80's movies.........

100% the 80's were the absolute pinnacle of moviemaking. Action, comedy, coming-of-age films, just hands down the best decade.

giphy.gif

For blockbuster cinema anyway I'd probably agree because it was still mostly being driven by creative people like Carpenter and original ideas.
the best thing about the 80's movies was no political correctness. The hero was upfront about what he wanted and had no problem pulling the damsel in for a kiss. Action movies was over the top with violence, and with heroes that actually look like they could kick your ass. Nerds were bullied, and sometimes they won. Comedy had less or no filter and was written smarter too. If you were lame, you were called a f@g. No one cared, cried, or killed themselves over it.

Although to turn that around I would say blockbusters were actually much more political back then and tended to have quite a strong anti establishment message to them. Corperate America was pretty often the target rather than some outward enemy like the Russians or middle eastern terrorists.

Best time for pure entertainment in movies late 70's to early 90's. There may have been eras that pushed the art form more in different ways (late 60's to 70's for auteurs, 20's to early 40's for really pioneering techniques and storytelling), but I don't think there has been a sheer depth of people pleasing films made (from z and b movies to a grade blockbusters) like the late 70's to early 90's era. I mean even the bad movies are fun. A lot of the MST3K movies that were shot in this era can be watched outside of MST3K (Hobgoblins, Zombie Nightmare, Escape from the Bronx, Deathstalker 3).

Best time for pure entertainment in movies late 70's to early 90's. There may have been eras that pushed the art form more in different ways (late 60's to 70's for auteurs, 20's to early 40's for really pioneering techniques and storytelling), but I don't think there has been a sheer depth of people pleasing films made (from z and b movies to a grade blockbusters) like the late 70's to early 90's era. I mean even the bad movies are fun. A lot of the MST3K movies that were shot in this era can be watched outside of MST3K (Hobgoblins, Zombie Nightmare, Escape from the Bronx, Deathstalker 3).

Starwars to Jurassic Park does seem like a good way of summing up that era of blockbusters, again I think the difference was creative people were very much taking the lead were as my the 90's you started to see execs taking more control, hiring writers and directors to churn out films. These days the likes of say Nolan, Jackson, etc who have that level of control are rarites not the norm.

Full Metal Jacket
Wall Street
Trading Places
Coming to America
The Terminator
The Breakfast Club
Raging Bull
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Angel Heart
Scarface

sakura_vhs.JPG

220px-Revenge_of_the_ninja.jpg

220px-Gymkataposter.jpg

Love me some Ninja shit from the 80's

The big hitters have already been named, so I'll go off the board with a few that don't get a lot of recognition these days...

Young Guns
Staying Alive
The Heavenly Kid
Three O'Clock High
Henry: Portrait of a Killer
Urban Cowboy
Jumpin' Jack Flash
WarGames
Youngblood
The Natural
The Wraith
Eight Men Out
Better Off Dead

The big hitters have already been named, so I'll go off the board with a few that don't get a lot of recognition these days...

The Heavenly Kid
Three O'Clock High

I forgot all about these two.

Awesome movies.

Back