2nd Fight - got a cool trophy

Samuel Reynoso

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I had my second fight on Friday. The difference is night and day form my fight 8 months ago. I feel like I did well, but now after seeing video of myself I understand what my coaches have been trying to tell me. I have a number of skills, and tactics that need to be added. If I were someone else watching my fight I would of thought I was a hotdog with a few moves, and I would not have been impressed.

Please feel free to be critical. I'm the guy in blue. It's ony the 2nd, and 3rd round. Thanks.

Things I see.
  • I don't jab
  • I don't throw in combination
  • When I make him miss I don't throw anything back
  • I don't move around the ring
  • I don't pivot out of danger
  • I'm too bouncy
  • I lose track of distince when I come forward
  • I crowd myself when I get him on the ropes
  • I wait for things to be perfect
  • I reset if anything brushes my face
  • I fight in modes

Nice job man! Showed some good stuff in there, especially for your 2nd fight. I actually move a little simularly to how you do, so I can relate to a few things.

1. Be careful when you're coming forward. You jump in a lot with your chin in the air and hands down. You slip and use your speed to avoid some of the punches coming forward, but it's a dangerous game. Tuck the chin.

Notice how when you stay back and he comes to you, you're in a much better position to defend yourself. It's clear you are naturally bouncy and can change direction of force very well, which is great, but just be weary of rising up, bouncing, chin up and hands down into a counter shot. Be responsible with your defense while attacking.

2. Use the jab more. You were in perfect jab range a lot of the time while you two were feinting a little bit. Pop the jab, make him commit, then you can really use your bounce to sidestep or turn and then counter him.

3. Sit down a little more on your punches. Again, you have a tendency to come up. It's not necessarily bad all the time, but you'd still want to practice sitting down more because you want that option in tight situations.

4. If you want to mix it in the shell, learn to do it correctly. Tuck the chin more, protect with the shoulder more.

You probably already know this, but it never hurts to watch the basics again:

You've got a lot of things going for you, so stay safe, be smart and keep working!

Wow nice fight man. That was very good for a second fight.

Now for the criticism. If I'm being honest I thought your opponent won. He was very slick and his punch technique was much cleaner. Seems like he has a lot more experience than you imo.

1) The biggest thing that I can see wrong is where you are looking. You are looking directly at his face instead of his shoulders, and your chin is very high.

2) The next point is the sitting on your punches part. You need to use your legs and get lower with them, if you need to widen your stance for now then that's ok but you are standing very tall basically not bending your knees enough.

The lower you get the more it will burn your back quad, but that will condition your leg to get used to it.

Congrats on the win. Definitely try to get lower in your stance because you are good

Good job man. I don't know enough to critique your technique, but you look on point at this stage in the game. Well done.

Things I see.
  • I don't jab
  • I don't throw in combination
  • When I make him miss I don't throw anything back
  • I don't move around the ring
  • I don't pivot out of danger
  • I'm too bouncy
  • I lose track of distince when I come forward
  • I crowd myself when I get him on the ropes
  • I wait for things to be perfect
  • I reset if anything brushes my face
  • I fight in modes

I just had my first smoker and had these same problems. I ran circles around the opponent landing leg kicks etc, but he would occasionally rush me and I would end up eating a punch and getting tied up against the ropes for a few seconds before re establishing distance.

Sure is fucking different fighting in front of a crowd of supporters / people supporting your opponent. Looks real sweet fighting outside though, I'm a bit jealous.

Now's the fun work of getting stronger, and better before the next time.

You sound like you have the right attitude to fix what you need to and I look forward seeing to your next fight if you upload it meng

Last edited:
Nice job man! Showed some good stuff in there, especially for your 2nd fight. I actually move a little simularly to how you do, so I can relate to a few things.

1. Be careful when you're coming forward. You jump in a lot with your chin in the air and hands down. You slip and use your speed to avoid some of the punches coming forward, but it's a dangerous game. Tuck the chin.

Notice how when you stay back and he comes to you, you're in a much better position to defend yourself. It's clear you are naturally bouncy and can change direction of force very well, which is great, but just be weary of rising up, bouncing, chin up and hands down into a counter shot. Be responsible with your defense while attacking.

2. Use the jab more. You were in perfect jab range a lot of the time while you two were feinting a little bit. Pop the jab, make him commit, then you can really use your bounce to sidestep or turn and then counter him.

3. Sit down a little more on your punches. Again, you have a tendency to come up. It's not necessarily bad all the time, but you'd still want to practice sitting down more because you want that option in tight situations.

4. If you want to mix it in the shell, learn to do it correctly. Tuck the chin more, protect with the shoulder more.

You probably already know this, but it never hurts to watch the basics again:

You've got a lot of things going for you, so stay safe, be smart and keep working!

Thanks man. I appreciate you taking the time to give me feedback.

It's frustrating watching all that bouncing, and rising out of my stance. It's frustrating not because they were mistakes, but because it was a choice I made to avoid actually boxing. I didn't just step in, or around, and get to work. I looked for him to make his own mistakes and attack like a goober.

On the plus side, I think I'm just going to accept that I use a shell. It's something I feel extremely comfortable in, and my coaches have started to be cool with me doing it. Until recently I've been instructed to resist the urge, but then I end up putting my left hand down by my side like I did in the last half of the second round. I find it very difficult to never use a shell.

Last edited:
Wow nice fight man. That was very good for a second fight.

Now for the criticism. If I'm being honest I thought your opponent won. He was very slick and his punch technique was much cleaner. Seems like he has a lot more experience than you imo.

1) The biggest thing that I can see wrong is where you are looking. You are looking directly at his face instead of his shoulders, and your chin is very high.

2) The next point is the sitting on your punches part. You need to use your legs and get lower with them, if you need to widen your stance for now then that's ok but you are standing very tall basically not bending your knees enough.

The lower you get the more it will burn your back quad, but that will condition your leg to get used to it.

Congrats on the win. Definitely try to get lower in your stance because you are good

Well, I think I did enough, but he did hit me with a ton of jabs, and a sweet lefthook.

It's funny that you mention I was looking at his face, because I usually look too low. I noticed a few weeks ago I always look at peoples belly, and I don't look at my target on the bag. I thought I'd try eye contact to see if I noticed a difference.

I'll try to get lower too. It feels a little exaggerated when I get low. My legs feel like they go out for miles, but I can see its all in my head. It's weird, but a lot of my technique feels more natural after my fight. I probably have less doubt in whether, or not this stuff works.

I just had my first smoker and had these same problems. I ran circles around the opponent landing leg kicks etc, but he would occasionally rush me and I would end up eating a punch and getting tied up against the ropes for a few seconds before re establishing distance.

Sure is fucking different fighting in front of a crowd of supporters / people supporting your opponent. Looks real sweet fighting outside though, I'm a bit jealous.

Now's the fun work of getting stronger, and better before the next time.

You sound like you have the right attitude to fix what you need to and I look forward seeing to your next fight if you upload it meng

Look at that view!!!

I felt like Jack Dempsey in a carnival fight.

Back