6 Year Old Girl Killed in FL Dog Attack

I wouldn't have any dog that ever showed aggression towards me or my family. I had a lab once that growled at me when I walked by his food bowl. 00 buckshot to the head gave him his attitude adjustment swiftly.

tenor.gif

Hahaha! I love that gif. Might I add that I was attacked by a neighbor's dog as a child(5) and received several lacerations to my face that had to be stitched up. So my tolerance for aggressive dogs is pretty shot, no pun intended.

Hell yes. I take no chances. Would it be ok if it had been a pit instead? However, I will say that was in my younger days. I've mellowed a bit since then.
Not a reason to kill a dog and you should probably never have a pet again.

So much misinformation and ignorance in this thread
This is why we end up with skewed stats on apbt's. People have no idea what a pitbull is. Apbt are rarely human aggressive. Animal aggressive yes but not human aggressive.

Haha! Ive had a few since then. All good pets.
You learned how to raise your dog so it doesn't growl when you touch its food? First thing we always did, right when they were a pup. Get them acustomed to us touching his food bowl.

I wouldn't have any dog that ever showed aggression towards me or my family. I had a lab once that growled at me when I walked by his food bowl. 00 buckshot to the head gave him his attitude adjustment swiftly.

I hear you. I had a spectacular hunting dog. She would die before quitting on a goose if I didn't call her back. When she was 6, for some reason she growled at my nephew who reached at something she had in her mouth - something she had never minded before. About a month later she gave my daughter a growl when she walked by her. That weekend the dog went to live my retired hunting buddy and she continued to be great hunting dog for 3 or 4 more years. I hated to let her go, but I only want to live with a dog that kids can grab and hug an play with without fear.

You learned how to raise your dog so it doesn't growl when you touch its food? First thing we always did, right when they were a pup. Get them acustomed to us touching his food bowl.
Yes, I have definitely learned to train them not to be aggressive to anyone. However, if someone were to come into my yard I'm not sure the dog would even alert me. But, I have cameras placed around my property, so I don't guess it matters.

Yes, I have definitely learned to train them not to be aggressive to anyone. However, if someone were to come into my yard I'm not sure the dog would even alert me. But, I have cameras placed around my property, so I don't guess it matters.

My current dog is a terrible guard dog. Her "go-to" strategy is roll over and expose her belly with the hope that she is irresistibly cute and the intruder would have a moment to rethink their life choices while they pet her.

meh they are not pitbulls. i just hate these animals and I am so fed up with people saying they are no bad dogs, just bad owners.

Well are the pitbulls born with the urge to kill?

This topic is specific to WHY and HOW Pitbulls attack and not the attack itself.
It is my contention that this rhetoric is dangerous and misleading. Why dogs attack are because something sets off their prey drive or defensive instincts. This isn't complicated stuff and it's not different for the pit bull.

What's the confusion with the how of pitbulls attacking?

People spent decades selectively breeding PtiBulls for one purpose and that is to be an efficient killer that can tune out all personal injury to get a kill. They do not just fight to establish space or show dominance as most other dog breeds do. Nope once they decide to fight its to kill and with devastating results.

This is why it's hard to take you seriously. There are dogs that are much more efficient at taking people out and the statistics are so heavily distorted its next to impossible to quantify a true number for the APBT.

Prey drive + gameness+ inbreeding + terrible ownership + stupid parenting = the pitbull issue.

You going on about its innate desire to kill is not only stupid but harmful.

And while you can certainly try to counter that selective breeding nature with great nurturing and most Pits do not end up being human killers the failure rate for those that do resort to the nature is too high to justify keeping them as a family pet with the tears after saying 'but we don't know how our gentle dog failed that way', and other pitbull owners pointing fingers saying 'must be bad owners'.

This is a very awkward paragraph.
You are scared of the sensationalized highly distorted stats made up of 3 or more breeds including mutts. Yes I get it it's frightening to look at those numbers.

We can do without the "killing machine" speech.

Pit's are not great dogs for the average owner.

Agreed. There are many dogs that are currently horrible for the average owner.

So the question is should society be forced to gamble with that failure rate.

No the question is what's the solution? Banning them is ineffective as has been shown in ontario so what do you suggest to lower the attack/fatality rates?

My current dog is a terrible guard dog. Her "go-to" strategy is roll over and expose her belly with the hope that she is irresistibly cute and the intruder would have a moment to rethink their life choices while they pet her.
Sounds like mine lol. He just goes over to anyone all happy and wanting someone to pet him. God forbid they bring a dog treat to give him.

Sounds like mine lol. He just goes over to anyone all happy and wanting someone to pet him. God forbid they bring a dog treat to give him.

I had a summer job that required me to knock on doors. Anecdotally I found that 90% of dogs will stop cold in their tracks for a treat. 5% are little shits that a tap with your foot will stop and 5% are assholes.

We used to have Bull Terriers.
featured-bull-terrier-2.png

My mom never ever left us alone as kids with them, and they're more even tempered than pit bulls. We always had big dogs and that was the rule.
One of those chewed a little girls face off in my hometown. The dog was a celebrity around town, being cute. She got too close to the food bowl.

One of those chewed a little girls face off in my hometown. The dog was a celebrity around town, being cute. She got too close to the food bowl.
I have a soft spot for Bull Terriers, but like I said first thing we taught them was to let the whole family near the food bowl. They needed to be comfortable with us reaching for the bowl.

We did that even with our purse dogs, though.

I have a soft spot for Bull Terriers, but like I said first thing we taught them was to let the whole family near the food bowl. They needed to be comfortable with us reaching for the bowl.

We did that even with our purse dogs, though.
I had to euthanize a Blue tick hound for that offense. Most of the time he was fine, but once in a while........

Dang . . . went all JFK on him.

Back