36-year-old Yusin Okami: I would never be fighting this old

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
“Until this fight, I wasn’t really sure where I belonged,” “I have tried striking in my past fights, and it didn’t do too well,” Okami said. “So in terms of this fight, I decided I’m just going to do something I’m good at. And I wanted to show the fans that I’m here and that I’m pretty strong in this division.”

“To approach this fight, I was thinking that I could figure out where I belonged,” Okami said. “And I realized I was able to dominate the opponent, so I think I can do very well in this division. But I’m not young. I don’t want to take loo long to get there, so I want to try to fight a ranked fighter and get up to that ladder very quick to the title shot.”

“In terms of that fight against OSP, I consider it as God’s gift,” Okami said. “It would give me a chance to get back into the UFC. However, I’m a welterweight, so I consider this fight to be the real comeback fight in the octagon.”

“I actually thought I would never be fighting this old,” Okami said. “But I went through so many fights, I went through hardships, regret and also happiness. All these mixed feelings will give me motivation to keep on fighting and getting better.”

http://mmajunkie.com/2018/04/ufc-on...ting-career-mma/amp?__twitter_impression=true

I don't understand why the UFC wouldn't employ a guy like Okami in the first place? He has name recognition and is cheap. Yeah he mostly grapples, but half of all undercard fights are garbage anyways. I'd rather see a guy I know than Joe Herzberger or some other random dude who'll be gone in a few weeks.

Obligatory link to the story of when Chael's mom pulled a shotgun on Yushin Okami

War Okami. So glad he's back in the UFC

I don't understand why the UFC wouldn't employ a guy like Okami in the first place? He has name recognition and is cheap. Yeah he mostly grapples, but half of all undercard fights are garbage anyways. I'd rather see a guy I know than Joe Herzberger or some other random dude who'll be gone in a few weeks.
Only reason y he's back in the UFC is because shogun pulled out in the Japan UFC card against osp. That's y he's in the UFC becuase of that reason, they were in Japan, and Okami is a UFC vet he was on a decent win streak coming in on the OSP fight. UFC didn't just randomly wanted to sign okami. U not realize this is his 2nd run in the UFC?

Could've got the tko on Lima in the 3rd if bell didn't ring.

Why did you paraphrase the title? Made it seemed like he was going to be complaining.

He seems like a cool dude. Happy he is making another run at it.

The way he was shooting those takedowns it looked like he was 26 years old.

Dude still has a strong follow through with that double leg.

Drop knee and drive.

So what happened that Okami went from being considered a giant MW to he can make WW with ease????

I think Okami was cut as one part of a UFC strategy to reduce lay and pray and grapple-control point fighting. It had gotten, or was perceived to have gotten, pretty bad by 2012-13. A few other excellent grapplers who won by controlling their opponents to decision wins, notably Fitch and Shields, but also lesser guys like Volkmann, were cut with little other justification.

They also have been pushing for the commissions to accept the new rules that supposedly reward top control less and count damage as part of effective striking. But in fact, I think most judges began rewarding point fighting less in 2013 and coming forward. Point fighting is less prevalent overall than it was just a few years back.

Last edited:
I read "i need money so im fighting this old"

“Until this fight, I wasn’t really sure where I belonged,” “I have tried striking in my past fights, and it didn’t do too well,” Okami said. “So in terms of this fight, I decided I’m just going to do something I’m good at. And I wanted to show the fans that I’m here and that I’m pretty strong in this division.”

“To approach this fight, I was thinking that I could figure out where I belonged,” Okami said. “And I realized I was able to dominate the opponent, so I think I can do very well in this division. But I’m not young. I don’t want to take loo long to get there, so I want to try to fight a ranked fighter and get up to that ladder very quick to the title shot.”

“In terms of that fight against OSP, I consider it as God’s gift,” Okami said. “It would give me a chance to get back into the UFC. However, I’m a welterweight, so I consider this fight to be the real comeback fight in the octagon.”

“I actually thought I would never be fighting this old,” Okami said. “But I went through so many fights, I went through hardships, regret and also happiness. All these mixed feelings will give me motivation to keep on fighting and getting better.”

http://mmajunkie.com/2018/04/ufc-on...ting-career-mma/amp?__twitter_impression=true
Okami basically saying he's gonna return to his blanket roots. He would stay in UFC longer losing by ko's than winning by lay and pray.

True Samurai!

No shit talking from Okami. Very honorable fellow.

WAR BLANKET-ROOTS OKAMI!

giphy.gif

Back