3 nightmare matchups for prime Fedor(in depth)

If you're not living in the past then yes.
There's a reason why cro cop got ko'd by gonzaga.
ok this is bull now...
"there's a reason thomas hearns got knocked out by Iran Barkley". oh i wonder what's that reason, oh luck of a perfectly times strike against a guy of a higher weight class who's light years less skilled. Gonzaga hits hard, he's a naturally thick fucking human being with 20 pounds over CC during that fight(after a weight cut).
Hearns would have easily won the rematch, same way CC won the gonzaga rematch.

I'm pretty sure in ur eyes stipe's community center golden gloves are more impressive than Cro Cop winning k1 GP titles. if u have a boxing bias, Cro Cop as an old man outstruck Jarrell Miller who is now ranked in the top 10 HW in boxing.

Freddie roach(pacquiao's trainer) coached andrei Arlovski for the fedor fight, and still fedor KO'd him in the first round via a punch too.

Overeem knocked down stipe with a right that he didn't even time, measure, nor was even following a jab:
knockdown-vs-overeem.gif

Look at stipe's genius level strike IQ^ (i'm gonna stick out both my palms open, that'll definitely do something). that was sarcasm... just in case.

But in the end, times change technique evolves, but somehow even the hardcore fans such urself are blinded by bias towards their contemporary champions. No different than people who whined when old fart detached retina bisping ko'd the belt off rockhold. If Bisping was a decade younger nobody would have called it a fluke.

Fedor is like Michael Jordan, he has reached a level of mystique that his GOAT status is unquestionable. All sports evolve and the level of competition gets better because of all the new training methods, information sharing, freedom of movement, sports science etc.
We are also in the social media era where every move on and off the field (cage etc) is under the microscope, athletes like Fedor and Jordan didn't have to experience this, we only got to see their performances which has built up their legend even more.
the two true GOAT's are from Cleveland.

Disclaimer: I don't hate Fedor,i think he's one of the greatest fighters of all time.but the sport has evolved and there are few fighters that are bad matchups for Fedor.not saying they could beat fedor 100%.all of them have a chance of getting ko by fedor
1:Stipe Miocic
lets be honest about fedor for a moment,fedor was not a good technical striker,hes a brawler that moves like a welterweight.that what made him successful in hw back then.fedor always throw wild punch and hooks.it work for him against not average strikers like most of his opponent but that won't work against someone like stipe and would get himself ko'd because stipe technical boxing is much better than fedor.
fedor style works great against fighters that are not a high-level striker like, big nog, Randleman, and Fujita but he would get absolutely countered by high level boxer/striker like stipe.the Arlovski-fedor fight shows that Fedor style was very vulnerable to countering and Arlovski technical striking is not even remotely close to stipe level.

giphy.gif
(4 gifs in 1 gif)
and stipe is really good at countering.hooks,straight punches.one good counter punch would put fedor to sleep.

giphy.gif
NiceFeminineCub.gif
giphy.gif

even in the cro cop-fedor fight show that fedor was vulnerable to counter, especially straight punch which is stipe best and most powerful strike.stipe jab/straight punch is way more powerful and more precise than cro cop one
giphy.gif
(2 gifs in 1 gif)
2: Prime JDS:
this one is easier than other 2 because jds physical attributes surpass Fedor(fedor main weapon) and his technical boxing is better than fedor.jds can match fedor speed,hit harder(ko werdum,cain with a single punch), and more athletic.jds also got better footwork,in and out movement(one of the factor in this fight), and more variety on feet.if Fujita was able to hurt fedor then jds can definitely ko him.
3:Techreem aka economicalreem
this one is controversial due to Overeem chin but i think this is probably the worst matchup for Fedor because overeem is much more skilled than fedor in every area.fedor is a brawler(sometimes technical) with little to no footwork.overeem technical striking is even better than stipe miocic, especially counter striking.fedor hope of catching Overeem on feet is lower than jds who got tool'd by overeem.fedor wild style would easily get countered by overeem.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
overeem-ko-jds.gif

and this wont be just a boxing match,overeem would throw leg kicks,body kicks and other types of kicks
,other than the cro cop fight where fedor check 1 leg kick.fedor has shown to be affected by leg kick as shown in the big nog-fedor 3 fight and the Arlovski fight
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

4: incoming typical replies :
"Fedor outstruck and beat cro cop on feet"
Cro cop is not a great striker if you compare him to today elite strikers.cro cop got little to no footwork and his strategy is/was too obvious.cro cop was good against stationary fighter and always has a problem with pressure fighter
"Fedor was out of his prime when he fought arlovski"
Fedor was 31 or 32 years old when he fought arlovski.theres no evidence of him declining at that time.you can make a argument that he's not in his prime anymore after the werdum fight but not when he fought arlovski,and not in your physical prime shouldn't affect your skills.

I'm a fan of Fedor. I'm not a fan of fantasy land. Last time I checked, we do NOT have the ability to travel through time, since it only goes forward and NOT backward.

When you find a way to travel back in time to whenever you think Fedor's prime was, let me know, and I will discuss. Until then, I will focus on reality in the present and the future.

{<huh}
Wait...Is this the same dude who presented multiple fighters to fight Fedor in his "prime"???

I mostly agree with you, but the reason cro-cop was rocket by elbows on the ground,he said it himself on some interview. I don't know, but I think Mirko was one of the best strikers ever. by the 2007, he was 10+ in the game so naturally he was already pretty bang-up. Anyways his combinations, speed, high kick power was insane. Look at the old fight with Bernardo,Greco,Bonjasky...his kryptonite was Hoost,he just couldn't go past him in tournaments.

TS is a moron and every post he makes is garbage nonsense fueled by a UFC favoritism revisionist history.

Fedors coaches clearly stated Fedor was past his prime when he fought AA. Fedor was 32 but was already a 10 year veteran by that point who peaked 5 years before that. He had also lost in Sambo by then and was strictly head hunting and not taking his training nearly as seriously as he used to. Fedor sitll KOd that AA in the first round who was able to KO Roy Nelson and Rothwell in his fights coming into his fight with Fedor. The same Roy Nelson who Stipe and JDS couldnt finish.

Stipe is a good striker but lets not act like we didnt see him get floored by an Overeem jab Overeem, floored by JDS, and knocked out by Struve when Stipe was 30 years old and more than 10 fights into his career. Comparing the speed of a Stipe to the speed and fluidity of a prime Mirko is laughable at best. Stipe is hittable and isnt nearly as fast as Fedor was. Fedor would put the bops on him standing.

JDS is a one trick pony with no ground game, no high intensity wrestling/scrambling cardio and gets tired and backs up in straight lines blocking punches with his chin. Prime Fedor (esp in a 10 minute round setting) would have carved him and taken him into the 6-7 minute mark and drowned him in his own blood. JDS would be tired from 5 mintues of Fedors pace and would get TKOd.

Moral of the story : TS is a dumbass and Stipe, JDS and Reem cant make prime Fedor a fucking sandwich.

I would pay good money to see a juiced up Prime JDS compete in Pride.

I think he might have killed everybody in there.

JDS is like super friendly and still fucked people up pretty good. Imagine him on a roid infused rage ripping through the Pride HW roster

Prime JDS in Pride would've been insane to see

Prime JDS would gas from 5 minutes of high intensity wrestling with Cain where by round 2 he was backing up in straight lines and blocking punches with his face.

He would have gotten taken to deep water in Pride FC 10 min first round structure and drowned in his own blood.

Typical angry fedor fans response.
That's the truth,fedor was never a technical striker.theres a reason why someone like arlovski was able to countered almost every fedor strikes
And if you think throwing wild punches = next level striking then you may need to stop watching mma

lol geek

I'm not so sure everyone thinks about Gerald McClellan or Masakatsu Funaki. Both greats and legends of their sport yet hardly mentioned in either.

Gerald fucking McClellan.... God Bless

I am a big Fedor fan. Sadly Fedor is kind of a can now. I hope he beats Frank Mir.

TS, you have listed good oponents who for sure might have had a chance, its mma , but you focus too much on striking. My verdict is - Fedor by armbar
/thread

Fedor was amazing for his day—back then. DC and Stipe of today or Cain from a couple of years ago would pose serious problems.

Disclaimer: I don't hate Fedor,i think he's one of the greatest fighters of all time.but the sport has evolved and there are few fighters that are bad matchups for Fedor.not saying they could beat fedor 100%.all of them have a chance of getting ko by fedor
1:Stipe Miocic
lets be honest about fedor for a moment,fedor was not a good technical striker,hes a brawler that moves like a welterweight.that what made him successful in hw back then.fedor always throw wild punch and hooks.it work for him against not average strikers like most of his opponent but that won't work against someone like stipe and would get himself ko'd because stipe technical boxing is much better than fedor.
fedor style works great against fighters that are not a high-level striker like, big nog, Randleman, and Fujita but he would get absolutely countered by high level boxer/striker like stipe.the Arlovski-fedor fight shows that Fedor style was very vulnerable to countering and Arlovski technical striking is not even remotely close to stipe level.

giphy.gif
(4 gifs in 1 gif)
and stipe is really good at countering.hooks,straight punches.one good counter punch would put fedor to sleep.

giphy.gif
NiceFeminineCub.gif
giphy.gif

even in the cro cop-fedor fight show that fedor was vulnerable to counter, especially straight punch which is stipe best and most powerful strike.stipe jab/straight punch is way more powerful and more precise than cro cop one
giphy.gif
(2 gifs in 1 gif)
2: Prime JDS:
this one is easier than other 2 because jds physical attributes surpass Fedor(fedor main weapon) and his technical boxing is better than fedor.jds can match fedor speed,hit harder(ko werdum,cain with a single punch), and more athletic.jds also got better footwork,in and out movement(one of the factor in this fight), and more variety on feet.if Fujita was able to hurt fedor then jds can definitely ko him.
3:Techreem aka economicalreem
this one is controversial due to Overeem chin but i think this is probably the worst matchup for Fedor because overeem is much more skilled than fedor in every area.fedor is a brawler(sometimes technical) with little to no footwork.overeem technical striking is even better than stipe miocic, especially counter striking.fedor hope of catching Overeem on feet is lower than jds who got tool'd by overeem.fedor wild style would easily get countered by overeem.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
overeem-ko-jds.gif

and this wont be just a boxing match,overeem would throw leg kicks,body kicks and other types of kicks
,other than the cro cop fight where fedor check 1 leg kick.fedor has shown to be affected by leg kick as shown in the big nog-fedor 3 fight and the Arlovski fight
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

4: incoming typical replies :
"Fedor outstruck and beat cro cop on feet"
Cro cop is not a great striker if you compare him to today elite strikers.cro cop got little to no footwork and his strategy is/was too obvious.cro cop was good against stationary fighter and always has a problem with pressure fighter
"Fedor was out of his prime when he fought arlovski"
Fedor was 31 or 32 years old when he fought arlovski.theres no evidence of him declining at that time.you can make a argument that he's not in his prime anymore after the werdum fight but not when he fought arlovski,and not in your physical prime shouldn't affect your skills.

Amazing analysis…thanks for this fact based post with great stuff!!!

Boxers don't throw looping punches because they aren't sambo fighters who are looking to get the clinch.

MMA isn't boxing.

Plus of course they have gloves to hide behind, that whole argument is incredable dumb when your listing someone like JDS above Fedor who's whole career is built on throwing looping punches.

As far as these go I think JDS and Overeem are actually some of the best match matchups for Fedor in recent years. Fedor would do to Jnr exactly what Stipe and Cain did, force him to the cage and then blast him when he's stiff and upright with no counters. He'd likely hustle Reem as well just as Stipe did and one good punch and that fights over.

As far as analysis goes JDS has good footwork? are we just making stuff up now? why not claim he would triangle Fedor?

TS is a moron and every post he makes is garbage nonsense fueled by a UFC favoritism revisionist history.

Fedors coaches clearly stated Fedor was past his prime when he fought AA. Fedor was 32 but was already a 10 year veteran by that point who peaked 5 years before that. He had also lost in Sambo by then and was strictly head hunting and not taking his training nearly as seriously as he used to. Fedor sitll KOd that AA in the first round who was able to KO Roy Nelson and Rothwell in his fights coming into his fight with Fedor. The same Roy Nelson who Stipe and JDS couldnt finish.

Stipe is a good striker but lets not act like we didnt see him get floored by an Overeem jab Overeem, floored by JDS, and knocked out by Struve when Stipe was 30 years old and more than 10 fights into his career. Comparing the speed of a Stipe to the speed and fluidity of a prime Mirko is laughable at best. Stipe is hittable and isnt nearly as fast as Fedor was. Fedor would put the bops on him standing.

JDS is a one trick pony with no ground game, no high intensity wrestling/scrambling cardio and gets tired and backs up in straight lines blocking punches with his chin. Prime Fedor (esp in a 10 minute round setting) would have carved him and taken him into the 6-7 minute mark and drowned him in his own blood. JDS would be tired from 5 mintues of Fedors pace and would get TKOd.

Moral of the story : TS is a dumbass and Stipe, JDS and Reem cant make prime Fedor a fucking sandwich.

Oh god we have mixfight in here trolling again…get a life nut gobbler!

This post like others proves, Fedor lives rent free in everyone's head.

Yeah because if anyone dares to think there might be a person on planet that might beat Fedor, then Fedor must be living in their head.

You Fedor ball garglers are special kind of annoying lol

Werdum, Bigfoot and Hendo.

May I present some facts that contradict the popular belief that he was past his prime by the time he fought those guys.

He fought Brett Rodgers November 7, 2009. He had just turned 32.

He KOed Rodgers in highlight fashion and his record was then 31-1 and Fedormania and nuthugging was in full effect.

What do you mean nuthugging was in full effect? He opened as a -600 favorite against Brett Rodgers. Against Werdum he opened as a -1100 favorite.

June 26, 2010 he faced Werdum.. 7 months removed from a huge win at the time... Rodgers was undefeated and hyped big time and coming off of smashing Arlovski in under a minute.

He fought Bigfoot Silva on Feb 2011. He opened up as a huge favorite again, and he was the heavy favorite to win the Strikeforce HW grand prix tournament. Once he got taken down he got dominated. This is the same Bigfoot that got absolutely tooled by the hands of an unknown newcomer at the time with a wrestling background named Daniel Cormeaux.

July 2011. Still 33 years of age and looked really good against Hendo and he was winning the fight and looked like he was about to finish Hendong until he got finished himself.

So in the span of a year and half this “GOAT legend” went from being in what looked like his prime to being way passed his prime and too old all of a sudden since he lost 3 fights that he could’ve won.

Only problem is those 3 guys were NOT CANS. They had real skills, fight IQ and weren’t the same recycled Pride legends that built their fame and name based off of fighting each other. For those to dull or blind to realize the facts. Yes, I’m talking about Fedor, Big Nog and Cro Cop. Big Nog and Cro Cop were wildly disappointing in the UFC especially Cro Cop. This was a guy that many predicted would be on the fast track to winning the belt. Instead he got KTFO by his own signature kick to manbearpig and lost a decision to the Kongo. Eddie Sanchez, Gonzaga and Cheik Congo were Cro Cop’s first 3 UFC fights... it’s like please... we want you to be champion so bad we’re gonna throw you an Alley-Oop (title shot run).

Not a Fedor hater, nor a UFC apologist or fanboy but I was a fan of Pride and always will be. Just setting the record straight.

Back