NCAA Wrestling

77kg:
Makhmudov beat Kamal Bey in a rematch from last year's Junior World finals by 8-1. Opiev (who beat Makhmudov) got the gold over India's wrestler, which isn't too surprising.

Andrew Berreyesa (USA) is in the finals tomorrow against Aleksandr Komarov. Could history repeat itself and USA gets another Junior World champion in Greco?

I am praying we get Yazdani/Taylor II. I think it’ll be an absolute war.

Will Bey be at the senior worlds?
Yep. Pretty strong team for the USA. Courtesy of theopenmat.com:

55 kg – Sam Hazewinkel

Sam makes his first Senior world team for Greco-Roman eleven years after his collegiate career had ended. Hazewinkel was a 2012 Olympian in freestyle and has made 11 national teams combined in both styles over the course of his career.

60 kg – Dalton Roberts

Roberts made his first Senior world team by taking out Ildar Hafizov, a world team member in 2017. Dalton had to come back and take the final two matches in the series after losing the opening match. He has previously made U23 and Junior world teams.

63 kg – Jesse Thielke

After a year off the world team, Jesse Thielke is back taking two straight bouts from US Open champion Ryan Mango. Thielke was an Olympian in 2016, and along with Ellis Coleman, are the only members of the team that competed in 2013, the last time the World Championships were in Budapest.

67 kg – Ellis Coleman

The Flying Squirrel is the elder statesmen of this group when you consider the number of world or Olympic teams made. This will be his fourth team at the Senior level. Coleman lost his first bout then proceeded to dominate Alejandro Sancho with a pair of 9-0 wins.

72 kg – Jon Jay Chavez

Perhaps the biggest surprise of the group was Cornell All-American Jon Jay Chavez fighting his way onto the team. Chavez defeated former world team member Pat Smith in the challenge tournament and then took two of three matches from national team mainstay RaVaughn Perkins.

77 kg – Kamal Bey

2017 Junior world champion Kamal Bey will get his first opportunity to compete for Senior gold. Last year at the Senior Trials, he fell in the finals to Mason Manville, his opponent today. Bey got a measure of revenge sweeping Manville 5-3 and 10-0.

82 kg – Geordan Speiller

Another case where a returning world team member fell in the finals was at 82 kg when Geordan Speiller beat Cheney Haight, two matches to none. Speiller was the runner-up at the 2016 Olympic Trials and has been knocking on the door for his first world team berth for a few years now.

87 kg – Patrick Martinez

Martinez is another veteran that battled his way back onto the world team, after not making the 2017 team. Patrick needed to go through two-time Olympian Ben Provisor who put him through a trio of physical, grueling matches.

97 kg – G’Angelo Hancock

One of only two holdovers from the 2017 team, G’Angelo Hancock, is still a youngster himself. Last year Hancock made the U23 and Junior teams, as well. He has exhausted his Junior eligibility but has already made the U23 squad. Hancock showed his explosiveness with show big throws during his two wins over Daniel Miller.

130 kg – Adam Coon

The story of the day came in the first match when Adam Coon unseated the fixture at 130 kg for the US, Robby Smith. Coon was down on the scoreboard with under 15 seconds left when he threw Smith in his signature over/under lock and gained the fall in the clinching match of the series. Coon will now fly to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania to attempt to make the freestyle team.

55 kg – Sam Hazewinkel
60 kg – Dalton Roberts
63 kg – Jesse Thielke
67 kg – Ellis Coleman
72 kg – Jon Jay Chavez
77 kg – Kamal Bey
82 kg – Geordan Speiller
87 kg – Patrick Martinez
97 kg – G’Angelo Hancock
130 kg – Adam Coon

Cool, I don't know much about either of these guys except Coon Hancock and Bey. Do you think any of them will get a medal? USA seems to do well in greco, but usually run into a wall against the strong teams of Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Russia etc. Central Asia seem to have the odd good greco wrestler too.

USA's greco team is pretty poor imo. I think a single medal would be a victory with this crop.

Cool, I don't know much about either of these guys except Coon Hancock and Bey. Do you think any of them will get a medal? USA seems to do well in greco, but usually run into a wall against the strong teams of Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Russia etc. Central Asia seem to have the odd good greco wrestler too.
Yeah I agree with @Te Huna Matata. We won the team title in 05, 06, or 07 I can't remember which. It wasn't the year Joe Warren won gold. But we've had a few world champs in the last 25 years. Not many.
Joe Warren
Ruling Gardner x2
Dennis Hall
Dremiel Byers
Jeff Blatnick and Steve Frasser when there were no Soviets, Iranians, Cubans.
But I believe that's it going back to 1984. And a few more made the finals. Lindland, Ghaffari, etc.

Is the cutback legal in folkstyle?

Define "cutback"

This one;

& while searching just now I found Joe Spicoli on youtube demonstrating the move who said it was illegal since a very long time ago in wrestling, I assume he's talking about folkstyle so I guess it is illegal.

Reason for asking was I saw some poor girl got her knee snapped like a twig by an extremely clumsy cutback attempt at the jr worlds yesterday, which didn't seem like a 'youth appropriate move' to me, so I wondered how folkstyle treated that move (since folkstyle is stricter about safety, for the kidz no dobut).

Are there some moves that are illegal at the youngest ages that become legal at older ages (Collegiate etc) in Folkstyle?

This one;

& while searching just now I found Joe Spicoli on youtube demonstrating the move who said it was illegal since a very long time ago in wrestling, I assume he's talking about folkstyle so I guess it is illegal.

Reason for asking was I saw some poor girl got her knee snapped like a twig by an extremely clumsy cutback attempt at the jr worlds yesterday, which didn't seem like a 'youth appropriate move' to me, so I wondered how folkstyle treated that move (since folkstyle is stricter about safety, for the kidz no dobut).

Are there some moves that are illegal at the youngest ages that become legal at older ages (Collegiate etc) in Folkstyle?

As far as I know that's legal. No idea what the rule against it would be.

Guys hit that and turn it into a tilt for backs.

As far as I know that's legal. No idea what the rule against it would be.

Guys hit that and turn it into a tilt for backs.

In Joe Spicoli's video he seems to suggest it's legal if you block behind their knee with your arm, so maybe it's only illegal in folk if you scissor with your legs?

Also a snippet of a twitter convo (don't know the match they're referring to though)

So apparently Mehki Lewsi won Jr Worlds and this was only his 3rd Freestyle tournament....

Unreal what he was able to do with such little FS experience. Another Jersey product.

So apparently Mehki Lewsi won Jr Worlds and this was only his 3rd Freestyle tournament....
Seems like these newer guys in their late 20s and early 30s who are stepping into major coaching roles are really making an impact. Lewis has Frank Molinaro and Jared Frayer teaching him freestyle, obviously both Olympians.

Back