A comparison of Colby Covington's draw

UFCBlackbelt

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I was intrigued to do this after Schaub mentioned in his latest podcast that Colby's persona really hasn't been selling well.

I wanted to do a comparison of Colby Covington and Edson Barboza, really different personalities.
To be fair, I did not include cards where they were both present (colby appeared on a lot of conor's cards) and tried to compare, there is a lot that is going to influence the data so its not all accurate. I avoided any cards with McGregor since he is a huge star.

Colby Covington

UFC Fight Night: Holm vs. Correia (on main card)
* Attendance: 8,414
* Gate: $839,300

UFC Fight Night: Brunson Vs Machida (on main card)

* Attendance: 10,022 (sold out)
* Gate: N/A

UFC 225: Whitaker vs Romero 2 (Co-main)
* Attendance: 18,117
* Gate: $2,550,000
* PPV Buys: 250,000

Edson Barboza:

UFC on FX: Belfort vs. Bisping
Attendance: 9,116

UFC Fight Night: Edgar vs Swanson
(on main card)
Attendance 10,131[1]
Total gate $670,022[1]

UFC On Fox: Holm vs Schevchenko (co-main)
Attendance 10,287[1]
Total gate $1,000,000[1]

UFC 197: Jones vs. Saint Preux
Attendance 11,352 [1]
Total gate $2,300,000[1]
Buyrate 322,000[2][3]

After reviewing this, it doesn't really seem that Colby is your classic draw, he's not bad but not great

His last big fight which had CM Punk on the card and another title fight sold 250,000 PPVs. That's pathetic

His fight with RDA added popularity to him.

If he fights Woodley, he could make a beef pretty big playing race card lol.

Imagine if he said against Woodley what Dc said to Jones:

P.S. look like MJ enjoying the beef, lol.

NMuYTo5.jpg

Colby's draw ^

His last big fight which had CM Punk on the card and another title fight sold 250,000 PPVs. That's pathetic

CM Punk was a big reason why I didn’t watch that event. I don’t want to support that freak show shit Dana is pulling. If he sees it working expect more bush league ratings fights.

CM Punk was a big reason why I didn’t watch that event. I don’t want to support that freak show shit Dana is pulling. If he sees it working expect more bush league ratings fights.
I bet you supported the freakshow shit in pride and the freak shows in bellator though.........

I didn't pay for the even and I was pissed for staying up and having 30mins wasted on that fight. I was at least hoping for Punk to show some progress but it just showed they both are really bad. It was torture to watch that fight I can't imagine how horrible people felt if they paid for it.

He's building. I bet it will climb. He's just getting traction.

His fight with RDA added popularity to him.

Says who? His style is not exactly conducive to winning over new fans. Did any non fans of his leave that card saying, "Man I can't wait to watch Colby snuggle someone again."

Nobody knew who he was until he beat Maia, just like nobody knew who Sonnen was until he beat Marquardt. The RDA fight is huge for his career so it will be interesting to see going forward how he does.

Attendance and Gate figures are pretty worthless for determining drawing power. The venue size, the number of comped tickets, the price of the tickets, the location of the venue, etc. are all aspects that impact Attendance/Gate and not necessarily have anything to do with who's on the card and whether or not they're a draw.

PPV buys, if there's enough data to get a rough apples-to-apples comparison would be more accurate. Or you could go by tv ratings during their specific fights, if you have access to that data.

Gate and Attendance figures are worthless without a ton of qualifiers.

I like your sig.

This will all change during the Woodley fight.

Ill bet Colby vs Woodley is Woodleys most bought PPV when it happens.

We'll see how Colby vs Woodley does. Then again I doubt Woodley fights on a card that isn't stacked with bigger names on it.

He's just getting started.

Lol seriously what the fuck

This is like saying Prince Naseem’s antics aren’t selling after his 10th pro fight.

Not saying Colby is that, but why the fuck are mma fans talking about the drawing power of people who aren’t even main eventing yet? That’s not how it works.

Back