5 steps to punch moving backwards. Effective and powerful.

Ramil Kamilov

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Footwork and shoulder rotation are essential to be able to punch with power and not get hit at the same time. Here is a step by step breakdown on how to do so while moving backwards. Here is a video:

Keep in mind when you get to me throwing more than two punches you wouldn't necessarily use this in a fight, it's more to get lots of reps when practicing. Usually you would throw only 1, or throw 2 and then side step.

We practice this a lot in our boxing class. We use it basically as a warm up exercise - moving forward and backwards with the same principle. However I find it difficult for example to do a jab-jab-cross moving backwards using this principle as you kind of jab- then start the movement and add the second jab and then the cross. Pretty useful stuff, man. Keep em coming.

We practice this a lot in our boxing class. We use it basically as a warm up exercise - moving forward and backwards with the same principle. However I find it difficult for example to do a jab-jab-cross moving backwards using this principle as you kind of jab- then start the movement and add the second jab and then the cross. Pretty useful stuff, man. Keep em coming.

You wouldn't use the exact same principle. I was actually gonna include this in the video but i didnt wanna make it super long:
I'll talk from the orthodox stance
For a jab jab cross you would take a smaller step with the left, not all the way to the same level as the right foor, then you would take a right step without throwing anything. That would be your first punch so two small quick steps. Then you do the same thing, except for the right step you add the cross this time and you can make the right step a big step with lots of rotation. You would also want to keep your left shoulder a little more forward for the first two punches to have more range, and also so that once you throw the right you have all that distance and power to throw it. Shoot me a message if you didn't quite understand what i mean. And I was gonna add even more to this stuff in the video

Footwork and shoulder rotation are essential to be able to punch with power and not get hit at the same time. Here is a step by step breakdown on how to do so while moving backwards. Here is a video:

Keep in mind when you get to me throwing more than two punches you wouldn't necessarily use this in a fight, it's more to get lots of reps when practicing. Usually you would throw only 1, or throw 2 and then side step.

Lol nub

Very nice - I was thinking to myself "yeah I know how to punch moving backwards" - but I think this will help to make it smoother

I have learnt an opposite drill... Going backwards and punching : 1 rear leg goes back + Jab in the same time - 2 lead leg goes back + cross in the same time to recover beginning position...

I have learnt an opposite drill... Going backwards and punching : 1 rear leg goes back + Jab in the same time - 2 lead leg goes back + cross in the same time to recover beginning position...

You can do both. You can punch with either hand while mmoving forward OR backwards. You can take a step forward and throw with the lead hand, you can take a step forward and punch with the rear hand and you can do the same going backwards. And obviously the same thing works for moving sideways.
In the end it's just about weight transfer and properly timing your steps with the mechanics of the punch

Nice video! Personally I'm not a big fan of drawing the lead foot back on the jab, I prefer to shuffle the rear foot back on the jab and either step the lead foot back into stance or hop-step back on the straight.

Back