NCAA Wrestling

D@mn that is crazy that DT has Yazdani in his 1st match. Huge team race implications right off the bat for our guys. Someone on the mat thought made a good point that if DT wins and makes the finals it will also prevent the Russion from being able to go for Bronze assuming Yazdani wins out too.

Lol. Look at the 86kg bracket. And 125. I thinj Gwiazdowski got a lucky draw, he will either face Geno or Akgul in the final (assuming he doesn't lose).

Hassan Yazdani will be David Taylor's first match...

These new seeding criteria can cause this type of thing to happen in a few weight classes. Yazdani Carrati wins 2 big tournaments this year and is still unseeded. That's why he is running into Taylor in round 1. Neither Snyder no Sadulaev are seeded at 97 kilos either.

Here are all the seeds for freestyle BTW:
57kg
Rank Country Wrestler
1. RUS – Zavur UGUEV
2. USA – Thomas Patrick GILMAN
3. UKR – Armen ARAKELIAN
4. BLR – Uladzislau ANDREYEU

61kg
1. UZB – Abbos RAKHMONOV
2. RUS – Gadzhimurad RASHIDOV
3. GEO – Beka LOMTADZE
4. USA – Joseph Daniel COLON

65kg
1. TUR – Selahattin KILICSALLAYAN
2. RUS – Ilias BEKBULATOV
3. IND – Bajrang BAJRANG
4. AZE – Haji ALIYEV

70kg
1. UKR – Andriy KVYATKOVSKYY
2. RUS – Magomed KURBANALIEV
3. GEO – Zurabi IAKOBISHVILI
4. AZE – Murtazali Raxmatullayevic MUSLIMOV

74kg
1. ITA – Frank CHAMIZO MARQUEZ
2. UZB – Bekzod ABDURAKHMONOV
3. KAZ – Daniyar KAISANOV
4. SVK – Akhsarbek GULAEV

79kg
1. RUS – Akhmed Shiabdinovitch GADZHIMAGOMEDOV
2. AZE – Jabrayil HASANOV
3. UZB – Rashid KURBANOV
4. USA – Kyle Douglas DAKE

86kg
1. TUR – Fatih ERDIN
2. USA – David Morris TAYLOR III
3. RUS – Artur NAIFONOV
4. GEO – Sandro AMINASHVILI

92kg
1. IRI – Mohammadjavad Mohammadebrahim EBRAHIMIZIVLAEI
2. RUS – Abdulrashid SADULAEV
3. TUR – Serdar BOKE
4. AZE – Sharif SHARIFOV

97kg
1. UKR – Murazi MCHEDLIDZE
2. BLR – Aliaksandr HUSHTYN
3. RUS – Vladislav BAITCAEV
4. GEO – Elizbar ODIKADZE

125kg
1. USA – Nicholas Edward GWIAZDOWSKI
2. UKR – Danylo KARTAVYI
3. UKR – Oleksandr KHOTSIANIVSKYI
4. GEO Geno PETRIASHVILI

Gwiz sleepwalks to a silver while DT, Yaz, and the Russian are all on the same side of the bracket. Take the good with the bad i guess.

can’t complain about the seeding. It is what it is. If Taylor is going to win Gold, he’s gotta get through Yazdani, whether it’s in the 1st round or the Finals.

The pace in that Taylor/Yazdani match is going to be hellacious. Gotta go through 6 minutes of hell to get it done.

Gwiz sleepwalks to a silver while DT, Yaz, and the Russian are all on the same side of the bracket. Take the good with the bad i guess.
On the bright side for Taylor, he is almost a lock for Bronze if he loses his 1st match to Yazdani Charrati who would almost certainly go on to make the finals. Really really sucks to see them face each other right off the bat though.

Franklin Gomez is wrestling at 74 kilos. I didn't realize hes been at that weight all year and wrestling well. Could be somewhat of a dark horse to medal.

can’t complain about the seeding. It is what it is. If Taylor is going to win Gold, he’s gotta get through Yazdani, whether it’s in the 1st round or the Finals.

Taylor beat him with his gas tank at the World Cup so I was hoping it would be in the finals

Taylor beat him with his gas tank at the World Cup so I was hoping it would be in the finals
Yeah, this is the freshest Yazdani will be. I’m not saying the WC win was fluky, but I’ve never personally seen Yazdani gas like that. I think he will be in much better shape this time around.

On the bright side for Taylor, he is almost a lock for Bronze if he loses his 1st match to Yazdani Charrati who would almost certainly go on to make the finals. Really really sucks to see them face each other right off the bat though.

I say pretty confidently that the only person in that bracket who can beat DT is Yaz and vice versa. Taylor is a lock for Bronze any way you slice it regardless of the bracket imo

Fucking miserable right now. I just started a new job 3 weeks ago and I now start work at 3:30pm. I was optimistic that work would be light and we'd finish up and get out at a normal time despite working at least 12 hours every day this week. As I sit here at my desk, there is no way in hell I'm going to be home by 4 to see DT/Yaz. I'll be lucky to be home at 5.

Can’t decide if I’m happy about the Taylor seeding or not. Kind of wanted a finals matchup.

Stoked for Gwiz.

The gods smiled upon me. Sitting on my couch drinking a beer and waiting for the fireworks. Let fucking go DT!

Burroughs didn't look great there. Was losing 3-3 against the Iranian until a 17 second push-out

Joe Colon wins 10-0 vs Dubov and is onto the semi-finals

Burroughs didn't look great there. Was losing 3-3 against the Iranian until a 17 second push-out

He's been doing that for the last like 4 years. He just takes his sweet time and then scores when he needs to. He's clutch as hell.

And holy shit, Colon. Did NOT see him doing well and he's in the semis. Happy to eat my words.

Gwiazdowski falls 5-4 to Deng of China in the quarterfinals

Akgul Is out in the quarterfinals. Khizriev vs Petriashvili could get gold

Back