52 blocks

Silver tongue samurai

Ronin
@Blue
Reaction score
Figured id make a thread about this as im sure its a natural progression from the elbow guard thread.

From what i understand about it it was made throughout the jail system and used for street fighting more than comp. It manily consists of elbow or forearm blocks transitioning to a strike (at least what iv seen)

Eg. Skull n cross bones is essentially a lead horizontal elbow to disguise or load up the cross

What are you guys thoughts on "jailhouse rock" or 52 blocks

From wiki: Jailhouse Rock, the 52 Hand Blocks and their variants may be compared to savate, which was originally a semi-codified fighting method associated with an urban criminal subculture, which underwent a gradual process of codification before becoming established as a martial art accessible by the cultural mainstream

Figured id make a thread about this as im sure its a natural progression from the elbow guard thread.

From what i understand about it it was made throughout the jail system and used for street fighting more than comp. It manily consists of elbow or forearm blocks transitioning to a strike (at least what iv seen)

Eg. Skull n cross bones is essentially a lead horizontal elbow to disguise or load up the cross

What are you guys thoughts on "jailhouse rock" or 52 blocks

From wiki: Jailhouse Rock, the 52 Hand Blocks and their variants may be compared to savate, which was originally a semi-codified fighting method associated with an urban criminal subculture, which underwent a gradual process of codification before becoming established as a martial art accessible by the cultural mainstream

Noooooo......not this again<Lmaoo>

I don't know everything about it, but as far as I'm aware it's fundamentally and defensively unsound and that the guy who came up with it didn't actually go to prison, or something like that, will research further and come back

EDIT:

here's what first made me aware of 'the 52'

TL'DW version

Claims to have been founded by a guy called 'Mother Dear' who no one can prove existed. In order to learn the 52 you had to be
1. Black
2. Bad enough
3. His lover

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/the-legend-of-the-52-blocks < also worth a read.

In regards to the actual blocking technique, it seems to me that it's just boxing defence that is in certain examples done wrong. Like that guy starts off reasonable enough and then he's trying to parry punches by swinging his elbows in ways that could have just been more easily caught with a traditional body block.

Last edited:
I don't know everything about it, but as far as I'm aware it's fundamentally and defensively unsound and that the guy who came up with it didn't actually go to prison, or something like that, will research further and come back

EDIT:

here's what first made me aware of 'the 52'

TL'DW version

Claims to have been founded by a guy called 'Mother Dear' who no one can prove existed. In order to learn the 52 you had to be
1. Black
2. Bad enough
3. His lover

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/the-legend-of-the-52-blocks < also worth a read.

In regards to the actual blocking technique, it seems to me that it's just boxing defence that is in certain examples done wrong. Like that guy starts off reasonable enough and then he's trying to parry punches by swinging his elbows in ways that could have just been more easily caught with a traditional body block.

His lover <45>
"no bitch of mine is gonna be a bitch."

Do you think you had to be black and bad enough to be his lover?

His lover <45>
"no bitch of mine is gonna be a bitch."

Do you think you had to be black and bad enough to be his lover?

Yes and once you're his lover you have to take it up the ass 52 times before being fully ready to learn the secret technique of 52 blocks.

It's boxing with fancy elbows and slaps. Ive never seen a live demo of it so who knows. If I was going to do a "street system" it would be boxing with a focus on clinch and elbows.

There's an interview of Lyte Burly around here done by poster Discipulus. It's worth a listen. 52 Blocks is probably his favorite thing, for his own reasons, but it's far from the only thing he knows.

I'll also say this about Lyte. I've had plenty of people over the years tell me they were going to come to Tocco's over the internet. That they were going to buck up and make the journey. Of all the times I've been told that I can probably count on two hands the amount of people who have actually shown their faces. DoctorTaco has, zapata has. And this dude:

probably just a repeat of what everyone has already said more or less but all I saw was basically poorly executed boxing techniques. The only odd ball thing was him elbowing the punches. Just gave all the moves fancy names.

Keeping an open mind to what they had to show. For a bareknuckle situation, elbowing the hand isnt a bad idea in concept, but in reality will be near impossible to do on purpose. if it was to happen, It would be more likely to happen by you being in a defensive position with the elbow out, and them punching your elbow, rather than you elbowing their punch. That being said, I could possibly see it being used that way in a self defense type scenario. Kinda the same concept of being a spiked turtle.

Last edited:
I mean some of the blocks seem reasonable and I use them like the hook line defense, but others looked fugazi and would put you at risk against someone that is really following through on his shots. He completely lost me at that lazy jab arm hold and counter display. The shit just isn't economical enough. Reaching out to parry, elbowing out and up rather than lift up at the center line. Its just gimmicky, you can already find effective blocking techniques in plenty of places. This shit would NOT be good in a Kickboxing or Muay Thai setting IMO.

Last edited:
I mean some of the blocks seem reasonable and I use them like the hook line defense, but others looked fugazi and would put you at risk against someone that is really following through on his shots. He completely lost me at that lazy jab arm hold and counter display. The shit just isn't economical enough. Reaching out to parry, elbowing out and up rather than lift up at the center line. Its just gimmicky, you can already find effective blocking techniques in plenty of places. This shit would NOT be good in a Kickboxing or Muay Thai setting IMO.

Around 1 minute in:

Keep in mind that when Ingle first put this stuff out there, people said he was a lunatic.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/interview-w-lyte-burly-52-blocks-boxing-bagua-kung-fu.2616265/

The thread Sinister mentioned.

I did think that it was doing the technique janky for the sake of doing it janky. I mean I don't want to completely say it's bullshit because I've never met anyone that's done it and from Sinister's posts there seems to be at least something to it

Around 1 minute in:

Keep in mind that when Ingle first put this stuff out there, people said he was a lunatic.

We need more people trying "new" things. I say "new" things but sometimes they are just old things lost in time and maybe not passed down. It doesn't mean that they didn't work..........

Around 1 minute in:

were talking about the punch he threw at 1:00 and how he set it up with a outright left hand? it looked alot like the MT long guard which could be used in the same way to setup a punch

Yes, just lazily extending a hand, in what would be considered a poor position, but it's done on purpose and leads to something good.

52 blocks, this shit again, really? It's Tai Chi for ghetto folks.

Yes, just lazily extending a hand, in what would be considered a poor position, but it's done on purpose and leads to something good.

are you familiar with the "long guard" in muay thai? its alot like this.

Back