2018 Song Of The Day - Day 195 - Soundtracks - Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone

I had no idea this was the original. I always associated Soft Cell with the original... mind blown.
I surprised a lot of people with that one. I enjoy hearing the original original versions of these covers, especially if I was unfamiliar with them too.

Band: Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
Song: The Message
Year: 1982
Why: Arguably one of the most important and influential hip hop songs ever, right up there with "Rapper's Delight."

Band: The Sugarhill Gang
Song: Rapper's Delight
Year: 1979
Why: Arguably one of the most important and influential hip hop songs ever, right up there with "The Message."

Band: World Order
Song: Have a Nice Day
Year: 2014
Why: Sudooooo Genkiiii

Band: Temple of the Dog
Song: Hunger Strike
Year: 1991
Why: If you like grunge, this album is essential. Put Soundgarden and Pearl Jam together, and that's what you got with Temple of the Dog.

Band: Linkin Park
Song: Numb
Year: 2003
Why: Some fighters pick one song to walk out to for most of their appearances, and this song has been chosen by welterweight Demian Maia for fifteen straight fights spanning the past six years.

Last edited:
Band: Dio
Song: Holy Diver
Year: 1983
Why: I had always hoped a fighter would use Dio as a walkout artist, and Andrea Lee made metalheads' dreams come true when she was accompanied to the cage by this song last night.

Artist: George Michael
Song: Freedom! '90
Year: 1990
Why: Organized choreographed dance!

Artist: Pat Benatar
Song: We Belong
Year: 1984
Why: It's the kind of song that brings family closer together.

Band: Spock's Beard
Song: The Great Nothing
Year: 2000
Why: I believe Neal Morse, the mastermind who wrote this song, once called this "the epic to end all epics." This, without a doubt, is one of the finest exceptionally long tracks I have ever heard. Fun fact: if you started this song right now on Eastern time, by the time you finished it, it would be tomorrow and no longer would qualify as the "song of the day" for the 23rd.

Band: Beastie Boys
Song: Ch-Check It Out
Year: 2004
Why: Working with data all day, I'm certainly checking out everything under the sun.

Band: No Doubt
Song: Happy Now?
Year: 1995
Why: I miss the days of Tragic Kingdom-era No Doubt. That last album they made over five years ago just felt sad to hear.

Band: The Tea Party
Song: Psychopomp
Year: 1997
Why: Man, I loved these guys. I was able to see them in concert some years ago with a buddy I haven't talked to in a few years and they put on as good of a show as I could have ever hoped.

Artist: Neil Diamond
Song: Sweet Caroline
Year: 1969
Why: Darren Till was the first fighter to ever walk out to this song before a fight, according to my stats. He won, and even though his opponent walked out to "Wonderboy" by Tenacious D, he won the battle of the walkouts as the crowd was completely on his side as they burst into song.

Band: Tenacious D
Song: Wonderboy
Year: 2001
Why: The other half of the walkout music from yesterday's fight card, a song that accompanied Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson to the Octagon. What is the secret of his power?

Band: System of a Down
Song: Spiders
Year: 1998
Why: If you actually know what is going on in this music video, please tell me. I've been watching it for years and I still don't entirely derive its meaning.

Artist: Apparat
Song: Song of Los
Year: 2011
Why: Happy 150th, everybody.

Band: Van Halen
Song: Hot for Teacher
Year: 1984
Why: Woke up with an earworm this morning, with this song looping in my head.

In June, we start off the month with a series of songs from supergroups, which are bands composed of members of other popular bands to see if they can create something greater than the sum of their parts.

Band: OSI
Song: shutDOWN
Year: 2003
Genre: Progressive Rock
Why: Easily one of the most forgotten progressive rock supergroups ever. The band was originally made up of guitarist Jim Matheos of Fates Warning, drummer Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater, and keyboardist/vocalist Kevin Moore also temporarily from Dream Theater. and were joined on this first album by Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree and Sean Malone of Cynic. After Portnoy moved on to other projects, he was replaced by none other than Gavin Harrison, the drummer of Porcupine Tree. So, yeah, some big names made some great music, and yet no one seems to remember them.

Instead of a why, I'll give you a genre of music and the bands each particular supergroup came from.

Band
: Audioslave
Song: Cochise
Year: 2002
Genre: Hard Rock
Members from which bands: Soundgarden, Rage Against the Machine

Back