80/20, honey hole, 411, mondern leg locks? I need help!

I've noticed something of a minor resurgence with 50/50 recently in no-gi since it's become such an advanced position in the gi. Felipe Pena vs. Gordon Ryan at ADCC and Gianni Grippo used it to great effect vs. Justin Rader the other day at FTW Pro. I think you're going to see more people figure out how to integrate 50/50 leg attacks with the standard ashi garami attacks, since 50/50 is basically ashi with both legs over.

I think 50/50 can be valuable in terms of comparative advantage; it is because it is an 'even' situation, that if you specialize in the situation, you can just keep going to it and beat people there, which can simplify your flow chart.

Also, personally, i've always felt that double outside ashi had/has a more essential structural weakness compared to other leg entanglements, in how much it gives up the back angle to go after the leg; for example Paulo Miyao who passed multiple times by exploiting the DOA situation in his match vs Nicky Ryan at UGA.

(5:00, 7:45, 10:00)

Last edited:
Yeah, double outside ashi is a very high-risk, high reward situation. You have excellent leverage to break the knee, and they have excellent leverage to leg drag pass.

Craig Jones had an awesome post on leg locks on his AMA on Reddit

Question: leg locks are the meta now I guess, should I make leg locks a huge part of my game? I love hunting for them but I feel other aspects of my game wouldn’t be on-par if I only attack lower body. what do you think?

Answer: This is the biggest problem with the current thinking about leg locks. They aren't something different they're just simply part of the game. I attack legs because it's a big weakness in most people a vulnerability because the concepts are relatively new. That being said it doesn't mean i don't practice 'real' jiu jitsu, i want to pass and play guard all the same. I believe good jiu jitsu threats such as strong passing attempts open up the leg attacks. If all i wanted was legs it would be easy to block, hide your leg lock entries within real passing and real sweeping attempts and you're success rate will skyrocket

Yeah, double outside ashi is a very high-risk, high reward situation. You have excellent leverage to break the knee, and they have excellent leverage to leg drag pass.
Eddie Cummings said something like the outside ashi heel hook is a sniper rifle. If everything is lined up then it's very powerful. But the 4-11 (saddle) heel hook is like a rocket launcher. If you're anywhere close to being on target then you'll destroy with it.

Back