A good delay pedal to use? why do you use it?

Jimmy Jazz

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I had a digitech delay and it was good for dirty kind of delays and not much else. What do you use and why?what type of music do you use? I'm trying to get poly rhythmic type delays and dirtier more fuzzy delays.

I use a TC Electronic Flashback. The main reason was that it was the cheapest way to achieve easy tap delay; just hold the pedal down and strum a few bars of the rhythm, and you're set. It's flexible enough, and has a built in chorus mode. I use it for all manner of guitar music but it really shines for surf-rock.

Original Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man.
Best pedal I've ever owned, new ones don't sound as good.
It has a metallic lo-fi delay sound reminiscent of David Gilmour's guitar solo in "Time".
With the level turned up it is also the best sounding overdrive/distortion/fuzz sound (once again think the sizzle in "Time"). I use it all the time in my signal chain as there is no true bypass so it always colors the sound. It always just seems to add this sparkle to everything no matter what level it's at or whether the delay is on or off. The delay is sort of a very analog clang.
Love it because it has such a unique voice.

I have the MXR Carbon Copy Delay, great pedal.

Was recommended too me.

11169000001.MAIN.jpg

They're a bit pricey, but I got it for a steal.

I use it all the time, really adds depth too your sound.

I still think the old boss DD units sounds awesome.

4 responses, 4 different answers. Guitar gear questions are like asking what the best color is.

I currently have a Earthquaker devices disaster transport junior and a dod pds 1002. The earthquaker has a very modern sound to it, it colors the tone of your guitar with a bit of reverb and this swirling effect if you turn the repeat knob up too much. The dod doesn't color your tone at all, it has several different modes you can use and it also has a 2 second looper on it. Overall the dod is better because it gives you more options and it cost about 70 dollars less.

Was recommended too me.

11169000001.MAIN.jpg

+100000 for this

I love this pedal too! I thought it was all hype but its really good.

Before I use the Boss DD3,

4 responses, 4 different answers. Guitar gear questions are like asking what the best color is.

The nice thing is, it's hard to go wrong. It's like asking what I want for dinner: Steak, seafood, burritos, fried chicken .... yeah there's gonna be some variance and some tastes, but it won't suck.

The nice thing is, it's hard to go wrong. It's like asking what I want for dinner: Steak, seafood, burritos, fried chicken .... yeah there's gonna be some variance and some tastes, but it won't suck.

exactly for some Solos I love the Analog delays but there are some songs I want the digital sound and wants a very pristine delay.

I should say I'm more a rhythm guitarist and I have lead guitar skills probably on par with Angus Young. Meaning I can get some bluesy pentatonic licks in there, but that's about it.

I also hate bending over mid-set and screwing with a pedal, which factored heavily into me getting the TC.

Was recommended too me.

11169000001.MAIN.jpg

is it more of psychedelic type delay or more polyrythmic type delays.

I want syncopated delays more so than long pink floydish type noisey delays. is the boss good for that?
I think the DD5 could do that. not sure about the others.

Used to use TC until a couple of units failed for no reason.
The only company I've ever used that's never failed me is Boss.
I'm using the DD-7 and love it. It's got great delays, you can use it to double yourself, slapback, widen the room, a little chorus-y, long trippy delays. There's a loop feature I don't use much but it's useful. My favorite feature is "reverse", where cranking the knob all the way gives you whatever you play backwards. I love that shit.

I am a delay addict some times it gets the solos so mudd thoug I feel suffocated if I dont crank the levels up.

Now I am curious what Multi FX unit got nice delays. Like what @Overpressure is saying with the Boss DD7s.

I am a delay addict some times it gets the solos so mudd thoug I feel suffocated if I dont crank the levels up.
Now I am curious what Multi FX unit got nice delays. Like what @Overpressure is saying with the Boss DD7s.

When am I going to see you onstage at the Cowboy Grill?

When am I going to see you onstage at the Cowboy Grill?

I need to get my shit together first hahaha.

And I need to come up with a more accessible repertoire the Manila crowd is no longer interested in Metal/Hardrock specially instrumental rock not to mention Prog Metal/Rock.

I might start on Hotel California and Dust in the wind throw in some David Pomerance in there!

Back