23 year old to start MMA

assademre

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am 23 years old and have no experience of any martial arts or any combat sports. I'm 5'7" and 120 lbs. So I wonder if I can be good at MMA. I don't dream about being champion or carrier in UFC but, I want to be good at MMA. Can I achieve this or am i pretty old for it? And my second question is if it is young for starting to MMA, how can I understand to course which I'm gonna take is adequate?
Thanks for your interest

You're 23 and you're asking if you're too old? {<doc}

Get yourself to a reputable gym (read reviews make sure it isnt a McDojo) in your area. Let it be an MMA gym, BJJ gym, Muay thai gym, boxing gym, whatever.

Go enjoy the pushing your body and achieving shit you didnt think was possible. Consistency and determination >> Physical traits so dont give up when it gets tough. You'll feel better mentally and physically.

Just do it. You can get really, really good if you put the time in. It will take years, but the progress will be gradual. You can fight too if you want sure. Whether or not you'll hit any big shows who knows, but you seem realistic about that expectation.

What you need to do is to take care of your body though. You say you don't have any martial arts experience, but what's your sports experience? Have you been a couch potato for ages or are you in good shape? Injury history? Also, 120lbs sounds like you're extremely skinny.

Dude randy couture started at like 35 lol
Randy had his UFC debut at 34, but he had been wrestling for 20 years at that point. He was also a high school state champion, an NCAA D1 All American, and an Olympic team alternate 3 times before he made his MMA debut.

Just do it. You can get really, really good if you put the time in. It will take years, but the progress will be gradual. You can fight too if you want sure. Whether or not you'll hit any big shows who knows, but you seem realistic about that expectation.

What you need to do is to take care of your body though. You say you don't have any martial arts experience, but what's your sports experience? Have you been a couch potato for ages or are you in good shape? Injury history? Also, 120lbs sounds like you're extremely skinny.

I am extremely skinny, i am just interested with trekking. Thank you all for supporting me

you are never too old for anything until you decide you are too old
only way you can know is to try

You're 23 and you're asking if you're too old? {<doc}

Get yourself to a reputable gym (read reviews make sure it isnt a McDojo) in your area. Let it be an MMA gym, BJJ gym, Muay thai gym, boxing gym, whatever.

Go enjoy the pushing your body and achieving shit you didnt think was possible. Consistency and determination >> Physical traits so dont give up when it gets tough. You'll feel better mentally and physically.

this. Get into it, find a gym and do some reading about diet and strength/conditioning. youll thank yourself endlessly in a few years time

Hi guys,
I am 23 years old and have no experience of any martial arts or any combat sports. I'm 5'7" and 120 lbs. So I wonder if I can be good at MMA. I don't dream about being champion or carrier in UFC but, I want to be good at MMA. Can I achieve this or am i pretty old for it? And my second question is if it is young for starting to MMA, how can I understand to course which I'm gonna take is adequate?
Thanks for your interest

tbh the problem i see with your age is your size.. you being 120 means youll prob be fighting at 125 since its hard t find 115 fights the smaller guys are the much more technical and skill you need if you were a lhw or a hw you dont need as much technique as to say a smaller guy look at guys like henry cujudo he has problems taking guys down at 125 and hes a olympic gold medalist in wrestling tbh i think as a hw u can go pro pretty easily within 3-4 years as a lhw or hw if you are smaller like your size id say a good 6 years

Randy had his UFC debut at 34, but he had been wrestling for 20 years at that point. He was also a high school state champion, an NCAA D1 All American, and an Olympic team alternate 3 times before he made his MMA debut.

Sounds like he was pretty fucking lazy until he turned 34 .

Back