50 days to Soccer World Cup

What makes this world cup interesting is Russia. Rhetorics and nuclear threats recently towards the UK and Russian hooligans could make this event a potential WW3 starter.

Americans are butthurt that they're on the outside looking in as the world enjoys the beautiful game.

Another benefit of multi-nationality. My fellow partial compatriots didn't make it so I will get to enjoy in peace as they won't be howling in the bars.

What makes this world cup interesting is Russia. Rhetorics and nuclear threats recently towards the UK and Russian hooligans could make this event a potential WW3 starter.
What happened in Marseille gonna look like kids games compared with this year.

Soccer is boring. Honestly, everything is boring ever since I started watching MMA.

No US
No China
No India
No Indonesia
No Pakistan

That's the five most populated countries in the world.

How many eyes will really be glued to the TV with those countries out?

China, India, Indonesia and Pakistan weren't at the 2014 world cup either and China haven't qualified for a world cup since '02 (their first and only appearance to date), Indonesia have never qualified, Pakistan have never qualified and India have never qualified, yet the 2014 finals still drew around 3 to 4 billion viewers with apparently 1 billion viewing the final alone.

Pakistan and India have never been big football countries and I really doubt the Chinese not being present really hinders viewing figures (they've filled their domestic league with overpriced foreign stars anyway, i highly doubt they only care about football when Chinese players are involved)

This World Cup, as always, will dwarf the viewing figures of other world sporting events.

Yanks time to join the world and grow some soccer team too. With this talent pool you could go far.

Yeah, If the Yanks put as much effort into soccer and World Cup participation as the Germans do with proper support in the youth leagues Yanks would be pretty a dominate on average. The talent pool in the U.S. is immense. You're talking about a population larger than UK, Germany, France, Italy and Argentina combined with a shit load of money going into sports at all levels from youth up to pros.

imagine choosing to not participate in the greatest sporting event in all of history

Yeah...finally the World Cup is back!!!
Sadly for me Portugal is gonna be shit like in Brazil.

I dunno, you guys only really have to get a win and a draw (4 points should be enough with Spain in the group) against Morocco and Iran (easily doable to beat both) and after that it's the luck of the draw, similar to your run in the 2016 Euros. Winning it might be a stretch but at least your team has won a tournament recently, try being English ;)

Didn't some Russian hooligans go wild on the British recently?

Oh great.

Riots, vuvuzelas, crippling corruption and pandering to totalitarian regimes.

Pass.

I'm just waiting for Neymar to heal so I can start to shitpost on world cup threads. The last one was nice. The 7x1 still hurts.

I dunno, you guys only really have to get a win and a draw (4 points should be enough with Spain in the group) against Morocco and Iran (easily doable to beat both) and after that it's the luck of the draw, similar to your run in the 2016 Euros. Winning it might be a stretch but at least your team has won a tournament recently, try being English ;)

Yeh, for us it's a week short of 50 days until the tabloids start shitting on our players and saying the manager's not good enough. Meanwhile our sports broadcasters play yet more footage from 1966 with the attitude "Well, you never know. It could feasibly happen again someday..."

Pathetic.

Only poor people care about diveball. Who cares.

Only time i watch futbol is during 3rd World Cup. Only because the stakes are very high. Other than that, I don't consume enough soy to follow MLS, or regional play.

Dunno......I'm a huge footy fan but for some reason, I just cannot get pumped for it. I just have no interest in it. Partially coz the group stages seem like they're gonna be a chore to watch - maybe I'll regain some interest once we hit the knockout stages.

I also have no dog in the fight, which adds to my indifference.

Gun to head - France have the squad to do it. But they won't. It'll probably be Germany (yawn).

I'm pretty pumped this time around to be honest

I expect England to do alright

Plus I love the drama of it being in Russia

Let's go

This is time people around the world have been waiting for and not some crappy Superbowl rigged with commercials every 2 minutes.

Yanks time to join the world and grow some soccer team too. With this talent pool you could go far.

It's football you uneducated fuck

Literally no one calls it soccer

No US
No China
No India
No Indonesia
No Pakistan

That's the five most populated countries in the world.

How many eyes will really be glued to the TV with those countries out?il.

None of those countries have ever been a force in the game, only the Chinese have even gotten to a world cup previously although they do still watch it in large numbers as neutrals. The world cup is clearly the most watched sporting event on earth, probably the most watched event of any kind in the 21st century.

Back