NCAA Wrestling

If you haven't seen it.

Coon is a monster, 6'5" 285... I can see why Snyder was gassed after the first round. I wonder if Coon will go the Stephen Neal route and try out for the NFL, hopefully it's after a strong international wrestling career though.

Coon is a monster, 6'5" 285... I can see why Snyder was gassed after the first round. I wonder if Coon will go the Stephen Neal route and try out for the NFL, hopefully it's after a strong international wrestling career though.

The dude has a lot of Options. He was number two on the Senior Greco ladder for the Olympics, Has a Cadet World Gold and Junior Bronze Medals in both Freestyle and Greco.

He's next in line for the Greco spot but he can definitely compete for the Freestyle spot ( I hope he does).

As you mentioned I think a few NFL teams would give him a look if he's interested.

He's also majoring in aerospace engineering so he's a damn genius as well.

Have Gwiz and Coon wrestled a senior level freestyle match?

Have Gwiz and Coon wrestled a senior level freestyle match?

2015 world team trials in the consis, 12-2 win for Gwiz. Coon would have to cut another 20lbs if he went the freestyle route, where as Greco he’s already at 285. That’s something to keep in mind as he’s not a fat heavyweight by any means

An additional 20lbs would be rough for him especially with the new weigh in procedures. Normally, I'd think a 285lb guy could easily drop 20 more pounds but he's such a large man that I'm not sure he could do it and still be effective.

An additional 20lbs would be rough for him especially with the new weigh in procedures. Normally, I'd think a 285lb guy could easily drop 20 more pounds but he's such a large man that I'm not sure he could do it and still be effective.

Could be. Konrad surpassed Mocco in Folk at 285 but I don't think he ever beat him in Free at 265

So disregard my comment on Coon having to cut 20 more lbs. I was still stuck in mindset of freestyle being 120kg, which it was for the longest time but it’s actually 125k. So another 10 is definitely doable as opposed to 20 which would be harder. So who knows what Coon will do then. Lol

2015 world team trials in the consis, 12-2 win for Gwiz. Coon would have to cut another 20lbs if he went the freestyle route, where as Greco he’s already at 285. That’s something to keep in mind as he’s not a fat heavyweight by any means

Also @Te Huna Matata

Isn't 275 (125 kg) the HW limit in freestyle? 10 lbs shouldn't be a problem for a guy that big.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/5968209-uww-reveals-10-weight-classes

Edit: Damn, didn't see your last post tec

How is USA Greco Roman ? Is there good coaching? I don't believe you have had medal in Greco since Bisek in 2014!

Watched the Michigan vs Ohio state duel. Holy hell did the wolverines come to battle. Big upsets for Micic, Pantaleo, Massa, Amine, and of course Coon.
Really hope Coon sticks with Greco. That program could really use the boost gained from a young, mean, talented heavyweight like Coon who could make an impact early on in his international career

Last edited:
Watched the Michigan vs Ohio state duel. Holy hell did the badgers come to battle. Big upsets for Micic, Pantaleo, Massa, Amine, and of course Coon.
Really hope Coon sticks with Greco. That program could really use the boost gained from a young, mean, talented heavyweight like Coon who could make an impact early on in his international career
The badgers?

How is USA Greco Roman ? Is there good coaching? I don't believe you have had medal in Greco since Bisek in 2014!

Weak at best. There is a little bit of young talent but the good wrestlers in the US go into freestyle.

I'm sure the US Greco coaches are fine but most of our talent starts off in College wrestling and most of the coaches (and regional training centers) have a Freestyle background such as Cael Sanderson, Tom/Terry Brands, John Smith, Zeke Jones, Rob Koll, Mark Manning, Pat Santoro etc...

Off the top of my head the only big time US coach that had a Greco Background was J Robinson who did coach Garret Lowney in Minn where he was Olympic Bronze Medalist at the age of 20 or 21.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back