A good counter against the cradle?

Kingbedlam

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Basically I'm rolling with this guy who puts me into the cradle everytime he enters side control, and I just cant stop it with my side control counters. Is there any way I can counter this before or while I'm in it?

Is he stalling? What is he doing once he gets the position

Is he stalling? What is he doing once he gets the position

He'll occasionally just keep me there, but typically he uses it to slide his knee into my belly to get into mount, or he'll do some cranking to get me to tap. It sucks because he'll sometimes do it while I'm shrimping, using my knee to block a mount while in side control, or when I'm slipping my knee shield between us when I'm trying to regain guard. It's just really frustrating to deal with.

Don't put your knees next to your head.

He'll occasionally just keep me there, but typically he uses it to slide his knee into my belly to get into mount, or he'll do some cranking to get me to tap. It sucks because he'll sometimes do it while I'm shrimping, using my knee to block a mount while in side control, or when I'm slipping my knee shield between us when I'm trying to regain guard. It's just really frustrating to deal with.
Learn side control escapes that don’t involve bringing your knee up to your face. There are plenty of them. Get the underhook and come up into a single/knee tap/ body lock. Ghost out into top front headlock and attack from there. The harpoon reversal. Bridge and hip over. Even going to turtle and reversing from there with a roll or sucker drag or whatever.

Every last one of the ones I mentioned do not score in IBJJF, though, so keep that in mind if that matters to you.

The biggest takeaway should be that your escapes and defenses all have a glaring common element that is easily exploitable by someone willing to use the proper weapon, so you should both learn escapes that have different, non-exploitable characteristics (for that same weapon anyway) and use them in combination with the escapes you already know to create unpredictable escape patterns that are much harder to prevent or punish.

Learn side control escapes that don’t involve bringing your knee up to your face. There are plenty of them. Get the underhook and come up into a single/knee tap/ body lock. Ghost out into top front headlock and attack from there. The harpoon reversal. Bridge and hip over. Even going to turtle and reversing from there with a roll or sucker drag or whatever.

Every last one of the ones I mentioned do not score in IBJJF, though, so keep that in mind if that matters to you.

The biggest takeaway should be that your escapes and defenses all have a glaring common element that is easily exploitable by someone willing to use the proper weapon, so you should both learn escapes that have different, non-exploitable characteristics (for that same weapon anyway) and use them in combination with the escapes you already know to create unpredictable escape patterns that are much harder to prevent or punish.

whats a sucker drag?

Back