2018 - Worst World Leaders Olympics [International Posters Unite!]

@Cuauhtemoc it's all in good fun, but I did move Erdogan up to #4, ahead of Temer, and Maduro up to #8, after adding a couple metrics.

How is Temer more oppressive to his opponents than Erdogan and Maduro? Maduro puts his opponents in jail and Erdogan didn't put his opponent(gulen) in jail because he fled to the US.

It's a matter of relative opinion, but I think Temer, as an avatar for his party and for private interests, symbolizes greater contravention of democracy on account of the fact that he's more unpopular than the other two (which is insane given the state of the Venezuelan economy), is being pretty plainly propped up by his party colleagues despite his many scandals, and because of his party's active suppression of a far more popular (populist) alternative.

Meanwhile, for the other two, they get the benefit of two considerations: (i) Maduro is facing reprehensible economic sanctions, fighting off insurrection funded by insidious regional oligarchs, and has made conscious efforts to compromise with his opponents, and (ii) Erdogan is extremely popular. Also, in the interest of transparency, I do think that Leopoldo Lopez and Henrique Capriles are both utter scumbags, even if Maduro is an incompetent stooge.

About Macron, I wouldn't say disappointing because his campaign was so vague I don't even know what he stood up for. But he has done little regardless.

I think Macron has benefited immensely from the fact that his comparators (Trump and May) are so woefully incompetent and humiliating to their countries, that his dry appearance of pragmatism has served to disguise otherwise-odious neoliberal policies. The French are famously critical of their political leaders and intolerant if mediocrity, and I think right now he's benefiting from a worldwide new found appreciation for mediocrity compared to madmen.

Last edited:
You’re deflecting. Assad started a fight more than Trump (who hasn’t started any wars), but through bias, Trump is on the list and not Assad. It’s flagrant bias.

He didnt started the fight.

@Cuauhtemoc it's all in good fun, but I did move Erdogan up to #4, ahead of Temer, and Maduro up to #8, after adding a couple metrics.

It's a matter of relative opinion, but I think Temer, as an avatar for his party and for private interests, symbolizes greater contravention of democracy on account of the fact that he's more unpopular than the other two (which is insane given the state of the Venezuelan economy), is being pretty plainly propped up by his party colleagues despite his many scandals, and because of his party's active suppression of a far more popular (populist) alternative.

Meanwhile, for the other two, they get the benefit of two considerations: (i) Maduro is facing reprehensible economic sanctions, fighting off insurrection funded by insidious regional oligarchs, and has made conscious efforts to compromise with his opponents, and (ii) Erdogan is extremely popular. Also, in the interest of transparency, I do think that Leopoldo Lopez and Henrique Capriles are both utter scumbags, even if Maduro is an incompetent stooge.
I think what you said about Temer is true, his party has been able to keep an extremely unpopular leader through political maneuvering but I wouldn't label that as suppression of political opponents in itself.
I think a similar situation would be if Trump acted in a more populist way and the GOP engineered a legal way to get rid of him to put Pence on top.
That is, I believe Temer/his party betrayed Dilma but for better or worse he figured a legit way to impeach her because she screwed up.
When I think about political suppression I think about guys like Putin that simply go on and murder or arrest people that oppose him.

About Maduro, I don't blame the Venezuelan economy problems on him, I think the biggest problem they face are the sanctions and I agree he is just mostly incompetent. However, López being a scumbag or not, I think the chavistas shouldn't have imprisoned him.

I think what you said about Temer is true, his party has been able to keep an extremely unpopular leader through political maneuvering but I wouldn't label that as suppression of political opponents in itself.
I think a similar situation would be if Trump acted in a more populist way and the GOP engineered a legal way to get rid of him to put Pence on top.
That is, I believe Temer/his party betrayed Dilma but for better or worse he figured a legit way to impeach her because she screwed up.
When I think about political suppression I think about guys like Putin that simply go on and murder or arrest people that oppose him.

About Maduro, I don't blame the Venezuelan economy problems on him, I think the biggest problem they face are the sanctions and I agree he is just mostly incompetent. However, López being a scumbag or not, I think the chavistas shouldn't have imprisoned him.

At the very least, I like that Temer never pretended to be a populist, really. Trump did. In terms of the populism spectrum, you have:

Rodrigo Duterte - ran as a reactionary populist and has more or less governed as a populist

Michel Temer - ran as a traditional privatist crusader for the ultra wealthy and powerful and governs as such

Donald Trump - ran as a reactionary populist, and now has governed like a privatist crusader for the ultra wealthy, easily the worst of all three. But he at least gets the benefit of the doubt that he's just a fucking moron and might just not even realize how badly he's screwing his supporters.

Do you primarily live in Brazil or Portugal? I'm really ashamed of how little I know about Portugal..

I still think in the grand scheme of things this isn't as big an issue as what Russia has done in Georgia, Ukraine, and their scorched Earth policy almost in Chechnya.

Seriously, Japan is literally the ONLY country I can think of that has a leash on weather they can pull the trigger first. Given their location and proximity to NK that seems a bit unfair IMO.
It's just a nomination to get the name out there. I'm not saying he should win. Did I imply that?

Last edited:
Trudeau in Canada actually passes bills against free speech and he doesn't make the cut over Trump because of some comments?

I smell bullshit.

I didn't see this earlier.

That bill had little if any implications for the freedom of the press.

Donald Trump has launched a disinformation and hate campaign against literally all American outlets that reports facts that don't make him look good, has regularly undermined factual reporting and used his delusions to dodge questions, and has placed unprecedented limitations on the access of press outlets he does not like.

If Trump's childish paranoia were only directed at CNN, a professionally solid but relatively unimportant cables news outlet, that would be tolerable. But when he goes after pillars of American investigative journalism and new reporting like the NY Times, Wall Street Journal (which has been extremely favorable to him), WashPo, ABC, Los Angeles Times, Politico, etc. - that's un-fucking-acceptable.

And Trump's attacks have been against outlets that have centrist or right-leaning skews. It's not even like he's going after far-left magazines. Instead, he's just creating a giant wedge between his supporters and reality.

At the very least, I like that Temer never pretended to be a populist, really. Trump did. In terms of the populism spectrum, you have:

Rodrigo Duterte - ran as a reactionary populist and has more or less governed as a populist

Michel Temer - ran as a traditional privatist crusader for the ultra wealthy and powerful and governs as such

Donald Trump - ran as a reactionary populist, and now has governed like a privatist crusader for the ultra wealthy, easily the worst of all three. But he at least gets the benefit of the doubt that he's just a fucking moron and might just not even realize how badly he's screwing his supporters.

Do you primarily live in Brazil or Portugal? I'm really ashamed of how little I know about Portugal..
Brazil, I was never able to secure a job in Portugal, heh. I only got citizenship because of family ties and it's nice to have an EU passport. I used it to study a broad a bit but that's it.
I don't know a lot about Portugal's current politics either...I know more about its history.

No President Xi for most oppressive @ the media?

Also, I cast an across the board ballot for the Little Rocket Man.

I recently saw a segment on some comedy show about the sorry state of world leadership, particularly in the West, and thought this would be a fun topic to get together, Sherbros of the world, and discuss how fucking awful our political representatives are.

Of course, much of this discussion is relative to the countries and governments in which the leaders operate (Trudeaus of the world having a much harder curve than Al Sauds). But, nevertheless, let's discuss. And if you have any categories I am leaving out, or have a world leader that's not getting enough love, do speak up. I'm no international politics expert, so I'm really only privy to the world stage big hitters.

Most Oppressive (citizens)

1. Kim Jong-Un (North Korea)
2. Bashar al-Assad (Syria)
3a. Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud (Saudi Arabia)
3b. Rodrigo Duterte (Philippines)

Most Oppressive (political opponents) (democracies)

1. Vladimir Putin (Russia)
2. Michel Temer (Brazil)
3a. Nicolas Maduro (Venezuela)
3b. Recep Erdogan (Turkey)

Most Antagonist to the Free Press

2. Recep Erdogan (Turkey)
3a. Donald Trump (United States)
3b. Vladimir Putin (Russia)

Most Corrupt

2. Michel Temer (Brazil)
3a. Benjamin Netanyahu (Israel)
3b. Donald Trump (United States)
3c. Nicolas Maduro (Venezuela)

Most Contraventions of Legal Norms

1. Recep Erdogan (Turkey)
2. Donald Trump (United States
3. Nicolas Maduro (Venezuela)

Least Transparent

2. Vladimir Putin (Russia)
3. Donald Trump (United States)

Least Popular

1. Michel Temer (Brazil)
2. Jacob Zuma (South Africa)
3. Uhuru Kenyatta (Kenya)

Most Incompetent

1. Donald Trump (United States)
2. Theresa May (United Kingdom)

Most Embarrassing
3. Justin Trudeau (Canada)

Most Unstable

1. Aung San Suu Kyi (Burma)
2. Rodrigo Duterte (Philippines)

Most warmongering

1. Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud (Saudi Arabia)
2. Benjamin Netanyahu (Israel)

Most unsightly

1. Angela Merkel (Germany) (had to think up a category for her to be in)
2. Donald Trump (United States)
3. Kim Jong-Un (North Korea)

Most disappointing

2. Emmanuel Macron (France)

us-t.gif
United States (Donald Trump) - 8 Medals (2 gold) - 15 pts
North-Korea-Flag-icon.png
North Korea (Kim Jong-Un) - 4 Medals (3 gold) - 10 pts
rs-t.gif
Russia (Vladimir Putin) - 4 Medals (2 gold) - 9 pts
tr-t.gif
Turkey (Recep Erdogan) - 4 Medals (1 gold) - 7 pts
br-t.gif
Brazil (Michel Temer ) - 3 Medals (1 gold) - 7 pts
myanmar_flag-t.png
Myanmar/Burma (Aung San Suu Kyi) - 2 Medals (2 gold) - 6 pts
sa-t.gif
Saudi Arabia (Prince al Saud) - 2 Medals (1 Gold) - 4 pts
venezuela_flag-t.gif
Venezuela (Nicolas Maduro) - 4 Medals - 4 pts
uk-t.gif
United Kingdom (Theresa May) - 2 Medals - 4 pts

10a.
philippines-t.gif
Philippines (Rodrigo Duterte) - 2 Medals - 3 pts
10b.
israel-t.gif
Israel (Benjamin Neteyahu) - 3 Medals - 3 pts
Egypt should be in there somewhere. The latest elections rigging and attacks on candidates is a clear reminder that Egypt is a dictatorship.

I vote Netanyahu for all categories. Israel is currently in 10th place. Like the US congress, I want Israel 1st.

I think the international critical consensus is that Xi has been the single most effective world leader in this era.

I originally had him for "antagonism of free press," but I narrowed it to the top three, since "3a, 3b, 3c, etc." looks kinda tacky.

He's a brutal dictator. But none of that yields the inference of instability or unpredictability, really.

Huh? That was in response to Assad. You said Assad should be listed for warmongering.

I don't think anyone here is unknowing of my (and most's) opinion of Trump, but this was also to mine our entire community's distaste with their leaders. Also, I dislike Temer more than Trump.

I did try my absolute best to be objective on my personal lists, which is why I failed to include Trump on some that he could have made a great case on.

Xi is a stronger Putin with a system in place below him stronger than the Soviet union and a homogenous population.

Tener could lose to jair bolsonaro believe it or not.

Because his family's regime has been uninterrupted for decades through totalitarian control?

Also, he's much more measured, pragmatic, and predictable than any of Erdogan, Duterte, or Trump.

He hasn't made overtures toward countries other than his own....

He's pretty obviously (and needlessly) pushed the US closer to military engagement with Iran and North Korea. He's rapidly devalued relations with Cuba and Venezuela as well.

???

Duterte - Populist/Leftist - 2 placements
Trudeau - Liberal, 1 placement
Maduro - Leftist - 2 placements
San Suu Kyi - Liberal - 1 placement
Zuma - Liberal - 1 placement

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, man. I hope we can still be friends.

I tHinksey he means multicultlaim and cultural Marxism stuff.
I recently saw a segment on some comedy show about the sorry state of world leadership, particularly in the West, and thought this would be a fun topic to get together, Sherbros of the world, and discuss how fucking awful our political representatives are.

Of course, much of this discussion is relative to the countries and governments in which the leaders operate (Trudeaus of the world having a much harder curve than Al Sauds). But, nevertheless, let's discuss. And if you have any categories I am leaving out, or have a world leader that's not getting enough love, do speak up. I'm no international politics expert, so I'm really only privy to the world stage big hitters.

2. Michel Temer (Brazil)

Most Corrupt

2. Michel Temer (Brazil)

Least Transparent

Least Popular

1. Michel Temer (Brazil)

Most Incompetent

Most Embarrassing

Most Unstable

Most warmongering

Most unsightly

Most disappointing

us-t.gif
rs-t.gif
tr-t.gif
br-t.gif
myanmar_flag-t.png
sa-t.gif
venezuela_flag-t.gif
uk-t.gif

10a.
philippines-t.gif
10b.
israel-t.gif

Netanyahu had very little corruption compared to South american or African leaders. He took luxury trips and accepted cigars and fany wine lol. My leaders from home take millions and sell out not eople for immigrants thank God Marxism but for economic rights to the west.

Putin is as corrupt as he is allowed to be and he is at least effective leader

Putin has just recently forbidden his only political opponent from challenging him in a "free" election. I think given the size and place of Russia on the world stage, that's so abominable that the UN should take major action. You expect that from godawful little hellholes, but not from a leading power. They should at least have their veto revoked.

Yet, it's not even really a topic of discussion. That is exceptionally strange. Good call putting him at #1.

That is stupid. Your Russia hate is nsane what about China? They have far more censorship and power than Russia? Should they lose it to? By way Putin banned a guy who is way more 'hardcore' and racist then he could ever be called. Or you want a Navalny to win to turn Russia into state that attacks non native russiano who live in homeland for hundreds of years?

The thread should be called "World's worst leaders according to liberals".

Egypt should be in there somewhere. The latest elections rigging and attacks on candidates is a clear reminder that Egypt is a dictatorship.

Egypt also supports expelling and killing of its native minority population. Pakistan should also be on the list. But I think he wanted a list of known leaders. Because all of Subsaharan Africa could easily be on top.

I vote Netanyahu for all categories. Israel is currently in 10th place. Like the US congress, I want Israel 1st.

Your delusional man. Israel is so globally small and affects nobody but Israelis and Palestinians

2. Michel Temer (Brazil)

Most Corrupt

2. Michel Temer (Brazil)

Least Transparent

Least Popular

1. Michel Temer (Brazil)

Most Incompetent

Most Embarrassing

Most Unstable

Most warmongering

Most unsightly

Most disappointing

us-t.gif
rs-t.gif
tr-t.gif
br-t.gif
myanmar_flag-t.png
sa-t.gif
venezuela_flag-t.gif
uk-t.gif

10a.
philippines-t.gif
10b.
israel-t.gif

I am okay with this but for sure you will get heat from the Duterte apologists around here or anywhere else.

I think we should also make a new Category Most annoying leader! I mean for those leaders who like to call names

Putin has just recently forbidden his only political opponent from challenging him in a "free" election. I think given the size and place of Russia on the world stage, that's so abominable that the UN should take major action. You expect that from godawful little hellholes, but not from a leading power. They should at least have their veto revoked.

Yet, it's not even really a topic of discussion. That is exceptionally strange. Good call putting him at #1.

Yeah Definitely Putin I think he is the most threatening of them all there is just no check and balance in Russia at this moment and I think after the USA Russia is the next most powerful Military in the world.

Think about that for a second.

Yeah Definitely Putin I think he is the most threatening of them all there is just no check and balance in Russia at this moment and I think after the USA Russia is the next most powerful Military in the world.

Think about that for a second.
Well he's the dictator of the only leading nation that is still conquering territory of UN members (and Ukraine is a founding member). That alone should get that nation removed from world power completely.

Back