NCAA Wrestling

Hall struggled but did what he needed to do. Good round here, really enjoyed these semis.

Will Cael pull Hall's redshirt after this showing?

He looks like a lock to be top 4 and some people consider him the favorite to win it all at NCAAs.

I still think they hold him out this year and let him bulk up a bit. I really dont think PSU needs him to win. Nolf and Retherford are going to amount for essentially an entire other persons points in March. Nickal is a lock for top four (probably top 2) with bonus, Vincenzo will probably place and will score bonus at least in the first two rounds, Suriano is going to be top 4 with some bonus, Nevills will place.

Pulling Hall's shirt creates a weird log jam of talent in the line up. If I was Rasheed or Morrelli I'd probably look to transfer at that point since either could probably start anywhere else they went.

I still think they hold him out this year and let him bulk up a bit. I really dont think PSU needs him to win. Nolf and Retherford are going to amount for essentially an entire other persons points in March. Nickal is a lock for top four (probably top 2) with bonus, Vincenzo will probably place and will score bonus at least in the first two rounds, Suriano is going to be top 4 with some bonus, Nevills will place.

Pulling Hall's shirt creates a weird log jam of talent in the line up. If I was Rasheed or Morrelli I'd probably look to transfer at that point since either could probably start anywhere else they went.

Oklahoma State just broke PSU's point record at the Scuffle. With Cortez and Jimmy looking shaky I think they might need Hall to win it

Oklahoma State just broke PSU's point record at the Scuffle. With Cortez and Jimmy looking shaky I think they might need Hall to win it

They broke it without Penn State there though. Let's break them down.

125 - Suriano/Piccininni - Edge Penn State
133 - Cortez/Brock - Strong Edge OKSt
141 - Guilbon/Heil - Strong Edge OKSt
149 - Retherford/Collica - Strong Edge Penn State
157 - Nolf/Smith - Strong Edge Penn State
165 - Joseph/Rogers - Wash
174 - Rasheed/Crutchmer - Edge OKSt
184 - Nickal/Boyd - Slight Edge Penn State
197 - McCutcheon/Weigel - Wash, maybe slight edge Penn State
HWT - Nevills/Shafer - Edge Penn State

I give Penn State the edge in 5 weights (2 strong edges) and OKSt the edge in 3 (2 strong edges) with 2 too close to call. Factor in bonus points from Nolf and Retherford (and possibly Suriano and Nickal) to Brock who is OKSt's only guy who really lights up the scoreboard and I think Penn State has a pretty comfortable edge. Unless Penn State seriously underperforms at 165, 174, and 197, I am still very confident in them winning.

I give Penn State the edge in 5 weights (2 strong edges) and OKSt the edge in 3 (2 strong edges) with 2 too close to call. Factor in bonus points from Nolf and Retherford (and possibly Suriano and Nickal) to Brock who is OKSt's only guy who really lights up the scoreboard and I think Penn State has a pretty comfortable edge. Unless Penn State seriously underperforms at 165, 174, and 197, I am still very confident in them winning.

I guess it goes from probably going to win without Hall to definite win with Hall.

At the end of the day I just want to see him compete against Valencia and Jordan. I really wanna see him take on Imar over the next year.

125= Suriano WBD PSU 3-0
133= Brock WBM OSU 4-3
141=Heil WBD OSU 7-3
149= Retherford WBD OSU 7-6
157 Nolf WBM PSU 10-7
165= Joseph WBD PSU 13-7
174=I actually think Rasheed wins this PSU 16-7
184= Nickal WBD 19-7
197 Weigel WBD 19-10
HWT Nevills WBD 21-10

Retherford may bonus too but Collica has looked pretty good this year and I wouldn't be shocked if Nickal bonused Boyd. I think Piccininni can keep it to a regular decision. OSU can't beat them in a dual and they dont have the fire power in tournament format. Injury in the only thing I see keeping PSU from the title.

I was talking there in a tournament sense but it seems we're pretty much in agreement.

Did anyone watch PSU/Minny? Curious about Suriano/Lizak. Score says 8-6 but was it actually close?

I did. It really wasnt. Suriano took him down I think 3x in the first. 6-2 with like 45s of riding. Lizak rode him in the 2nd after taking top. No turns but rode him out. Suriano took neutral in the 3rd. Took Lizak down, escape. Lizak actually gets a takedown + rideout with maybe 45 to go.

My takeaway...Suriano is much better from neutral but Lizak is a monster on top. There was never a point where I thought Suriano could actually lose.

One more note, Suriano's tds were pretty effortless.

Subscribed to BT2 plus to watch the dual and the production is so bad it's comical.

The clock just keeps counting down from 10 seconds and the only audio is the PA announced ce4 when NE scores

Subscribed to BT2 plus to watch the dual and the production is so bad it's comical.

The clock just keeps counting down from 10 seconds and the only audio is the PA announced ce4 when NE scores

I loved the 30 seconds of basketball in there as well.

Bo thoroughly kicked the shit out of Dudley. Dudley was dead by the end of the match.

Nickal might end up being my all time favorite wrestler. One of the most diverse offenses I've ever seen.

I loved the 30 seconds of basketball in there as well.

Bo thoroughly kicked the shit out of Dudley. Dudley was dead by the end of the match.

This post on themat had me dying.

VakAttack, on 08 Jan 2017 - 3:30 PM, said:

Something poetic to watching the quixotic struggle of embattled hero Jimmy Gulibon in dead silence only broken by a man loudly screaming his failures at him.

This post on themat had me dying.

VakAttack, on 08 Jan 2017 - 3:30 PM, said:

Something poetic to watching the quixotic struggle of embattled hero Jimmy Gulibon in dead silence only broken by a man loudly screaming his failures at him.

I was posting in that thread but I guess I missed it...

Just something interesting that I read but rumors are swirling that Teasdale is second guessing his Iowa commitment. I'm guessing he finally came to terms with the fact that he's a small person and won't be a 133/141lber in college.

Just something interesting that I read but rumors are swirling that Teasdale is second guessing his Iowa commitment. I'm guessing he finally came to terms with the fact that he's a small person and won't be a 133/141lber in college.

A career 125lber?

Is it like the student produced duals on the B1G's cable channel? Too many of them are done by students that obviously know nothing about wrestling, some are really embarrassing.

Channel cuts back on the number of weekly duals, then airs crummy duals with clueless students announcing (not that I like listening to those 2 old dudes ramble on about everything but the match currently going on).
Recently aired Indiana v Buffalo and Indiana v Indiana Tech. WTF. Student production, broadcaster was a woman...about all she said was the wrestlers' names & records and then pretty much silence from her. Fortunately, Pat DeGain was there so it wasn't dead silence.
Pretty awful, made the "illegal fist to the back" duo look like wrestling gurus.

Back