2018 Song Of The Day - Day 195 - Soundtracks - Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone

Band: Dropkick Murphys
Song: I'm Shipping Up to Boston
Year: 2005
Why?: That's what I did yesterday. This was supposed to be posted yesterday but I had no access to my computer so here it is now. Day 21 coming soon.

Band: Tom Petty
Song: I Won't Back Down
Release Year: 1989
Why?: Walking out to this song before his fight against the undefeated Shane Burgos this weekend, Calvin Kattar abstained from the expected "I'm Shipping Up to Boston" walkout we thought we would hear as a Bostonian. Kattar shocked everyone as a +190 underdog to knock out Burgos in the third, and pumped the crowd up with his song. We were finally able to cope with losing Tom Petty, and then the news came out recently that we lost him due to an accidental overdose and opened that wound up again. RIP Tom Petty all the same.

Artist: John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra
Song: Duel of the Fates
Release Year: 1999
Why?: Say what you want about the unholy prequel trilogy and Phantom in particular, at least this track came out of it. This was the only classical track to ever be featured on Total Request Live as far as I know, do you remember that show? It used to have great music on it in the mid-90s.

Band: Max Rebo Band ft. Sy Snootles
Song: Jedi Rocks
Release Year: 1997
WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?: Two Star Wars themed songs in a row, I know. Forcibly edited into new releases of Return of the Jedi, this song may be the worst thing that happened to the Star Wars universe, other than Greedo shooting first. So, here you go.

Band: The Immortals
Song: Techno Syndrome (Mortal Kombat)
Release Year: 1995
Why?: Voted as walkout song of the year on here, beating "Fight to Survive" by Stan Bush from the Bloodsport soundtrack by ONE vote.

Band: The Fall
Song: Eat Y'self Fitter
Release Year: 1983
Why?: Mark Smith was a unique voice in music. After the punk wave had run its course, those displaced fans were starved to hear something new, and thus, post-punk was born. The Fall in particular went all over the map with their sound, and Smith always had a lot to say, as evidenced by his some 30+ albums released with the band, each different from the last. See you on the other side, Mark.

Artist: Joe Satriani
Song: Always With Me, Always With You
Release Year: 1987
Why?: One of the greatest instrumental guitarists, and among the best guitarists, of all time. Not many people can do what he does with a guitar, and this song is from his early album "Surfing with the Alien" which is arguably his best album. Can't get too much better than this. He's also been nominated for 15 Grammies and has never won, including three times for different versions of this song, but does anyone care about Grammy Awards anymore?

Artist: Joe Satriani
Song: Always With Me, Always With You
Release Year: 1987
Why?: One of the greatest instrumental guitarists, and among the best guitarists, of all time. Not many people can do what he does with a guitar, and this song is from his early album "Surfing with the Alien" which is arguably his best album. Can't get too much better than this. He's also been nominated for 15 Grammies and has never won, including three times for different versions of this song, but does anyone care about Grammy Awards anymore?

So Joe Satriani is the Kenny G of guitars.

Are you the only one allowed to post here?
Nah, I'm just the only one that has, other than sh1tehawke about Sneaker Pimps. It's different than "what are you listening to right now" which is already stickied, as the song choices represent something more, which might be why no one else has really posted in here this month. They may have not wanted to explain why.

So Joe Satriani is the Kenny G of guitars.
Yeah, or the Snoop Dogg, who has been nominated like 17 times but never won one.

Band: 30 Seconds to Mars
Song: Capricorn (A Brand New Name)
Release Year: 2002
Why?: What happened to these guys? They had such promise, as a sort of strange space rock band with some prog thrown in too. I can't think of too many bands that hit the sophomore slump as hard as they did, with a debut album this strong followed up by a generic alt rock album in "A Beautiful Lie" which had no identity of its own and let everyone down. At least we'll always have this.

Band: Death Cab for Cutie
Song: I Will Possess Your Heart
Release Year: 2008
Why?: The first time I heard this song on the radio, I was taken aback. They played the full 8 and a half minute version, and it was just so haunting that I had to hear more of it. It's not a happy song, either, it's about a stalker who wants this girl that he can never have, and the music video shows this bored girl travelling all around the world (and we the audience are the ones following her). It's creepy, beautiful, and evil.

Band: Sigur Ros
Song: Glosoli
Release Year: 2005
Why?: How do I describe Sigur Ros to those of you who have not listened to them before? Ethereal? Atmospheric? A brief description could perhaps be given as just four dudes in a band, their words, producing music that dreams are made of. You can't think of this band as you would most other bands out there, unless you've listened to some other post-rock, but they're just...special. Seeing Sigur Ros live is among the greatest experiences of my life, and I'm proud to say I've seen them twice.

Band: Dethklok
Song: Murmaider
Release Year: 2007
Why?: Yesterday we were treated to some beautiful, ethereal, and dreamlike music, and today you can hear what nightmares are made of. This band, for those unfamiliar, is a fictional death metal band named Dethklok, created for that Metalocalypse show on Adult Swim. The guys behind the show, namely Brendon Small, released several full length albums as the band, and they're all quite impressive. You had peace with the last song on this list, and now you get the other thing.

The original music video is NSFW and not safe for this site either, so I'm going to copy in just the song and you can find the actual music video they made on Youtube. Viewer discretion is definitely advised for that one.

Last edited:
Band: Dethklok
Song: Murmaider
Release Year: 2007
Why?: Yesterday we were treated to some beautiful, ethereal, and dreamlike music, and today you can hear what nightmares are made of. This band, for those unfamiliar, is a fictional death metal band named Dethklok, created for that Metalocalypse show on Adult Swim. The guys behind the show, namely Brendon Small, released several full length albums as the band, and they're all quite impressive. You had peace with the last song on this list, and now you get the other thing.

The original music video is NSFW and not safe for this site either, so I'm going to copy in just the song and you can find the actual music video they made on Youtube. Viewer discretion is definitely advised for that one.

awesome, i used to listen to that a lot actually. i remember that whole album being pretty amazing.

awesome, i used to listen to that a lot actually. i remember that whole album being pretty amazing.
It was. It was a legitimately good album made up of ridiculous jokes and parodies of death metal bands. It was wonderful.

Artist: RJD2
Song: Ghostwriter
Release Year: 2002
Why?: After having a discussion with a friend of mine of my years in undergrad, I reminisced about some music I used to listen to back then. One artist in particular was a guy named RJD2, who is an instrumental hip hop/electronica DJ that I enjoyed thoroughly. This song was featured in heavy rotation during my years at undergrad, and for good reason. It's a fun track.

Lol i like the dedication here Jeicex

Had a chance to hang out with RJD2 after his set at sxsw a few years back.

To say the least, it was a wild night

Loving the thread buddeh, some great tunes posted.
I'm having fun doing it. I'm listening to the music already, so why not take it a half step further and think about it some. Why this song, I ask myself.

Lol i like the dedication here Jeicex

Had a chance to hang out with RJD2 after his set at sxsw a few years back.

To say the least, it was a wild night
It feels right to keep doing this every day, even if there have been a few delays because I've been on the road all day or in Boston at 220 or something else. I'd love to catch RJD2 live, I'm sure the atmosphere is terrific.

Back