur Aleksanyan by fall. Impressive.

Ilyas Bekbulatov maybe just couldn't make weight... he will compete at 70 tomorrow.

Just dropping in to ask how you guys follow NCAA Wrestling? Is there a regular season? Are some meets televised? Etc

Last edited:
Now I don't follow Greco much but isn't Artur the #1 p4p guy out there? That is a fucking huge win.
Yep, correct. But I believe Artur was injured, for he withdrew in the bronze medal contest afterwards. Same with Khinchegashvili. There have been a surprising amount of withdrawals at this memorial cup.

Just dropping in to ask how you guys follow NCAA Wrestling? Is there a regular season? Are some meets televised? Etc
Big 10 network, big 12 network, espn go, flo sports( etc etc) all broadcast meets and tournaments.

Tatiana Suarez (World team member 2008-2012) just beat Carla Esparza by tko. Huge win and dominant win, too.

Wow, surprisingly neither Bey, nor Makhmudov reached the finals of the Junior World's Greco at 77kg tomorrow.

Wow, surprisingly neither Bey, nor Makhmudov reached the finals of the Junior World's Greco at 77kg tomorrow.
2 bronze medals wouldn't be a horrible haul for USAW Jr Greco team. Bey must have a ton of pressure on him, I wonder how he handles it. BTW id LOVE to see Bey in MMA one day. He has that high flying, throwing, beast stye to really make an impact. Plus, I believe he was a fantastic folkstyler in High School so he would have the total package.

Back