35 years later and exorcist is still horrifying

Watermelonfresh

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
What's the consensus here? Do you think this is still scary? I find it just as disturbing and scary as I did when I was a kid.

Was this movie brilliant and ahead of its time or do you find it as not standing test of time?

What's your opinion on this. I say brilliance.

Yes. Yes it is.

I was freaked out watching clips from YouTube recently . I don't know, it just strikes me as something that feels realistic.

I knew a kid that watched it when I was little and he covered his eyes during many parts. Kids are normally fairly brave with scary movies.

It's still great because it has three-dimensional characters you care about. It's still scary because you are invested in what happens to them.

I was freaked out watching clips from YouTube. I don't know, it just strikes me as something that feels realistic
The music was eerie. It reminded me why the original clocktower game on the playstation was scary.

Last edited:
It is the ultimate horror movie,and it probably can never be defeated. Not in my lifetime.
Most movies play around with good vs evil. This movie does not fuck around in the slightest.

It is the ultimate horror movie,and it probably can never be defeated. Not in my lifetime.

The transformation of the girl and the crazy stuff that went on with the priests. The music like loyal said.

My favorite scene in it,is the when Karras comes back into the room to find Merryn dead,and the girl sitting on the bed,giggling at his grief..my heart goes cold at that wicked heartlessness...that and the following sequence where he is possessed and leaps out the window...is one of the greatest things i have ever seen

Hell, I think the scene they edited out would have made the damn thing even scarier!!
I think other films have been as scary, but not as good. About the 35 years later part, a scary film will always be scary, if it isn't relying on special effects etc as it's main driving force.

The woman in black, a tv movie from 1989 is still scary as shit, as an example of a good scary movie being able to stand the test of time.

I finally watched it a few months ago, and I gotta say I wasn't too impressed. Maybe it's the age of the film and the out of date special effects, but it was kinda of meh. Maybe I'm watching it the wrong way?

Shit is GOAT horror film that can still get me....I still won't watch that shit by myself at night and I'm a horror film fanatic

I thought Salem's lot was scarier. Exorcist still good though.

e66b26f6d128d51aabebc97448b60b44.jpg

Gotta be my all time favourite horror.

I have always thought how the fuck did thy have the balls to sleep in the same house as her lol like imagine waking up and she's in your bed or stood there staring at you with that creepy ass face and voice.. Jesus.

Also ruined my child hood watching that damn film, see her face still makes me uneasy.

Der-Exorzist-Linda-Blair-1973.jpg

Fuck that :eek:

It's not horrifying to me, but I do think it's one of the greatest movies in any genre.

I just rewatched it few weeks ago, after many years, still like it. Definitely best film of the genre.

I finally watched it a few months ago, and I gotta say I wasn't too impressed. Maybe it's the age of the film and the out of date special effects, but it was kinda of meh. Maybe I'm watching it the wrong way?
No, you're watching it right, your eyes are just shit

still horrifying if you believe in the fairy tale concept of hell and satan.

I remember watching it when I was 15 with a friend and we were laughing our asses off.

"Your mother sucks cocks in hell."

<JagsKiddingMe>

Supremely disappointing and overrated movie.

Honestly, I didn't find it to be very scary at all. Lack of suspense, and the Christian/Catholic stuff didn't affect me at all, having not grown up in those religions. Is it possible that growing up as a Christian or Catholic makes this movie have a bigger effect?

still horrifying if you believe in the fairy tale concept of hell and satan.

Yeah the religious angle doesn't work for me. They should do a modern remake, take out all the religion and just call it 'White People in a Bedroom'

Last edited:
Back