NCAA Wrestling

Well done to Lewis, you got an U23 world champ. I am happy Russia got two world champs at U23, exciting times for the future. We needed a rebound from the senior worlds. Kuular is next level.

Well done to Lewis, you got an U23 world champ. I am happy Russia got two world champs at U23, exciting times for the future. We needed a rebound from the senior worlds. Kuular is next level.

Do you know how tough Richie's weightclass was? He was probably the least credentialed American competing but had the best result.

It will be interesting to see how he does against Kemmerer, Berger and Nolf.

Do you know how tough Richie's weightclass was? He was probably the least credentialed American competing but had the best result.

It will be interesting to see how he does against Kemmerer, Berger and Nolf.
Yeah, it was stacked. Same with Imar's division too. I was surprised at how well India performed too, they don't usually medal highly when Russia, Georgia, USA etc are in the same brackets, they surprised me.

Looks like next weekend we get to see Dake/Geduev and Cox/Sadulaev.

Fucking truth right here but FL in particular. I have stories from my old HS coach who retired to FL for a rainy day. It's comical to say the least. But the entire south/southeast's best combined couldn't compete with NJ let alone PA or Ohio.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry because it's true...probably both.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry because it's true...probably both.

I play golf with him in SC for a week every year. To really get the gist of everything I need to set the stage a bit.

He's now 65. In his day, he was a District Champ and a Regional runner up. Back then, only the Regional Champs made it to states so he never got a shot even though he was one of the favorites his senior year. Coached in PA for many years. Even when he was in his mid-50s, he could still roll. I watched him go live with a PA state champ and top 50 overall recruit and stick him. There was a small weight disparity but not significant. After coaching hs for years, he was hired as an assistant at a prominent NCAA D3 program. So needless to say, he knows what he's doing. 2 of his 3 sons placed at PA states as well (3rd and 4th for the oldest, 4th for the middle). You get the idea.

He retired to the ocean side of the state and volunteers at the school district where he lives. This high school was the sectional team champ. Their practices consist of some cardio, drilling, and live. Sounds normal right? Well, the drilling for the entirety of the season until February was 3 shots. That's it. The majority of those 3 are just a high crotch. They didn't even teach top or bottom until February. Not even how to get into position. Not even how to do a proper stand up. No spiral ride, leg ride, cradle, nothing. Just a high crotch, sweep single, and a double leg. Over and over. One of the rival schools that they occasionally practice with has a FL champ. He said he'd be lucky to make it out of a PA district let alone through regionals or states. Doesn't know how to stay in proper position in most scenarios. They lose half their team due to attrition after the Christmas break so what starts out as a program with 30 kids finishes with 12-15 and they know 3 moves. This seems to be the norm in his area sadly.

I play golf with him in SC for a week every year. To really get the gist of everything I need to set the stage a bit.

He's now 65. In his day, he was a District Champ and a Regional runner up. Back then, only the Regional Champs made it to states so he never got a shot even though he was one of the favorites his senior year. Coached in PA for many years. Even when he was in his mid-50s, he could still roll. I watched him go live with a PA state champ and top 50 overall recruit and stick him. There was a small weight disparity but not significant. After coaching hs for years, he was hired as an assistant at a prominent NCAA D3 program. So needless to say, he knows what he's doing. 2 of his 3 sons placed at PA states as well (3rd and 4th for the oldest, 4th for the middle). You get the idea.

He retired to the ocean side of the state and volunteers at the school district where he lives. This high school was the sectional team champ. Their practices consist of some cardio, drilling, and live. Sounds normal right? Well, the drilling for the entirety of the season until February was 3 shots. That's it. The majority of those 3 are just a high crotch. They didn't even teach top or bottom until February. Not even how to get into position. Not even how to do a proper stand up. No spiral ride, leg ride, cradle, nothing. Just a high crotch, sweep single, and a double leg. Over and over. One of the rival schools that they occasionally practice with has a FL champ. He said he'd be lucky to make it out of a PA district let alone through regionals or states. Doesn't know how to stay in proper position in most scenarios. They lose half their team due to attrition after the Christmas break so what starts out as a program with 30 kids finishes with 12-15 and they know 3 moves. This seems to be the norm in his area sadly.

That's what happens when half the team steps on the mat for the first time at age 16. One of the high school kids I work with joined is school wrestling team...and the sheer volume of stuff I have to teach him to make up for the gaps in what he learns at practice hurts my brain. He was at a Cozart seminar last summer with a couple dozen other guys, all who had been wrestling for a year or more, and he was the only one there who knew what cow catchers were for stopping a shot.

<{hughesimpress}>

Even the few spots that have decent youth programs are only decent because they're better than the alternative...nothing. Attendance is sparse at best, numbers small...it's just hard getting kids interested when all their friends are playing soccer instead.

That's what happens when half the team steps on the mat for the first time at age 16. One of the high school kids I work with joined is school wrestling team...and the sheer volume of stuff I have to teach him to make up for the gaps in what he learns at practice hurts my brain. He was at a Cozart seminar last summer with a couple dozen other guys, all who had been wrestling for a year or more, and he was the only one there who knew what cow catchers were for stopping a shot.

<{hughesimpress}>

Even the few spots that have decent youth programs are only decent because they're better than the alternative...nothing. Attendance is sparse at best, numbers small...it's just hard getting kids interested when all their friends are playing soccer instead.
I’m at an inner city school and in the same district as St. Paris Graham.. so the learning curve is high, Lol. I’ve been able to get decent numbers out though, I keep it fun and do wrestling games to keep it from being too much at first. The two piece has already helped because when I talk to kids.. it goes from “fuck no I ain’t wearing that shit” to “oh, what’s the point of the sport? It helps football?” i.e. opens up a dialogue rather than flat refusal

<{hughesimpress}>

Hey, but by the time they graduate at 20-21 in Florida, they’ll be multi-time state champs so it’s all good. They can then continue the recent success of Florida products at the NCAA level....,,,<{Heymansnicker}>

Hey, but by the time they graduate at 20-21 in Florida, they’ll be multi-time state champs so it’s all good. They can then continue the recent success of Florida products at the NCAA level....,,,<{Heymansnicker}>

<DCrying>

This is part of why I won’t take the argument that we need to change to freestyle so seriously until we stop using up or peaking out athletes too soon

Edit:grammar

Last edited:
Looks like next weekend we get to see Dake/Geduev and Cox/Sadulaev.
Please please please let Dake/Geduev happen. I’ve been dying to see Dake against the top international talent. And given both guys’ physical prowess that could be a dog fight.

I think Yianni breaks out at the CKLV, that kid is a stud. Pumped to see him wrestle more this season.

This is part of why I won’t take the we need to take freestyle so seriously until we stop using up or peaking out athletes too soon

It's ridiculous. The junior league kids in my area get like 60+ matches a season. I hate that, really putting these kids through the ringer.

Last edited:
Iowa vs Illinois tonight too. I wonder if Imar will wrestle since he's competing in the world club cup next weekend. Also PSU vs Lehigh should provide some interesting match ups and is being streamed free via the patriot network or something.

Hope McFadden runs the table at 165 at CKLV. Him vs Massa would be great but a lot of unknowns on his side of the bracket (I. White, J. Chavez)

Also RU vs Lock Haven tonight but I don't think too many people are interested in that one. Marstellar vs VanBrill could be fun.

SAN GABRIEL VALLEY WHATS UP!!!! EVAN WICK BEATS LOGAN MASSA!!

Edit: Watching the match now and I see that Massa hyper extends his knee in the first period.

Last edited:
Back