2018 Song Of The Day - Day 195 - Soundtracks - Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone

Artist: Sinead O'Connor
Song: Nothing Compares 2 U
Year: 1990
Why: Woke up with it stuck in my head for some reason. I don't know why actually, I haven't heard it in a year or so. It's funny how the mind works, coming up with music you haven't heard in a while out of nowhere. Maybe this song was one of those "earworms" that I see studies about every now and then.

Great choice! I love Chris Cornell's version too

Great choice! I love Chris Cornell's version too
Man, I remember listening to his version the day he died last year, and it was a gut punch. Powerful stuff, and yes, it was beautifully done.

Band: Kansas
Song: Point of Know Return
Year: 1977
Why: I wish I grew up in the 60s so I could have grown up listening to bands like Kansas in their heyday. Sure they're still touring now and I might catch them on their 40th anniversary tour of the release of this album, but Steve Walsh (lead singer/keyboardist) retired so it would likely sound dramatically different than it used to. At least I saw them at a festival almost ten years ago, but the crowd was not at all into it so that stung.

Artist: Nujabes
Song: Luv(sic) Hexalogy
Year: 2015
Why: Nujabes...gone, but not forgotten. This particular track is actually six different ones Nujabes released over the years, cobbled together for your listening enjoyment.

Artist: LL Cool J
Song: Mama Said Knock You Out
Year: 1990
Why: In honor of the new Deadpool trailer that dropped today, this is the song of the day.

Band: Everclear
Song: Everything to Everyone
Year: 1997
Why: Ah, alt rock, what happened to you?

Band: Fleetwood Mac
Song: Gypsy
Year: 1982
Why: I've been a fan of Fleetwood Mac since I can remember, even though I'm actually not sure how I came to enjoy them as much as I do. They were one of those bands that was always there to hear when I was growing up, so they always stuck with me. A radio station I used to listen to as a kid played them constantly, so they were frequently present in my life.

Band: Jamiroquai
Song: Alright
Year: 1997
Why: I'm sure you would have preferred I posted something like "Virtual Insanity" but this whole album, Travelling Without Moving, is exceptional. It might even hold the Guinness World Record for the highest selling funk album of all time, selling over 11 million copies worldwide, but I don't feel like fact checking that further.

Band: Adam & The Ants
Song: Killer in the Home
Year: 1980
Why: I will always have a soft spot in my heart for new wave. When asked in a reddit AMA, true crime author and investigative journalist Billy Jensen stated that if he were a professional fighter, he would walk out to this song. Brilliant choice, and it's the song of the day.

Band: The Mars Volta
Song: Eriatarka
Year: 2003
Why: For whatever reason, after this album, De-Loused in the Comatorium, came out in 2003, the band went from massively acclaimed geniuses to "been there, done that" in the blink of an eye. They released so much more terrific music, and it got even weirder over the years (I'm looking at you Amputechture). Critics kept loving them, but they seemed to fade away in the spotlight as garbage music took over in the mid to late 2000s. Doesn't matter, I loved them, and there's rumor that they'll be getting back together sooner than later, which I hope happens.

Band: The Mars Volta
Song: Eriatarka
Why: For whatever reason, after this album, De-Loused in the Comatorium, came out in 2003, the band went from massively acclaimed geniuses to "been there, done that" in the blink of an eye. They released so much more terrific music, and it got even weirder over the years (I'm looking at you Amputechture). Critics kept loving them, but they seemed to fade away in the spotlight as garbage music took over in the mid to late 2000s. Doesn't matter, I loved them, and there's rumor that they'll be getting back together sooner than later, which I hope happens.

They won the rock album grammy in 2008 for The Bedlam in Goliath.

Great song and one of my GOAT albums.

They won the rock album grammy in 2008 for The Bedlam in Goliath.

Great song and one of my GOAT albums.
Those hard rock grammies broke my heart over the years, I'm glad they stopped doing them. The rock grammy award is a joke now, Coldplay won it once, and they're about the worst band ever.

But like I said, critics kept loving them, but their releases didn't manage more than blips on the radars of my anecdotal music circles, and I swim in some crazy prog circles. That didn't stop me from buying their albums and listening to them like crazy, I loved "Tetragrammaton" and all of its 16 minute glory.

Band: Boards of Canada
Song: Dayvan Cowboy
Year: 2005
Why: Let's slow things down a little with some BOC, especially after the mayhem from The Mars Volta.

Artist: Katy Rose
Song: Overdrive
Why: I'm just as surprised as you are. I didn't even know I owned this album.

Band: Dire Straits
Song: Sultans of Swing
Year: 1978
Why: This song made me want to learn how to play guitar. Not learning how to play an instrument well is one of my biggest regrets.

Band: Dire Straits
Song: Sultans of Swing
Year: 1978
Why: This song made me want to learn how to play guitar. Not learning how to play an instrument well is one of my biggest regrets.

That whole album is great.

Why didn't you learn to play guitar (well) if you wanted to? And is it too late?

Band: Ladytron
Song: Paco!
Year: 2000
Why: Let's get weird.

Back