A headache is weakness leaving the brain

Got sick last Thursday, and did nothing for 4 days. Lost about 5 pounds, and feel really weak.

Did easy runs yesterday and this morning.

Lifts today:

Pullups: (BW + 10) 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
Squats: 5x5x135
Press: 3x5x115

Pullups: (BW + 15) 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
Deadlift: 5x135, 5x225, 5x225, 5x225
Bench: 5x135, 5x185, 5x185, 5x185

Pullups felt hard. Deadlifts felt easy. Bench was pretty close to failure - will probably stay at this weight for a couple more workouts.

Yesterday: Ran with a friend who is on week 2 of Couch to 5k. Made for a nice active recovery day.

Today: 5k run, slow pace. More mentally challenging than physical, primarily because of the 80% humidity.

Morning 2 mile run, just over 20 minutes. Still 80% humidity.

Evening lifts:
Pullups (BW + 20): 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
Squats: 6x5x145
Press: 3x5x120
Planks: 3x 1 minute

Pullups felt hard at the end. I don't think I'll be able to add 5 pounds per workout much longer. Squats felt easy, as expected. Press felt ok - hoping to be able to keep the linear progression going for another 4-5 workouts.

Morning run with a couple friends, using timing based on one friend who is doing Couch to 5K. Did hard runs for 90 seconds followed by 2 minute walks. Turned out to be a lot of fun, and not particularly draining. Humidity is down, which helps.

Morning: 2 mile run, slightly slower than normal pace, but HR was a bit elevated.

Yesterday:

Pullups (BW +25): 5, 5, 5, 4
Deadlifts: 5x135, 5x245, 5x245, 5x245
Bench: 5x135, 5x190, 5x190, 5x190
Planks

My elbows are really inflamed, and that's hurting the pullups. I'm going to take a week off and ice heavily to see if that helps. Deads felt fine. Bench felt pretty close to max, but was probably impacted by elbow pain.

Did a 3 minute session in cryogenic chamber this morning. I'm going to do 2 more sessions this weekend to see if that helps with some of the inflammation that I have going on in elbows and knees. Skipped pullups today since the elbows are really bothering me.

Shrugs: 7x5x225
Squats: 4x5x155
Front Squat: 4x155 (fail on 5th)
Press: 3x5x125

I'm not suggesting that shrugs are in any way a good sub for pullups, but I like doing them. The front squat set was actually done as the second squat set. I suck at front squats, clearly. I think my stance may have been too narrow, and I got stuck in the hole on the last rep. Press felt really close to failure.

Did my friend's C25k program as an interval workout. We had 6 running intervals. For the first two I really tried to concentrate on running ball-heel, but this caused me to keep a lot of tension in my feet and felt very unnatural. I'll probably continue to try this on some of the intervals, but I'm going to work my way up.

Going to get another cryochamber treatment later this morning.

4 mile run this morning, slow pace. Felt reasonably good throughout.

Cryo treatment yesterday was good, and doing another one today.

Lifts this evening:

Shrugs: 7x5x235
Deadlifts: 5x135, 5x245, 5x245, 5x245
Bench: 5x135, 5x195, 5x195, 5x195
Planks

Elbows still inflamed, so keeping away from my chinups for now. Deadlifts felt easy, Bench felt hard.

Morning interval runs
90 second run + 2 minute walk, repeated six times

Running pace was about 8 minute mile. Hamstring hurts.

2 mile run at a 10:00 pace. Felt pretty easy other than the final hill.

Did a couple sets of deadlifts yesterday at 255, but stopped after that since my rib injury is really bugging me.

Ran 5 miles today at a 12 minute pace with a slightly negative split. Felt fairly easy, and heart rate for the run reflected that.

Elbow tendonitis continues to be really bad. I thought they were doing better, but a single chin rep put my elbows in agony. Will try to lay off them for another couple of weeks.

Shrugs: 7x5x245
Squats: 5x5x165
Press: 4x130, 5x120, 5x120

The number of sets on the shrugs is somewhat arbitrary - it's how many sets I can get in while my training partner does his 5 sets of chins. Shrugs felt really easy.

We're continuing to focus on getting good depth and form on all the squat reps. This is still a really easy weight (though my legs felt it when we did intervals afterwards).

Failed on first set of press at 130. I missed the last press workout, so this isn't unexpected. Reset back to 120, will work up again, possibly adding more volume at 120 before increasing. I'm sure the shrugs didn't help the press.

After lifting, we did some running intervals (90 second run, 2 minute walk). Most of our runs were between 7 and 8 minute mile pace. My legs felt awful - we don't usually run after lifting, but because of the holiday we decided to knock both out together.

2 mile run, just over 19 minutes. We shaved about a minute from the last time.

Programming runs approximately as:
1 long slow run per week. Currently at 5 miles. We're trying to add a mile per week and cap at about 10 miles, then slowly try to improve on time.
2 interval sessions per week. We got into this when a friend was doing C25k, and now are using it to get some faster running in.
1 quality run per week. Right now we're doing 2 miles and trying to get these done as quickly as possible.
1 recovery run per week. Right now an easy 2 mile loop just to push blood through the legs. I don't care about time for this, and generally do this run on my own.

Slow intervals yesterday, primarily as an active recovery run.

10km run this morning. My running partner's HR was high, so we needed to slow down a lot in the second half. Ended up with a pace of just over 12 minute miles. We'll probably stay at this distance for our long runs until we can get this down to a 10 minute pace, then start adding mileage again.

Afternoon Lifts

A bunch of shrugging, at a not particularly heavy weight, with lots of holds. Again, doing this since I can't do chins until I get my tendonitis under control.
SLDL: 3x5x135
Press: 5x5x115

Press was intentionally a deload. Hadn't done SLDL in a while, and wanted to try these since my ribs are bugging me and I was concerned about doing heavy deads.

Morning intervals. 90 second run, 3 minute rest. Pretty happy with our speed on the first four, but we were hurting for the last two.

Evening Lifts:
Overhead Squats: 5x45, 5x65, 6x75
Shrugs: 3x5x225, 20 second hold
Squats: 2x5x185
Bench: 3x5x185

My rib is still ruining my lifts. It doesn't seem to affect deadlifts, but definitely impacts squats. Did the Overhead Squats today because of the thread necromancy today, and I hadn't done them in a while. Might try to add them back in, since they don't seem to aggravate the rib (though we aren't really doing them with much weight).

Back