A boxing guy's take on Conor vs Paulie

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So we all keep hearing about this potential boxing match between Conor and Paulie.

Here is my two cents.

From a business standpoint? It probably sells decently well. Paulie has the gift of gab. He has been able to sell fights before, most notably in his fight with Adrien Broner, and he has historically made builds ups/press conferences very entertaining ( against Cotto, Hatton, Khan, Broner etc). Conor is Conor. He can sell a fight with the best of them. Theres a storyline here as well.

Competitive standpoint? Honestly.... I think there is a reason Conor hasn't released the sparring videos. It indicates he probably didn't do very well. Paulie is about 7ish years removed from his prime and is considered to has very little KO power even when he was at his best. So if they were to fight it might be decently competitive. Ultimately I think Conor would lose a decision because Paulie does have real boxing skills, good footwork etc. But it would likely be a decent little fight for the first 6ish rounds before cardio starts to affect Conor. And with Paulie being soooo far past his prime it makes it even closer.

Now lets talk about the big hiccup. Does it make sense......honestly it depends. If Conor wants to make money he probably is better off fighting Paulie. He MIGHT be able to win. I give him a small chance, but he still COULD win. Do I think he would? Probably not. Again Paulie is actually a fine boxer, and its a credit to him that he was able to get so far in the sport of boxing with no KO power. He likely takes a decision despite being so far removed from his prime.

However as a boxing guy who enjoys MMA, I think it would be better for Conor to stay in MMA. He just is not a boxer. Hes a big fish in a small pond in MMA. In boxing hes not really anything. The appeal is basically gone and if he fights anyone above the club level he likely gets hurt.

Conor is a good MMA fighter. A great standup MMA fighter. He can hang with the best in MMA. Its probably best that he stays there.

But I'll say this too....we know Conor is all about the money right? He likely makes more fighting a retired Paulie in boxing than anyone in mma right now........so I guess we will see

i agree with you TS but since when that kind of stuff will stop irish jabroni to get a paycheck? i doubt he will fight Paulie unless he swallows his huge ego and actually train boxing for a boxing match which he should have done for the Floyd fight (Roddy saying boxing is just striking... SHEEEESHH)

Only time will tell if that will became reality and Mcg will risk his value as a fighter once again.

It sold well because the public is uneducated and thought Conor had a shot to win. The novelty of seeing a crossover with a big mma striker is gone.

I think the Malinaggi fight would tank. No one wants to see another light hitting boxing match. Without the novelty of a crossover, they need to come up with something else to sell. McGregor can’t fight any real top contenders and certainly not those in his own weight division. He’d need to call out a big name that has punching power, that isn’t competitive anymore. People will pay to see the prospect of Conor potentially being put to sleep in some kind of a war.

It sold well because the public is uneducated and thought Conor had a shot to win. The novelty of seeing a crossover with a big mma striker is gone.

I think the Malinaggi fight would tank. No one wants to see another light hitting boxing match. Without the novelty of a crossover, they need to come up with something else to sell. McGregor can’t fight any real top contenders and certainly not those in his own weight division. He’d need to call out a big name that has punching power, that isn’t competitive anymore. People will pay to see the prospect of Conor potentially being put to sleep in some kind of a war.

He had a shot to win. Very small shot but he had somewhat of a punchers chance (at least people thought so, now it turns out he is pillow fisted). If that wasn't the case you all would put thousands of thousands of dollar on Floyd. You didn't because there is ALWAYS a chance in a fight. And that chance was Conor's. I guess even educated fans just tuned it to see if he somehow could pull out a horseshoe from his ass and beat Mayweather with it since he often does defy odds. Or they tuned in to see if Floyd can finish him. Either way, they tuned in.

He had a shot to win. Very small shot but he had somewhat of a punchers chance (at least people thought so, now it turns out he is pillow fisted). If that wasn't the case you all would put thousands of thousands of dollar on Floyd. You didn't because there is ALWAYS a chance in a fight. And that chance was Conor's. I guess even educated fans just tuned it to see if he somehow could pull out a horseshoe from his ass and beat Mayweather with it since he often does defy odds. Or they tuned in to see if Floyd can finish him. Either way, they tuned in.

<{cruzshake}>

i didnt, because i was lazy and didnt care

<{cruzshake}>

i didnt, because i was lazy and didnt care

Of course you were lazy to get rich ;) I was lazy too. Honestly. But that was because I wasn't sure enough that Floyd is going to win to lose all my money.

Of course you were lazy to get rich ;) I was lazy too. Honestly. But that was because I wasn't sure enough that Floyd is going to win to lose all my money.

lel i said this months/weeks ago. maybe its because ive never betted in my whole life (online)
<LucyBless>

Against any competent pro boxer, even if we ignore his lack of skills and experience, he doesn't have the power to KO them or the stamina to outbox them over the distance, even if he could.

What a thread filled with bums talking about Conor vs. Paulie in a boxing ring. Have a nice day.

Well if Connor would work more on cardio and pacing himself he could do much better than against May.

He's a quick learner.

He wouldn't be so edgy against Paulie, who is much slower than May and in worse shape.

If i were Connor, i'd fighr Paulie, more cash, more exposure, still not as dangerous as Tony, lol.

The reason he has not released it is because that would be giving away a 100 million dollar fight for free. That would be beyond bad judgement. I imagine it was as Paulie and Conor said it was, with Conor taking the first 6, Paulie coming on strong til the tenth and then Conor surging in the 11th -12th. I imagine it was competitive and both fighters had their moments and this is truly remarkable tho when you consider Conor is, as you say, an MMA fighter and never boxed professionally ever.

I cant get into this. I dont think Connor has a chance against Paulie, it will be partially scripted.

Well your a moron because anyone who knew a little bit about boxing knew Floyd was gonna win

The reason he has not released it is because that would be giving away a 100 million dollar fight for free. That would be beyond bad judgement. I imagine it was as Paulie and Conor said it was, with Conor taking the first 6, Paulie coming on strong til the tenth and then Conor surging in the 11th -12th. I imagine it was competitive and both fighters had their moments and this is truly remarkable tho when you consider Conor is, as you say, an MMA fighter and never boxed professionally ever.
Conor never took the first 6 of anything but a cock.

Why does Conor have more power in the UFC? It can't just be the gloves

Conor doesn't have more power in MMA. His MMA opponents just have weaker chins.

Why does Conor have more power in the UFC? It can't just be the gloves

UFC fighters do not know how to defend themselves the way a professional boxer does, so they take terrible shots.

UFC fighters do not know how to defend themselves the way a professional boxer does, so they take terrible shots.

Defense hasn't been as refined as well as it has been in boxing. It's no one's fault per say, because it's such a young sport, there's still very few people understand everything going in a fight and that's a lot even compared to boxing.

The first few generations of 20th century boxing was the domain of the extremely tough and hard hitting. First come the tough athletes, then the nerds, and then the nerds start training super athletes.

Back