Media A Johnathan Haggerty Retrospective vd

MLarson

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score

I know of him and seen clips of his fights, I need to watch full fights of fights of him, where does rank among the greats of Thai Boxing?

This may be a spicy opinion, but IMO he is the best Muay Thai fighter to come out of the UK. I am a huge fan of Liam Harrison, and he has fought countless legends of the sport, both farang and Thai (his best wins probably being Anuwat Kaewsamrit and Dzhabar Askerov) -- but Haggerty has beaten Sam-A and Nong-O. Personally, I felt like he beat Rodtang in their first fight as well (been a while since I watched it, so perhaps I am off base there). He doesn't have the experience and resume Harrison has, but I think he eclipses him in skill

This may be a spicy opinion, but IMO he is the best Muay Thai fighter to come out of the UK. I am a huge fan of Liam Harrison, and he has fought countless legends of the sport, both farang and Thai (his best wins probably being Anuwat Kaewsamrit and Dzhabar Askerov) -- but Haggerty has beaten Sam-A and Nong-O. Personally, I felt like he beat Rodtang in their first fight as well (been a while since I watched it, so perhaps I am off base there). He doesn't have the experience and resume Harrison has, but I think he eclipses him in skill

Your opinion isn't spicy, it's the truth.

How can he be up there with the best if he nearly got pwned by Lobo lmao .

But Haggerty is boh overrated and underrate. Hardcore muay thai fans hate him way too muc and can't see any of his skills because he chinned their favorite thai ATGs. Casual fans overrate him because they don't seem to remmeber that his best win (Nong O) nearly got KOd bya jab in the fight before Haggerty lel. That Russian guy who bats 0.500 record thumped him with a jab and NongO was doing the chicken dance. And they'll tell you Nong O was definitely for sure in his prime. Ok bro

But Haggerty passes eye test well enough. Any time hipsters hate on a guy that means I should watch him more closely because inevitably they'll be proven wrong hehe

Last edited:
Haggerty is pretty awesome, but keep in mind he is awesome within a uncommon variant of MT. Wouldnt be surprised to see him lose to a mid-level guy in a setting that doesnt heavily favor muay mats in every possible way.

How can he be up there with the best if he nearly got pwned by Lobo lmao .

But Haggerty is boh overrated and underrate. Hardcore muay thai fans hate him way too muc and can't see any of his skills because he chinned their favorite thai ATGs. Casual fans overrate him because they don't seem to remmeber that his best win (Nong O) nearly got KOd bya jab in the fight before Haggerty lel. That Russian guy who bats 0.500 record thumped him with a jab and NongO was doing the chicken dance. And they'll tell you Nong O was definitely for sure in his prime. Ok bro

But Haggerty passes eye test well enough. Any time hipsters hate on a guy that means I should watch him more closely because inevitably they'll be proven wrong hehe
If Haggerty was Romanian you'd say he's the next best thing after god.

Sam-a was like 36 and had come out of retirement and his best weight where he won most of his titles in thailand stadiums was 122 -126. A weight he was still making in his late 20's and early 30's. A big deal was made when he went up and fought kongsak at 130 in the stadiums. Most thought he was too small for 130. It was a draw. Nong-o was 37, his best weight is 135 and below and had also come out of retirement. Nong-o and Sam-a both had over 400 fights. And they both retired for a reason.
Lets see how haggerty does when he is 37, over 400 fights in, coming of a retirement and fighting some young thai killer who is 155 pounds or more.
Im not saying he is not a good fighter. He is but favourable matchmaking and conditions have some people thinking he is better than he is.
If haggerty had beaten rodtang twice would they even be talking about doin another fight.

If Haggerty was Romanian you'd say he's the next best thing after god.
I don't even dislike Haggerty that much. He getting the UK push. But I can't say he's top yet, we need to wait and see. Haggerty still has plenty of prime years left.

With ONE fans' logic let's go on the hype train for Zhao Chongayng then! He beat the crap out of old Mongkolpetch too! Also knocked out Ilias Ennahachi in 30 seconds, and obviously emnahachi is really really elite because he was champ in ONE.
But we know how good Zho is in reality.

I don't even dislike Haggerty that much. He getting the UK push. But I can't say he's top yet, we need to wait and see. Haggerty still has plenty of prime years left.

With ONE fans' logic let's go on the hype train for Zhao Chongayng then! He beat the crap out of old Mongkolpetch too! Also knocked out Ilias Ennahachi in 30 seconds, and obviously emnahachi is really really elite because he was champ in ONE.
But we know how good Zho is in reality.

You say he's getting the UK push but which farangs do you think would beat him in his weight class? Jimmy Vienot maybe and maybe Carillo but those fights would still be competitive and 50/50.

Haggerty is pretty awesome, but keep in mind he is awesome within a uncommon variant of MT. Wouldnt be surprised to see him lose to a mid-level guy in a setting that doesnt heavily favor muay mats in every possible way.

Thing is One FC is the highest paying MT org, where else would he be fighting without taking a massive cut in pay and exposure?

You say he's getting the UK push but which farangs do you think would beat him in his weight class? Jimmy Vienot maybe and maybe Carillo but those fights would still be competitive and 50/50.
Well Kuzmin arguably beat him. Haggerty could probably win in rematch I guess if he doesn't miss weight like a dumbass
I was ging to say Chadd Collins too but his chin just got cracked. So now Miguel Trinidade. way bigger and explosive than Lobo.

Last edited:
Him and nico isn't even close to a 50/50 fight imo. Nico smashes him and he knows it.

Sorry forgot to say size is the main reason it isn't a 50/50 fight.

Thing is One FC is the highest paying MT org, where else would he be fighting without taking a massive cut in pay and exposure?
I definitely dont blame him for chasing money and exposure. I do wish he would develop his style to be a bit more well rounded though.

I definitely dont blame him for chasing money and exposure. I do wish he would develop his style to be a bit more well rounded though.

I think he's quite well rounded actually, other than perhaps his clinch work. He makes good use of his hands, elbows and kicks. In the Lobo fight he got into a bit of a punch war especially after getting knocked down but he's been a bit more varied in technique in his other fights. What do you feel he's not well rounded enough with?

Him and nico isn't even close to a 50/50 fight imo. Nico smashes him and he knows it.

Carrillo hasn't really fought anyone his size who are high level and still in their prime yet. I think an Haggerty fight could be a lot closer than people think. And I say that as someone who's been following and supporting Carrillo for several years now. I don't think it would be a one way traffic and I think it's a great match-up that I'd like to see, especially now that Haggery has been focusing and improving his hands more :)

I think he's quite well rounded actually, other than perhaps his clinch work. He makes good use of his hands, elbows and kicks. In the Lobo fight he got into a bit of a punch war especially after getting knocked down but he's been a bit more varied in technique in his other fights. What do you feel he's not well rounded enough with?
It could be a recency bias thing but his last 3 fights he was very hands-heavy in his attacks. I've seen him look well rounded in the past but its been a while.

It could be a recency bias thing but his last 3 fights he was very hands-heavy in his attacks. I've seen him look well rounded in the past but its been a while.

I guess it probably also depends on who he's fighting and their style, but considering he's successful with his hands and finished his last 3 fights with them, perhaps that's the reason he keeps being a muay mat.

Back