9mm or .40cal for long range shooting

I'll definitely take a look into it. Given my 23 is a carry gun though I doubt it would be on that one.

Wonder if my Para could take one....

Looks good on a Nighthawk

shadow-hawk-rmr_01.jpg

shadow-hawk-rmr_02.jpg

There is a mount made for a rear sight. Maybe there is an option for yours.

Nv17inC.jpg

Look man, people here, with experience, have been telling you how underwhelming pistol calibre carbines (especially ones chambered for common autoloading cartridges) can be. The difference in accuracy between a 9mm and .40 S&W, at the limit of their already limited effective ranges, will be a wash. It's like arguing which car is faster in a drag race, a Sunfire or Cavalier. Furthermore, these kinds guns aren't particularly accurate anyways; more accurate than a pistol but is still nowhere near the performance of an actual centrefire rifle. Like everywhere else on the internet, once you get off your computer, you're free to do as you please. Buy a Cx4 if that's what tickles your fancy, just don't be surprised if you find yourself disappointed.

Last edited:
failure to feed/fire issues.. i have shot 4 different ones from friends... maybe it's my stroke of bad luck or the ars weren't built well... regardless not a big fan.

Why are you still on my thread.. Yes I'm super report happy and ready to pull the report trigger anytime... Right... join date: 2009, 7 years on sherdog and you are my first report. Yep I didn't even notice there was a report button until then.

leave my thread if you have nothing else to say, if you want to whip your e-peen out, that's fine, do so somewhere else.

I have my info on here and don't like being sour on the net. you can find me if you want, i have no issues meeting you in real life, so we can settle any beef.

thanks

Aparently you didn't read the forum rules about violence and threats in the weapons room.

My god what the hell is wrong with you???

Meet you in real life???

Lets all stop with the insults and "fight me irl" bullshit. Thanks.

I know James Yeager isn't agreeable for a lot of people, but he makes great points here.

Is he saying submachine guns are okay, but pistol caliber carbines are not?

What if it is for a very strong pistol calibre like 10mm auto?

Is he saying submachine guns are okay, but pistol caliber carbines are not?

What if it is for a very strong pistol calibre like 10mm auto?
From what I've read, submachine guns are falling out of favour and are being replaced by SBRs.

So derringer went stopped at four books, and that is very short. The sub2000 only went through 5 books and that is very long barrel, and the full size pistol went through 6. Maybe he should have used like an MP40 or an MP5 which is between the sub2000, and pistol.

Sorry but in my experience the PX4 fucking sucks and there is at least one guy here that is stuck with a PX4 for his duty gun and he despises the thing. He wants a PX4 then he can get a PX4 but even the gunsmiths in my town who are all the guys that will sell you want you want, maybe make a suggestion or two of alternatives, but ultimately sell you want you want. Unless it's a PX4, they all hate the thing and hate working on it.

The PX4 reminds me of those early Springfield attempts at a Glock knockoff that were just, bleh.

Why don't you like the AR just out of curiosity? In this situation it might be the best thing for the situation as yo ucan get it in a ton of different calibers. Even .22
That'd be me.

"Despise" is a strong word for how I feel about the gun, "strongly dislike" would probably describe it better, but it doesn't really stem from anything related to function or ergonomics, of which I try not to be too particular about anyways. I think the mark of a good shooter is adaptability and I've always tried to incorporate that into my own skillset.

There are a few mechanical features I really dislike like the magazine disconnect safety, which at the College, was described in the curriculum as a great safety feature. I view it as just one more thing that will make my gun not function if I need it to. The bore axis is pretty high (which it kind of needs to be because they still teach that stupid fucking C-clamp grip) but muzzle flip is negated by the rotating barrel design, it is a pretty soft shooter.

What really bothers me is what it represents; that the right dick was sucked and we were stuck with a commercial failure of a pistol. In my mind, a good LE duty pistol should have several key elements: a high degree of "idiot-proof-ness" and by that, I don't mean heavy triggers for poorly trained and trigger happy officers. I mean it shouldn't be so prone to limp-wrist malfunctions, which it is, especially considering level of training. Rotating breech locks look good on paper and tame quite a bit of recoil, but you can't tell me all those lugs contacting the slide rails is less problematic than a conventional tilting breech lock. I think Beretta just wanted to be different for the sake of being different. I also think that LE agencies should gravitate towards commercially successful designs, which the Px4 is not. This means poor support; there are a grand total of two gunsmiths in all of Canada, who are qualified to detail strip and service the pistol beyond a basic field strip, where as certified Glock armourers are a dime a dozen. It doesn't help that the design is more complicated and has more small parts than a common striker fired, polymer pistol design.

Functionally, for me, it works fine. I do have to adjust when I practice with my privately owned Glocks, but like I said, I own a bunch of different firearms because I don't want to be spoiled by one particular type. Qualifications are never a problem for me and I always go home early. I also don't limp wrist and stove pipe the fucking thing because I already knew how to shoot before even applying for the job. I do like that they chose the DAO model because like I said earlier, fuck slide mounted safeties and DA/SA triggers, but that's my personal preference and the type of pistol I'm least comfortable with.

finished for now, until i can get some night sights... the custom holster is made by a friend, he had to cast it 3 times to get it right.. the light switches on automatically when drawn.. i'm going to go test how it all operates tomorrow

Last edited:
What company is that light? So used to seeing InForce or Streamlights on pistols that when I see a light not made by them I have to ask.

That'd be me.

"Despise" is a strong word for how I feel about the gun, "strongly dislike" would probably describe it better, but it doesn't really stem from anything related to function or ergonomics, of which I try not to be too particular about anyways. I think the mark of a good shooter is adaptability and I've always tried to incorporate that into my own skillset.

There are a few mechanical features I really dislike like the magazine disconnect safety, which at the College, was described in the curriculum as a great safety feature. I view it as just one more thing that will make my gun not function if I need it to. The bore axis is pretty high (which it kind of needs to be because they still teach that stupid fucking C-clamp grip) but muzzle flip is negated by the rotating barrel design, it is a pretty soft shooter.

What really bothers me is what it represents; that the right dick was sucked and we were stuck with a commercial failure of a pistol. In my mind, a good LE duty pistol should have several key elements: a high degree of "idiot-proof-ness" and by that, I don't mean heavy triggers for poorly trained and trigger happy officers. I mean it shouldn't be so prone to limp-wrist malfunctions, which it is, especially considering level of training. Rotating breech locks look good on paper and tame quite a bit of recoil, but you can't tell me all those lugs contacting the slide rails is less problematic than a conventional tilting breech lock. I think Beretta just wanted to be different for the sake of being different. I also think that LE agencies should gravitate towards commercially successful designs, which the Px4 is not. This means poor support; there are a grand total of two gunsmiths in all of Canada, who are qualified to detail strip and service the pistol beyond a basic field strip, where as certified Glock armourers are a dime a dozen. It doesn't help that the design is more complicated and has more small parts than a common striker fired, polymer pistol design.

Functionally, for me, it works fine. I do have to adjust when I practice with my privately owned Glocks, but like I said, I own a bunch of different firearms because I don't want to be spoiled by one particular type. Qualifications are never a problem for me and I always go home early. I also don't limp wrist and stove pipe the fucking thing because I already knew how to shoot before even applying for the job. I do like that they chose the DAO model because like I said earlier, fuck slide mounted safeties and DA/SA triggers, but that's my personal preference and the type of pistol I'm least comfortable with.
Would the Glock be your duty model of choice? Which model?

Would the Glock be your duty model of choice? Which model?
Yeah, but I'm a converted Glock Kool Aid drinker. I'd be okay with an M&P9 as well, seeing as LE knee jerk, lowest common denominator inspired policies are trending away from models which require a trigger pull for field strip. Not that it has ever been a problem for me, but there are lots of people with badges who have never even fired a gun prior to training and don't practice on a regular basis. The training curriculum and approved gun handling procedures reflect that. They're dated and meant for the retards who don't or can't shoot or handle a gun safely without strict, hand holding, breast feeding, ass wiping guidelines. 9mm is fine for me, I don't really care for calibre pissing matches, considering how well modern hollow points seem to perform.

RCMP, whose policies we tend to adopt anyways, use 9mm in their S&W 5906s. Logistically, it makes sense for federal LE agencies to streamline calibre choices.

Oh yeah, guess I didn't fully answer the question in my initial post, but I'd pick a Glock 17, Gen 4 if I could change arming policy. Interchangeable backstraps are becoming so commonplace that they're almost a requirement. When we qualify, they even go so far as to record what size backstrap we use.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, guess I didn't fully answer the question in my initial post, but I'd pick a Glock 17, Gen 4 if I could change arming policy. Interchangeable backstraps are becoming so commonplace that they're almost a requirement. When we qualify, they even go so far as to record what size backstrap we use.
Talking about the 17 can I say I am still kind of confused why the SEALs went with the 19 over the 17

What company is that light? So used to seeing InForce or Streamlights on pistols that when I see a light not made by them I have to ask.

Nebo 6109 iProTec RM190 High-Powered Firearm Light
the lady at the gun store.. had a talk with me about holsters and lights... i opted to get a light, as they only had 1 leather holster option that would fit the gun....

funny thing is i noticed her the ring on her middle finger when she was showing me the light... then straight up switched up to her ring finger when she was installing the light for me...

light works well so far... has option of steady or strobe.. feels durable, but I'll eventually upgrade to a surefire.

Last edited:
Talking about the 17 can I say I am still kind of confused why the SEALs went with the 19 over the 17
That's a shrug for me as well. The slightly smaller form factor doesn't really matter if it's carried in a drop leg, IMO. I'll tell you why I would choose the 17 as a duty gun, which is similar to why I own one privately and part of why I hate the Px4.

It's popular.

Every holster manufacturer makes a Glock 17/22 holster. Replacement parts are everywhere, as are certified armourers. The Glock 19, wouldn't be as optimal a choice in Canada, IMO, at least not on such a wide scale. It's not that popular up here to begin with because in it's factory configuration, it's actually a prohibited firearm; the barrel is too short. Guys who actually own 19s have aftermarket barrels installed prior to importation and cost goes way up. While it won't be as much of a pain-in-the-ass to find a holster for a 19, they still won't be as common. I think some plainclothes officers in the Toronto Police Services carry 23s, but the 22 is overwhelmingly more abundant.

I went the retard route and bought a 21 first. Couldn't find a light compatible (Surefire X300) holster for it, at the time, up here. Eventually got a 17 because I wanted to shoot out of a holster and not pay so much to shoot it.

Only thing I can think of is its nice to be able to use 17 or 19 mags in a 19 but you can't go the other way... Either that or just a shorter grip to reduce snags while running around and shit - would be more of a factor with a drop-leg than a belt holster, imo.

I think the 19 was already in use by several branches so they just adopted it. Lots of people don't seem to like the palm swell of the 17 (dosent bother me) but it's also probably an issue of popularity as the 19 is glocks most popular model by a huuuuge margin.

I'd read of lots of pilots, delta and other type groups using the 19, I think delta uses the 22 pretty regularly too.

Only thing I can think of is its nice to be able to use 17 or 19 mags in a 19 but you can't go the other way... Either that or just a shorter grip to reduce snags while running around and shit - would be more of a factor with a drop-leg than a belt holster, imo.

That's true and also makes sense if they are adopting stuff from other groups sticking with what is already there would eliminate the issue of getting the wrong mags.

If it were up to me, I'd also go with the 19. I've been shooting them for years and while tthe 17 is cool, I like the 19 better. Just feels better but I shoot the 2 about the same.

From what I've read, submachine guns are falling out of favour and are being replaced by SBRs.

I listened to an interview with a navy seal and he was saying that seal teams are moving away from sub machine guns like mp5s because guys are wearing more armor and there's been far more cases of guys not going down right away after being shot with the mp5 (9mm) so they are not really using them much. They were cool 20 years ago but there's better stuff now.

Back