A blue belt i use to own medaled in mundials

I find that BJJ progression comes in bumps. You get good at some stuff when your brain is ready

Sometimes you suck at defending the one thing that the other guy is good at.

Then you find a way to defend properly and that edge he had dissapears.

I used to get passed easily and to let people have good pressure on me, letting them get the underhook easily and let them smash me. I got better at fighting the underhook, then I was able to sweep, I was not stuck on my back waiting for them to mount me. In about a week I came from being an easy prey for some guys to being a hard roll for anyone.

Practice or local tournaments? I assumed he meant local tournaments.

A few questions:
1.) Are you the same size?
2.)Were you "owning" him with the same technique/position/guard?
3.) Do you train at the same BJJ academy?
4.) What weight did he win Mundials at? I ask this because some weights aren't that deep.
5.)Are you sure he was looking at the roll as competively as you were? He might have been working on his weaknesses and not looking to "win" the roll.

You shouldn't be pissed. Instead of being angry with his success,try and gain insight in what he did to get to that level so you can replicate it(assuming you want the same result).Stop being a hater.

1. no im about 40lbs heavier, but he's much younger than me, in his prime.
2. yes i passed his guard and muscled a figure four.
3. No i dont train there anymore ive taken a break sortof.
4. i dont want to say cause i want to stay anon.
5. he was far more competitive in the rolls as he was/is an active competitor and i just rolled for fun.

1. no im about 40lbs heavier, but he's much younger than me, in his prime.
2. yes i passed his guard and muscled a figure four.
3. No i dont train there anymore ive taken a break sortof.
4. i dont want to say cause i want to stay anon.
5. he was far more competitive in the rolls as he was/is an active competitor and i just rolled for fun.

40 lbs is alot. Odds are, his opponents in Mundials weren't trying to musle figure fours on him.

It can be tough to see people progress sometimes - when you used to do things in rolls you no longer can.

In young competitors it seems more dramatic. Sometimes they are weak at first and don't move too well. Then they learn how to move their hip, use their flexibility etc and all of a sudden they are able to defend your guard pass attempts and recover guard very quickly; and their endurance seems limitless.

Look at it this way though TS, you gave him hard competitive rolls and probably were a part of his progression. It sounds like you want to compete though - get out there and do it, it's a rewarding and productive experience.

I feel ya man, if I had stuck with it (not quit from injuries/divorce/dumbassed-ness/work) I'd be a black belt (or at least a brown belt) by now.

Let it motivate you!

Seem like a troll thread to me. To quote Allen Iverson "we talking about practice".

Don't be that guy to keep a record of gym wins
I agree with the troll thread. Majority of the posts tho itt...projecting.

Back