3 Ways to Get to the Backstep/Kneebar Position

goatfury

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://howtheyplay.com/individual-sports/3-Ways-to-Get-to-the-BackstepKneebar-Position-in-BJJ

The "backstep" guard pass sequence in BJJ is extremely valuable to have in your back pocket. If you haven't already reviewed the basics of the backstep pass, you might want to do so before continuing here. This tutorial will give three fundamentally different ways to get into the position, coming from a passing perspective at first, and then using the backstep to get out of a bad situation. One way to approach jiu jitsu is to try to get pretty good at everything, but the approach I've seen work the best is to try to get to your best positions from the widest range of methods. This is just such an example.

This has become a go to point of control for me. If I get my back taken I feel like I’m only one step away from being in a good position and obviously, as I put my time in to the position I rarely get my back taken from there. Overall it has made me feel a lot more comfortable and aggressive when I’m in a bad spot and I’m beginning to see openings to it from all sorts of positions. It was also the position that allowed me to learn leglocks from a positional point of view and less just snatching for whatever was available.

Two things that I do in this position to help me maintain it. If I feel opponent begin to “climb” up my back putting me at risk for getting my back taken I slide my hips back so that I’m sitting closer to their chest. I also don’t sit off to the side of their hips, I really sit on my opponent usually with one of my arms fed in the crook of the leg in front of me and if they begin defending it with their other leg I’ll hook the second leg with the same hand as the one fed in the crook of the first leg[that make sense?] That arm allows me to be halfway to isolating the leg but more importantly allows me to have a lever controlling their hips under me so that they are forced flat on their backs/hips.

Back