80's indie rock

Jimmy Jazz

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Probably my favorite period for indie music. The 90s started strong but ultimately wasnt as good imo. Anyone have any obscure bands from the era that they love and hope other people would hear? Here are some of mine.

I don't know about obscure, but probably forgotten

Honestly don't understand how this song didn't end up on the soundtrack to some 80's teen movie

I wouldn't say that My Bloody Valentine is obscure. Not that I'm an expert on 80's indie (I hadn't heard of any of the other bands in this thread ...)

I mean, would a band such as Throwing Muses (which I happen to love) qualify as "obscure"?

To stop things getting to twee...

Last edited:
On the twee side this early Primal Scream track is probably my favourite bit of C86 style indie, pretty insane this is the same band that ended up putting out stuff like Kowalski.

This starts off fairly slowly but then it bursts into a huge fuckin chorus that was only heard in the 80s. It couldn't have come from any other decade.

First time I heard Romeo Void was while playing GTA Vice City. I spent a lot of hours driving around with it blasting out

Before her sex change op, Princess Diana was called Terry and fronted a pop band

I don't know about obscure, but probably forgotten

I got into a conversation with a guy at my neighbors 4th of July party last summer and he brought up Mission of Burma. I'd heard of them but had never heard them before that day. Anyway, this guy turned out to be Erik Lindgren who had played with MoB's lead singer (Roger Miller) in another post-punk band called Moving Parts. We really hit it off talking about different music.

He turned me on to his more recent project, Bird Songs of the Mesezoic, which originally included Roger Miller and Martin Swope (both from Mission of Burma.) Just reading up on it, this was formed after Miller had to quit MoB due to tinnitus.

Bird Songs is generally more mellow and avante guarde from what I've listened to but, now that you've reminded me I'm going to revisit Mission of Burma and Bird Songs of the Mesezoic. Plus I gotta email Erik back as we were going to try to hit some shows.

Back