NCAA Wrestling

Is it like the student produced duals on the B1G's cable channel? Too many of them are done by students that obviously know nothing about wrestling, some are really embarrassing.

Channel cuts back on the number of weekly duals, then airs crummy duals with clueless students announcing (not that I like listening to those 2 old dudes ramble on about everything but the match currently going on).
Recently aired Indiana v Buffalo and Indiana v Indiana Tech. WTF. Student production, broadcaster was a woman...about all she said was the wrestlers' names & records and then pretty much silence from her. Fortunately, Pat DeGain was there so it wasn't dead silence.
Pretty awful, made the "illegal fist to the back" duo look like wrestling gurus.

Dead silence the entire match except when someone scored and they'd patch in the PA.

Dead silence the entire match except when someone scored and they'd patch in the PA.
That is terrible. I just finished reading that thread over on The Mat. Lmao.
Terrible broadcasting, terrible reffing. Did you watch the dual a few years ago in which the ref ended a match prematurely? There was like 45 seconds or so left and the ref just ended the match. Pretty sure one of the teams was Ohio State, think it was Nick Heflin wrestling.

That is terrible. I just finished reading that thread over on The Mat. Lmao.
Terrible broadcasting, terrible reffing. Did you watch the dual a few years ago in which the ref ended a match prematurely? There was like 45 seconds or so left and the ref just ended the match. Pretty sure one of the teams was Ohio State, think it was Nick Heflin wrestling.

Haha don't remember that at all

Haha don't remember that at all
Yeah, it was bizarre. The ref had stopped the match in order to correct the score. Ref corrected the score and restarted the match. Not much time went by and the ref blows the whistle and signaled the match was over. Like I said, there was 45 or 30 seconds left in the 3rd. The 2 announcers, Gibbons & Johnson, made a comment about the clock time and then...nothing, just let it go. The wrestlers were confused.
Maybe the clock was off, idk. That is a big problem with those announcers, they ramble on & on and relay very little mat information - you don't catch what the ref says or signals, or the ref isn't even in the video frame, so you miss things a decent announcer would inform you of. It is irritating.

A career 125lber?

I would guess so. At the very least, he'll be 125 for a few seasons. He's actually older than Spencer Lee despite being a grade behind. They held him back in 8th grade because he couldn't even make the minimum for 106. He's going on 19 and he's 120 bumped up to wrestle 126. I don't know about you all but at 19, I was fully grown.

I would guess so. At the very least, he'll be 125 for a few seasons. He's actually older than Spencer Lee despite being a grade behind. They held him back in 8th grade because he couldn't even make the minimum for 106. He's going on 19 and he's 120 bumped up to wrestle 126. I don't know about you all but at 19, I was fully grown.

I didn't realize he was that old.

Wow, wonder where he'd committ to. On a related note, Lee looks really small this year against HS at 126, not overpowering kids.

Yeah the BTN plus broadcast for the Nebraska vs Penn St match was pretty bad. I don't know if I'm surprised but man did Nolf take apart Berger fairly easily. From what I understand Smith hasn't looked to be in top form yet this season and I haven't seen Kutler wrestle yet but it doesn't seem like anyone is on his level to challenge him this year.

Wow, wonder where he'd committ to. On a related note, Lee looks really small this year against HS at 126, not overpowering kids.

Again, just a rumor.

Lee doesn't look like he cuts any weight at all to get to 126. He'll 100% need a year in the weight room to bulk up before trying to take on collegiate 125ers. He's as talented as anyone but size may be prohibitive.

Iowa/OSU thoughts?

125: Gillman WBM 4-0 Iowa
133: Brock WBD 4-3 Iowa
141: Heil WBD 6-4 OSU
149: Sorenson WBD 7-6 Iowa
157: Kemerer WBD 10-6 Iowa
165: Rodgers WBD 10-9 Iowa
174: Crutchmer WBD 12-10 OSU
184: Brooks WBD 13-12 Iowa
197: Weigel WBD 15-13 OSU
HWY: Stoll WBD 16-15 Iowa

Despite this, I actually think OSU wins because Picc could keep it to a dec, Heil could possibly bonus, Rodgers could WBF.

I know I'm biased as hell and won't deny it but damn, Penn State is fun to watch.

Kaid Brock is one of my favorite wrestlers to watch. He is slick as hell.

Thank Christ Stoll didn't win. Him getting rewarded for doing nothing other than pushing Shafer off the mat was a travesty.

I'm really looking forward to Kemerer/Nolf friday. Im sure Nolf wins but I think Kemerer keeps it fun to watch.

+ Suriano/Gilman, Zain/Snorenson, Nickal/Brooks, and Nevills/Stoll

5 great matches.

The brooks match is an under the radar potential barn burner, brooks is so hot and cold, I could see him being very competitive just as easily as I see him getting smoked

Back