2020 Unity Ticket

As my only option againt Trump? Sure

But Kasich is still a pretty standard Republican. If not for the crazies he was running against, he was still proposing the largest tax cuts to the wealthy, ever.

He may admit humans cause climate change, he still proposes shit that would make it much worse.

He is (at least during the campaign) on the repeal and replace wagon for Obamacare, instead of working to fix what is wrong.

Also, despite saying we should not police the world, is in favor of policing the world.

I mean, he is a pretty standard Republican candidate, and him having a Dem vp would not change any of that.

No thanks.

They would be running as independents so that sounds like a good way to get Trump re-elected. If they could somehow win the Democratic nomination then I'd begrudgingly vote for them. An even better idea would be for Kasich to primary Trump. Then make the Republican ticket the unity ticket.

Interesting to see that our left leaning friends would vote Kasich over Clinton considering their economic views are pretty different, especially with tax policy. I think that speaks volumes on the way she carries herself / and judgment on her character.

However, if we are talking about a coalition that stamps out the religious social nuttery of the right and free hand out economic views / safe space bubble of the left -- then sign me up

Depends on who it is. A Trump/Bernie ticket would be great.

Well I hear you, but the left and the right will never agree. When I think of unity I think that at least we could come together and discus or hash it out with debate. And at the end of the day, we're still friends, we're one country and people are not going around sucker punching Trump voters ("get him, he voted Trump") or throwing objects at the other side.

Well I am not really a leftist, I'm more in he center on actual issues. Social issues I tend to lean left, other issues I lean right, especially gun rights. I respect everyone's right to vote for who they feel is best, I'm not mad at anyone who voted Trump. I may disagree with you on how good a job he's doing but it's not personal.

Id consider voting for that and I think it sends the kind of message our country needs to hear.

Also, despite saying we should not police the world, is in favor of policing the world.

I have kinda come to the realization that we have to no matter how annoying it is because no other nation is strong like us and even if we dont wanna believe it the world is fulla bad dudes that would take advantage in a heartbeat if they new they could

No thanks.

They would be running as independents so that sounds like a good way to get Trump re-elected. If they could somehow win the Democratic nomination then I'd begrudgingly vote for them. An even better idea would be for Kasich to primary Trump. Then make the Republican ticket the unity ticket.
Very true, and I would definitely not vote for them if I thought it was going to give Trump the win. I honestly don't think he's going to want 4 more years of this though. He can't love this job.

Never heard of chickenlooper until now. Governor of marijuana state colorado. No thanks.

liberals would never support Kasich, he's a repeal and replace kind of guy. They hold too much pride with obamacare and getting rid of it is inherently racist. Kasich is white, so he's racist too.

The problem with a bi-partisan ticket is that people are deeply partisan.

Dems running with repubs and vice versa is a step in the right direction towards dismantling the idea that there are even two parties to choose from.

Are we seriously going to have to watch kasich stuff his disgusting fucking face while he gets trounced in the polls month after month again?

Fuck it, it was funny the first time, let's do it.

On a serious note, that would lock up 20 for Trump. Perhaps this is Dems building in an excuse for losing in 20? Blame the unity ticket for splitting the vote?

liberals would never support Kasich, he's a repeal and replace kind of guy. They hold too much pride with obamacare and getting rid of it is inherently racist. Kasich is white, so he's racist too.

Repeal is not politically popular anyway. Republicans control the entire federal government and cannot get it done. So he'd probably walk back on the repeal rhetoric and embrace "making it better" in a bi-partisan manner. If someone tries to call him out on it, he'll simply say that Republicans had their chance to repeal and couldn't get it done so now its all about compromise and that is what the "unity ticket" represents. No real unity ticket is going to work if both sides dig in and double down on ideological stances.

Liberals don't care about Obama care. If republicans were going to make it better or replace it with something better they would be all for it. Sadly that is not even close to what republicans are trying to do.

As my only option againt Trump? Sure

But Kasich is still a pretty standard Republican. If not for the crazies he was running against, he was still proposing the largest tax cuts to the wealthy, ever.

He may admit humans cause climate change, he still proposes shit that would make it much worse.

He is (at least during the campaign) on the repeal and replace wagon for Obamacare, instead of working to fix what is wrong.

I mean, he is a pretty standard Republican candidate, and him having a Dem vp would not change any of that.

Bingo. Though that was the last campaign. If he had a "unity platform," that could change my mind. What would that be, though? Maybe:

1. Revenue-neutral tax reform that cuts corporate taxes and income taxes from the bottom, introduces a carbon tax, and increases capital gains taxes.
2. Some kind of border-security program and a crackdown on overstayed visas combined with a points-based immigration system that increases high-skill immigration.
3. A solid infrastructure-improvement plan. Both parties say they want this, but Republicans blocked Obama on the issue, and Trump's plan was so badly thought-out that it just quietly died.
4. Shoring up SS funding by raising the contribution cap.
5. And I think a real unity campaign should take on gerrymandering and voter suppression and promise moderate SCOTUS appointments.

It would still be hard to get a lot done, but those are positive steps that could be taken.

Interesting to see that our left leaning friends would vote Kasich over Clinton considering their economic views are pretty different, especially with tax policy. I think that speaks volumes on the way she carries herself / and judgment on her character.

Or the success of the GOP hit job. Clinton's character is like Kerry's military service--a point of strength that the opposition targeted with dishonest attacks and turned into a weakness. But also it speaks volumes about the composition of the posters here. Very few actual liberals would vote Kasich over Clinton (and on the other side, she got a big chunk of people who voted Kasich in the primary).

I've been wanting a split ticket option for years. Can't say who the idea candidates are. In theory they wouldn't be any worse than the usual slop.

Back