A black man was forced to pay upfront at a Chinese restaurant. He got his meal — and $10,000.

The Big Bang

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ot-his-meal-and-10000/?utm_term=.8eea33d3cbd7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the early hours of May 3, 2014, Emile Wickham and three of his friends went out to eat in downtown Toronto for Wickham’s birthday. The group chose to celebrate at Hong Shing Chinese Restaurant, a mainstay in the area for nearly two decades, in part because they saw other people eating there at that hour.

The group was seated and ordered food, but a waiter told them they would need to pay upfront for their meals before they could be served. It was the restaurant’s policy, he said.

According to court documents, Wickham said the request “didn’t sit well” with him, even after he and his friends — the only black diners at Hong Shing at the time — had paid in advance. Wickham began going around to other tables in the restaurant and asking whether they, too, had been asked to pay for their meals ahead of time.

No one else had had the same experience.

“That’s really messed up,” one diner told Wickham after he explained why he was asking.

“Upon learning that no other patrons had been asked to prepay for their meals they asked the waiter to explain why they had to pay and no one else had been expected to do so,” court documents said.

It was then the waiter acknowledged that Wickham’s group had been the only one in the restaurant asked to prepay for their meals, according to court documents.

“Rather than offer any explanation for the prepayment he simply asked them whether they wanted their money back,” court documents said. “The applicant said that it was evident that the waiter simply wanted to end the conversation as quickly as possible, and was being very defensive.”

The next year, Wickham lodged a complaint with the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, a governmental board that resolves discrimination and harassment claims, alleging that he and his friends had been racially profiled by the staff at Hong Shing restaurant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUCK being racially fucking profiled.

WAR putting that racist business in their fucking place.

Was this at shitty wok?

Jokes aside, that's fucked up. Glad they got paid.

cf8ual.jpg

So fellas, it's restaurant policy that you pay up front. Never mind that you've likely never eaten at a restaurant with that policy, and you're the only black people in here. Just trust me, okay.

That waiter is a grade-A dunce.

10k is nothing though, and 10k in CanadiEhn money is barely enough money to heat an igloo thru the 11-month winter. They should have been forced to give him sole ownership of the restaurant.

10k is nothing though, and 10k in CanadiEhn money is barely enough money to heat an igloo thru the 11-month winter. They should have been forced to give him sole ownership of the restaurant.

10k is a lot to a small private owned business. It seems like an appropriate penalty.

they didn't refuse to serve them, just asked to pay in advance .. 10k for that ? .. we've become a society of proud whiners and complainers .. we need a cleansing

they didn't refuse to serve them, just asked to pay in advance .. 10k for that ? .. we've become a society of proud whiners and complainers .. we need a cleansing

Asked them AND ONLY THEM to pay in advance.

Yeah because only black people dine and dash.

Well, you have to assert that the ONLY reason they were forced to pay up front was because of their color. We have no idea how the were dressed or how they were acting.

I would bet that in the restaurant's history other black people went there and if they would have experienced the same treatment then surely one of them would have filed before this incident.

But yes, people (or bigots if you will) only see black people as their skin color and nothing else.

EDIT: Wouldn't it be funny if these exact same people dined and dashed the week before at this restaurant?

Waffle House at 2am has been the only time I’ve ever had to pay up front, but they were doing that to everyone so that’s cool and just avoids them being stiffed by drunk assholes

Glad this guy stuck up for himself on the bullshit of being profiled and got paid for it

Edit: Also, from my experiences, Japanese and Chinese are some of the most overtly racist people I’ve interacted with. Southern rural whites at least tried to hide it in public. The Asian college students were just.... wow

edit double post

Stay classy Canada. Dudes deserve the money they got.

Mixed feelings. Sucks restaurant was racist but human rights tribunal is canadas thought police and needs to be abolished.

Waffle House at 2am has been the only time I’ve ever had to pay up front, but they were doing that to everyone so that’s cool and just avoids them being stiffed by drunk assholes

Glad this guy stuck up for himself on the bullshit of being profiled and got paid for it

Edit: Also, from my experiences, Japanese and Chinese are some of the most overtly racist people I’ve interacted with. Southern rural whites at least tried to hide it in public. The Asian college students were just.... wow
My fiancée and I are Punjabi (Indian) and often joke our people are the most racist on earth haha. One of the slang words used for blacks in our language literally translates to "demon."

Back