Iraqi Kurdistan's President Masoud Barzani resigns after Independence push backfired

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
Thread Index:

92% of Kurds voted in favor of independence from Iraq

By Tamara Qiblawi, CNN | September 27, 2017

4728.jpg

Irbil, Iraq (CNN) Iraqi Kurds have voted overwhelmingly in favor of declaring independence from Iraq in a historic and controversial referendum that could have wide-ranging implications for the Middle East.

More than 92% of the roughly 3 million people who cast valid ballots on Monday voted "yes" to independence, according to official results announced by the Kurdish electoral commission on Wednesday.

The outcome represents a step towards independence for the semi-autonomous region in northern Iraq and areas it claims, and puts Kurdish authorities on a collision course with their counterparts in Baghdad.

The poll took place despite vehement opposition from the Iraqi government, which described it as unconstitutional and has authorized use of force against Iraqi Kurdistan.

The Kurdistan Regional Government, however, says the referendum will give it a mandate for talks to secede from Iraq, although Baghdad has already ruled out such talks.

On Wednesday, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi called for the referendum to be annulled and for the KRG to engage in dialogue as guided by the constitution. His comments come a day after he ordered the Kurds to yield control of their airports to the central government by Friday.

Several international flight operators have announced plans to cease flights to the region on Friday, including Egypt Air and Royal Jordanian Airlines. Iran closed its airspace on Sunday.

Nearly all neighboring regional powers objected to the referendum, warning that independence could further destabilize the region.

On Tuesday, KRG President Masoud Barzani hailed the preliminary results and urged the world to "respect the will of the people of Kurdistan."

"Let's engage in a serious dialogue and become good neighbors," Barzani said during a televised speech.

The vote was held across the autonomous region and in disputed territories including the oil-rich city of Kirkuk, a flashpoint city claimed by both sides.

It comes as Kurdish forces play an instrumental role in the fight against ISIS in Iraq and Syria. In helping to eliminate the terror group, Kurdish leaders appear to have expected the backing of the international community in pursuing nationalist aspirations.

But the referendum has received little support outside northern Iraq.

Both Iran and Turkey have sizable Kurdish minorities and fear the ballot might galvanize independence movements in their countries.

The United States, United Kingdom and the United Nations denounced the vote amid concerns that it could detract from the campaign against ISIS.

As voters cast their ballots Monday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan described the referendum as "illegal" and suggested Turkey could cut off oil exports from northern Iraq, depriving the KRG of a key source of revenue.

Israel is the only country in the region that supported the vote, with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu endorsing what he described as "the legitimate efforts of the Kurdish people to achieve their own state."

European Union leaders issued a statement on Wednesday calling on all parties involved to "exercise calm and restraint" and to resolve their issues through peaceful dialogue.

Numbering 30 million, Kurds make up a sizable minority in a number of Middle Eastern countries, including Iraq, Iran, Syria and Turkey.

Despite nearly a century of Kurdish nationalist movements in various countries, the Kurds have never had a nation of their own.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/27/middleeast/kurdish-referendum-results/index.html

Last edited:
Kurds gonna get militarily enriched.

I was going to make a thread on this but better you than me @Arkain2K

Good news as far as I'm concerned. I can't believe I agree with Bibi for once but there it is. I get why the neighboring countries would be nervous, they have good reason to be. But it'd be nice if all this chaos produced a Kurdistan that could exist peacefully with its neighbors.

As someone who is ignorant of the nitty gritty details on the ground it seems like the obvious compromise is to try to build Kurdistan out of the Syrian and Iraqi Kurdish regions. Both those nations are basically failed states at this point. Turkey and Iran are at least functioning states so I don't think pushing the issue there would be smart.

I know specifically in Iraq there are disputed territories but I say let the Kurds have them, they've proved more effective a fighting force than the Iraqi government so I'd trust them with it more than Baghdad. In Syria Bashar might be holding on but can he reclaim the whole country? Doubtful, so why not try to extract Kurdish independence from his position of weakness?

Kurds gonna get militarily enriched.

This and we are not going to help them just watch.

The Kurds are a sovereign people. They have every right to be free from Arab oppression. I just hope the US at least stays out of it even if they don't help

I'm not very familiar with the details, but I don't see why the US would oppose the Kurds being independent. They seem to have their stuff together from what I can tell. Iraq is a crap hole. Maybe someone can get it right around there. Wasn't our goal to "free people from within Iraq of their shackles so they can choose their own futures?" That's what the Kurds are doing here.

Good news as far as I'm concerned. I can't believe I agree with Bibi for once but there it is. I get why the neighboring countries would be nervous, they have good reason to be. But it'd be nice if all this chaos produced a Kurdistan that could exist peacefully with its neighbors.

As someone who is ignorant of the nitty gritty details on the ground it seems like the obvious compromise is to try to build Kurdistan out of the Syrian and Iraqi Kurdish regions. Both those nations are basically failed states at this point. Turkey and Iran are at least functioning states so I don't think pushing the issue there would be smart.

I know specifically in Iraq there are disputed territories but I say let the Kurds have them, they've proved more effective a fighting force than the Iraqi government so I'd trust them with it more than Baghdad. In Syria Bashar might be holding on but can he reclaim the whole country? Doubtful, so why not try to extract Kurdish independence from his position of weakness?

I support Kurdish Independence for one reason only: the central Iraqi government had failed miserably in their duty to protect the northern region from ISIS.

The Kurds would have been pushed to the edge of extinction by now had they relied on Baghdad to protect them like all those other minority groups. Fortunately, every brave Kurdish Peshmerga is worth more than a thousand fleeing Iraqi troops when the Toyota Hilux Cavalry approaches.

If the Central government can't protect the semi-autonomous region, it shouldn't be objecting to those region becoming fully autonomous after they've shed their blood to keep ISIS jihadis at bay. As far as I'm concerned, the only legitimate dispute that needs to be negotiated is territorial borders (and the shared resources contained within) between the current Iraq and the future Kurdistan.

2014:
iraq_control_qaeda_kurdistan_2014-01-12.png

2016:

screen%20shot%202016-02-12%20at%2012.11.41%20pm.png

2017:
iraq_syria_control_18_09_2017_976map_v1.png

Last edited:
I'm not very familiar with the details, but I don't see why the US would oppose the Kurds being independent. They seem to have their stuff together from what I can tell. Iraq is a crap hole. Maybe someone can get it right around there. Wasn't our goal to "free people from within Iraq of their shackles so they can choose their own futures?" That's what the Kurds are doing here.
The US has to balance the interests of the Kurds with those of the central government in Baghdad. The Kurds already have their own autonomous region so from the US perspective it might seem as if the Kurds are asking for too much after already been given some concessions.

But in my view the Kurds rightfully deserve independence, they're the ones who liberated those regions.
I support Kurdish Independence for one reason only: the central Iraqi government failed miserably in their duty to protect the northern region from ISIS.

The Kurds would have been pushed extinction by now had they relied on Baghdad to protect them like all those other minority groups. Fortunately, every brave Kurdish Peshmerga is worth more than a thousand fleeing Iraqi troops.
Yeah I agree. How can the government in Baghdad cry about the disputed regions when they failed to defend them?

George W. blew a great opportunity to support this a decade or more ago imo. An independent Kurdistan seemed only a matter of time but we'd have had a better start with them if we'd helped them from the get go.

George W. blew a great opportunity to support this a decade or more ago imo. An independent Kurdistan seemed only a matter of time but we'd have had a better start with them if we'd helped them from the get go.
I see what you're saying and I'm hardly an apologist for Bush but its a sensitive situation so I understand the restraint shown by the US. With the Israeli-Palestinian conflict it primarily involves Israel and the territories but this drags in four separate states with their own interests and alliances so its arguably even more of a sticky situation than that notorious conflict.

Both iraq and turkey reportedly mobilizing forces
Turkey has pulled troops from turkish idib(syria) area and moving them towards iraq.
Iraqi goverment talking about retaking oilfields in kurdish territory by force

I see what you're saying and I'm hardly an apologist for Bush but its a sensitive situation so I understand the restraint shown by the US. With the Israeli-Palestinian conflict it primarily involves Israel and the territories but this drags in four separate states with their own interests and alliances so its arguably even more of a sticky situation than that notorious conflict.

No doubt supporting an independent Kurdistan would have pissed off everyone. But arguably the largest US failure after invading Iraq was the inability to create some sort of governmental entity capable of defending itself. What we created instead was essentially a vacuum. Kurdistan was one of the likeliest bets at the time, and still is.

No doubt supporting an independent Kurdistan would have pissed off everyone. But arguably the largest US failure after invading Iraq was the inability to create some sort of governmental entity capable of defending itself. What we created instead was essentially a vacuum. Kurdistan was one of the likeliest bets at the time, and still is.
Oh I agree but I just think maybe back then would've been too early. The way its happening now, the Kurds ended proving themselves against the boogeyman that is ISIS and shown the world you can entrust them with the security in their lands.

In way the case of the Kurds is a good case in successful state building. The case of the Kurds shows its more fruitful to support organically formed nations of people on the ground and that ceding autonomy slowly overtime can lead to the creation of a state instead of trying to force the legitimacy of a fractured nation like Iraq. Its still early to call it a success but its trending in that direction it seems.

Kurds are a people who genocided the indigenous people of the land and continue to do so until today and refuse to acknowledge it, treating the indigenous Christians as sub humans just as their Arab and Turk masters did to them.

Seeing people suck their dick is somewhat hilarious given how they're even more radical than Levantine Arabs and Turks.

They have honour killings and they cut their women's vaginas up to say the least.

This was inevitable as soon as Sadam was ousted....as I have been saying since the invasion , next is the Sunni Shiite split ....

Iraq Orders Kurdistan to Surrender Its Airports
By DAVID ZUCCHINO | SEPT. 26, 2017
27kurds-master768.jpg

Erbil International Airport, in the capital of the Iraqi Kurdish region.
ERBIL, Iraq — Iraq’s prime minister, angered by a vote on independence by his nation’s Kurdish minority, has given the country’s Kurdish region until Friday to surrender control of its two international airports or face a shutdown of international flights.

Kurdish leaders in northern Iraq had antagonized Iraq, Turkey and Iran by holding the referendum on Monday. The results have not yet been announced, but the Kurdish Regional Government said on Tuesday that the vote had gone overwhelmingly in favor of independence from Iraq.

A “yes” vote would not lead to an immediate declaration of independence for the semiautonomous region, but it would direct the regional government to begin the process of creating an independent state, including negotiating a separation with Baghdad.

Iraqi officials have called the referendum unconstitutional and have refused to negotiate with the Kurdish leadership. The Iraqis fear losing a third of the country and a major source of oil should Kurdistan break away.

Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi said Tuesday that his government had decided to demand control of the airports because the referendum had “destabilized” the region. He said humanitarian and other “urgent” flights would be exempt from the ban.

Referring to the Kurdish leadership, he added, “Unfortunately, some have tried to weaken Iraq and be stronger than the state.”

“We are partners in this country, and the partnership means we work together and don’t carry out unilateral decisions that lead to division and conflict and weakness,” Mr. Abadi said.

There was no immediate response by leaders of the Kurdistan Regional Government. In an address in Erbil on Tuesday night, Massoud Barzani, the region’s president, referred indirectly to Mr. Abadi’s ultimatum.

“We ask the Baghdad government not to threaten the Kurds because of the referendum,” he said. He urged the Iraqi government to enter negotiations and to respect what he said was the will of the Kurdish people to seek a nation of their own.

He added that the referendum had been approved by a wide margin, though he did not provide figures. The Kurdish authorities are expected to announce the vote results on Wednesday.

Turkey and Iran fear that a move toward independence by the Iraqi Kurds will inflame separatist fervor among their countries’ Kurdish minorities. Videos on social media showed Kurds in at least two Iranian cities celebrating the Iraqi Kurds’ vote.

The United States also opposed the vote, worried that it could set off ethnic conflict, break up Iraq and undermine the American-led coalition against the Islamic State.

Both Turkey and Iran have threatened sanctions against the Kurdish region, including the closing of border crossings. Turkish and Iraqi troops are conducting military exercises on Iraq’s northern border near Kurdistan, and Iranian forces are carrying out similar maneuvers on Iraq’s eastern border.

Turkey’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, said Tuesday that Kurdistan’s action risked provoking a wider conflict, and he warned that Kurds would go hungry from a trade blockade with Turkey.

“If Barzani and the Kurdish Regional Government do not reverse this mistake as soon as possible, they will go down in history with the shame of taking the region into an ethnic and sectarian war,” he said in a televised speech from Ankara.

The Kurdish regional government, which has its own parliament and military force, operates international airports in its capital, Erbil, and in the northern city of Sulaimaniyah. There is no domestic Kurdish airline in the autonomous region.

Iraq asked other countries last week to halt flights into the Kurdish region, but only Iran complied.

Mr. Abadi is expected to meet on Wednesday with the Iraqi Parliament, which has voted to request that Iraqi troops be sent to disputed areas that are controlled by the Kurds but claimed by Baghdad. The would include the multiethnic, oil-rich city of Kirkuk, which the Kurds seized in 2014.

As the Islamic State rose in northern Iraq in 2014, Kurdish fighters took advantage of the chaos, and in some cases of fleeing Iraqi troops, to expand the Kurdish territory by 40 percent.

The Iraqi Parliament has also requested that the government consider closing land crossings linking Iraqi Kurdistan and the rest of the country.

The move by Mr. Abadi was viewed in Kurdistan as the beginning of a campaign to pressure the region to back away from independence.

For the Kurds, an independent state has been a national aspiration for generations. When borders in the Middle East were redrawn after World War I, the Kurds were denied a homeland. About 30 million Kurds are spread across Iraq, Iran, Syria and Turkey.

For decades, Baathist-led governments in Baghdad tried to crush or evict the Kurds from their traditional lands and replace them with Arabs. But the Kurds were protected from Saddam Hussein’s troops by an American no-fly zone starting in 1991, and have since built a thriving proto-state across northern Iraq.

Analysts say that even if the referendum does not result in immediate independence, it strengthens the Kurds’ leverage in negotiating greater autonomy from Baghdad.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/world/middleeast/iraq-kurds-independence.html

Iraq Escalates Dispute With Kurds, Threatening Military Action
By DAVID ZUCCHINO and MARGARET COKER | SEPT. 27, 2017

28kurds2-master768.jpg

Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi of Iraq, center, arriving for a session of Parliament in Baghdad on Wednesday.

ERBIL, Iraq — The Iraqi government escalated its confrontation with its northern Kurdish region on Wednesday, threatening to send troops and seize oil fields there and taking steps to shut down international flights to and from the region.

The moves came in retaliation for a referendum on Monday in which the region, Iraqi Kurdistan, voted decisively to seek independence from Iraq. Kurdish officials announced Wednesday that nearly 93 percent of voters approved the referendum, which aims to create an independent state for the Kurds, an ethnic minority in Iraq.

Iraq’s Parliament asked the country’s prime minister on Wednesday to deploy troops to the oil-rich city of Kirkuk, one of several disputed areas held by Kurdish troops but claimed by Baghdad, and to take control of all oil fields in the Kurdish region.

A decision to send troops would be up to Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi. He gave no public indication of his intentions on Wednesday, except to say he wanted “no fighting among the people of the country.”

He also sent a delegation from the Iraqi military to Iran to “coordinate military efforts,” a military statement said.

Iraq has called the vote illegal and has vowed to ignore the results. The vote has also provoked the Kurdish region’s two powerful neighbors, Turkey and Iran.

All three countries have been conducting military exercises near the border of Iraqi Kurdistan this week.

Iraqi troops, including Shiite Muslim militias incorporated into Iraq’s armed forces, are already in the Kirkuk area. While the city is controlled by Kurdish forces, Iraqi troops are fighting the Islamic State as part of an American-led coalition about 40 miles southwest of the city.

Kurdish troops known as pesh merga seized Kirkuk in 2014, when the Iraqi Army fled an assault by militants there.

The inclusion of Kirkuk and other disputed areas in the referendum enraged the Iraqi government, which interpreted the move as a land grab. Baghdad has accused the Kurds of illegally selling Iraqi oil from the Kirkuk oil fields through a pipeline that runs into Turkey.

The Kurdish independence challenge is the latest crisis to rock Iraq in recent years. The country was controlled by Saddam Hussein’s regime until 2003, when the American invasion helped set off a brutal civil war and years of wrenching upheaval.

Just three years ago, Iraq lost a third of its territory to Islamic State militants. Now that the Islamic State is finally being driven out, Iraq is faced with losing a third of its territory and access to areas with oil and natural gas if Kurdistan breaks away.

Beyond the threats of military action, Iraqi authorities have struggled to come up with any meaningful punishment for the Kurds for carrying out the referendum. But with its move to shut down flights to the landlocked region, Iraq seems to have found a weak point.

Iraqi aviation authorities notified foreign airlines on Wednesday that it would cancel all permits to land and take off from two international airports in the Kurdish region as of Friday afternoon. The action followed an ultimatum by Prime Minister Abadi on Tuesday for Kurdistan to surrender control of its two international airports or face a shutdown of international flights.

The Kurdish Regional Government said Wednesday that it would refuse to hand over the airports. The region’s transportation minister, Mawlud Murad, called the Iraqi ultimatum “political and illegal.” He said the airports were critical to the American-led coalition’s fight against Islamic State militants.

Kurdish officials had planned to send a delegation to Baghdad on Wednesday to discuss the issue, but the offer was rebuffed.

On Wednesday night, Mr. Murad said that the Kurdish government had agreed to hold talks with Iraq about placing Iraqi government observers at its airports.

There was no immediate public response from the Iraqi government, but Mr. Abadi, speaking to Parliament earlier, said Iraq would not negotiate with the Kurds unless they annulled the results of the vote.

He said he had warned the Kurds “of the consequences of the crisis with Kurdistan.”

“The preservation of the security of the citizens of the country is our priority,” he added.

At least six airlines — three Turkish companies, the Lebanese carrier Middle East Airlines, Royal Jordanian and Egypt Air — started notifying passengers on Wednesday that they were canceling regularly scheduled flights from the airports in Erbil and Sulaimaniya.

Baghdad can make good on its threat because the Iraqi civil aviation authority oversees all airports in the country, including the two international airports in the Kurdish region.

The threat to cancel landing and takeoff permits would force international airlines to cancel flights to those airports because insurance risks would be too high, according to Robert W. Mann Jr., a former airline executive who is now an industry consultant.

“The issue turns on which entity controls Kurdish region airspace and airports,” Mr. Mann said. “Unless and until the autonomous region is given that control, Iraq controls and can ban, blockade or embargo air service to airports under its control, much as Qatari airports have been embargoed or blockaded by nearby nations. Faced with such a restriction, most commercial airlines would comply, in part due to warnings by their insurers.”

The Turkish Consulate in Erbil said that Turkish airlines were working to increase their seat capacity in an effort to get all passengers out of the Kurdish areas before the flight ban took effect on Friday afternoon.

Without international flights, getting in or out of Kurdistan would require going through Turkey, Iran, Syria or Iraq, where there are also threats of a blockade.

The Iraqi Parliament urged the government on Wednesday to close off its land border with Kurdistan.

For years, the Kurdish authorities in Erbil have controlled their own borders with Turkey and Syria. Mr. Abadi has demanded that all borders return to full Iraqi central government control by Friday.

Turkey’s customs minister, in remarks carried by Turkish state television, said that the main land border crossing between Turkey and the Iraqi Kurdish region remained open, although he would not say for how long that would remain the case.

Turkey is the largest trade partner with Iraqi Kurdistan, and the road border is used for much of the cargo trade. Turkey also is the transit country for the oil pumped out of areas controlled by the Kurdish authorities to the world market.

Turkey and Iran have opposed the referendum and any moves toward Kurdish independence, fearing unrest by their own Kurdish minorities.

Kurdish authorities in Erbil announced on Wednesday that 92.7 percent of those who went to the polls on Monday had voted for Kurdish leaders to seek independence.

About 72 percent of 4.6 million registered voters cast ballots, with about 2.9 million voting yes to independence and about 224,000 voting no, the Kurdish Independent High Electoral Referendum Commission reported.

The referendum does not automatically trigger a declaration of independence but sets in motion a series of moves toward the establishment of a Kurdish state. The most important one of those may be negotiations of a separation with Iraq, which Iraq has refused.

American officials opposed the vote because they feared it would destabilize Iraq, stir ethnic conflict and undermine the American-led coalition.

Kurdish pesh merga fighters have played a central role in the coalition’s operations against the Islamic State militants, fighting alongside Iraqi Army units.

The Kurdish region’s president, Massoud Barzani, pushed for the referendum in hopes of obtaining a strong public mandate for eventual independence that he could use to begin negotiations with Baghdad.

Kurds have been celebrating since Monday evening, setting off fireworks, honking horns and affixing flapping red, white and green Kurdish flags to their automobiles. Government billboards promoting Monday’s independence vote were still in place on Wednesday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/27/world/middleeast/kurdistan-referendum-iraq.html?mcubz=1

Great. Another shitty little region in the Middle East to fight over.

Oh I agree but I just think maybe back then would've been too early. The way its happening now, the Kurds ended proving themselves against the boogeyman that is ISIS and shown the world you can entrust them with the security in their lands.

In way the case of the Kurds is a good case in successful state building. The case of the Kurds shows its more fruitful to support organically formed nations of people on the ground and that ceding autonomy slowly overtime can lead to the creation of a state instead of trying to force the legitimacy of a fractured nation like Iraq. Its still early to call it a success but its trending in that direction it seems.
I understand you said it's too early to tell but I don't think that can be stressed enough. Any nation, once ridden of a common enemy, has a chance at falling apart, but that's probably more true in the Middle East. The Kurds are primarily Sunni Muslim and have Arabs in their territory. In the long run they're not immune to the issues of the other middle eastern countries.

There should be an independent Kurdistan made out of parts of Iraq, Syria, and Turkey. I know we won't be getting this one right, and I hate this planet sometimes. There are going to be a lot of killings that we allow to happen.

Back