A link between parents’ earnings, gender roles, mental health?

WhitebeltXL

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
https://news.illinois.edu/blog/view/6367/542579

New research by human development and family studies professor Karen Kramer and doctoral researcher Sunjin Pak found that men’s and women’s psychological well-being is affected differently when their wages and share of their family’s income changes.

Researchers Karen Kramer and Sunjin Pak found that when women’s paychecks increased to compose the majority of their families’ income, these women reported more symptoms of depression.

However, Kramer and Pak found the opposite effect in men: Dads’ psychological well-being improved over time when they became the primary wage-earners for their families.

Kramer and Pak found that although women’s psychological well-being was not affected by exiting the workforce to become stay-at-home moms, men’s mental health declined when they stayed home to care for the kids.

Women in the study who viewed themselves and their spouses as equally responsible for financially supporting their families and caring for their homes and offspring experienced better mental health when their wages and share of the family’s income increased.

However, regardless of their beliefs, men’s mental health took a hit when their earnings as a proportion of the family income shrank – suggesting perhaps that “work identity and (the) traditional role of primary earner are still critical for men, even when they have more egalitarian gender ideology,” the researchers wrote.

Apologies if a thread has already been made regarding this.

It's interesting to note that the majority of the subjects in the paper were born between 1957 and 1965, do you think these results would be similar for recent generations? Or would even greater freedom and equality in career choice/earnings decreased the level of depression for Women in the workplace?

I've seen many articles over the last few years correlate Women's equality/rise of Feminism to higher and higher levels of depression and dissatisfaction. Has the Feminist push for further "equality" actually hurt the level of happiness and satisfaction that Women have?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/may/18/womens-rights-happiness-wellbeing-gender-gap

The “paradox of declining female happiness” was pointed out by economists Betsey Stevenson and Justin Wolfers, who also happen to share a house and kids. They analyzed the happiness trends of US citizens between 1970 and 2005 and found a surprising result.

Stevenson and Wolfers discovered that American women rated their overall life satisfaction higher than men in the 1970s. Thereafter, women’s happiness scores decreased while men’s scores stayed roughly stable. By the 1990s, women were less happy than men. This relative unhappiness softened after the turn of the century, but men continue to enjoy a higher sense of subjective wellbeing that is at least as high — if not higher — than women’s.

I've long believed the radical Feminist push for "true equality" has sought to bypass natural biological gender roles and in turn Women have become depressed and dissatisfied, trying to compete with men in the workplace.

Is Feminism failing Women? Should we accept there are biological differences between Men and Women, and those differences should be celebrated, rather than shunned?

Interesting study but no, women should not be barefoot and pregnant. Just because this study shows high earning women have a higher likelihood of depression symptoms doesn't mean they should stop earning more. It means we need to figure out WHY they are at risk for depression and attack the problem there.

II have some theories as to why. Less time with children and misogyny in the workplace. Of course women have a biological need to spend time with the children but it just means the man needs to step it up at home if his wife is earning a good living.

My wife earns more than twice what I earn (closer to 3x) and we both love it. I help out more at home with driving the kids around and picking them up, scheduling and handling play dates, making dinner and I could care less. I don't have some macho man persona that doesn't allow me to appreciate what my wife does.

Interesting study but no, women should not be barefoot and pregnant. Just because this study shows high earning women have a higher likelihood of depression symptoms doesn't mean they should stop earning more. It means we need to figure out WHY they are at risk for depression and attack the problem there.

II have some theories as to why. Less time with children and misogyny in the workplace. Of course women have a biological need to spend time with the children but it just means the man needs to step it up at home if his wife is earning a good living.

I don't think anyone (worth listening to) wants Women pregnant and barefoot. No one is suggesting that.

But I do believe the narrative of "you can do everything a man can do" is a factor in the declining level of happiness of Women, as well as skewed statistics behind things such as Gender pay gap and university rape statistics.

Imagine being a woman and being told that if you work the same job as a man you'll be paid less because you're a woman? Or that you have a decent probability of being raped if you go to university/higher education?

These are common Feminist talking points that are hurting Women, that's not to say that Women shouldn't be allowed to be more career driven should they wish.

traditional husband/wife and father/mother roles are good for society. If you start messing with that like the left and the feminist movement has done, you start seeing more problems.

traditional husband/wife and father/mother roles are good for society. If you start messing with that like the left and the feminist movement has done, you start seeing more problems.

Barefoot and pregnant eh? You are not worth listening to

I don't think anyone (worth listening to) wants Women pregnant and barefoot. No one is suggesting that.

But I do believe the narrative of "you can do everything a man can do" is a factor in the declining level of happiness of Women, as well as skewed statistics behind things such as Gender pay gap and university rape statistics.

Imagine being a woman and being told that if you work the same job as a man you'll be paid less because you're a woman? Or that you have a decent probability of being raped if you go to university/higher education?

These are common Feminist talking points that are hurting Women, that's not to say that Women shouldn't be allowed to be more career driven should they wish.

You liked the ridiculous post by ripskater... Why?

Barefoot and pregnant eh? You are not worth listening to

Where did Rip say that?

Traditional Mother/Father roles doesn't equal "Barefoot and Pregnant" but thanks for playing.

The feminist lie was to tell women that they needed a career. Some women are victims of that. They instinctively wanted to be in the home more than they are/were and raise their young children. Women have written about this. Some of them fought their instincts and their natural desire but they pursued career as the most important thing. And it's left some of these women empty and depressed.

Obviously every woman is different.

It's 2017 and we are still debating about a womens place. Her place is wherever she wants it to be. It really isn't that hard. We are equal in many ways and not equal in many other ways, just like some men are stronger and more physically fit than others and some are much smarter than others. People should enter into roles that suit them regardless of what christian white men say

The feminist lie was to tell women that they needed a career. Some women are victims of that. They instinctively wanted to be in the home more than they are/were and raise their young children. Women have written about this. Some of them fought their instincts and their natural desire but they pursued career as the most important thing. And it's left some of these women empty and depressed.

Obviously every woman is different.

This guy says "some". How about the "some" men who are empty and depressed rip?

Women are more capable of running things then men, that is for sure. Look at our political landscape, run by men. Put women in charge and things will change drastically for the better.

It's 2017 and we are still debating about a womens place. Her place is wherever she wants it to be. It really isn't that hard. We are equal in many ways and not equal in many other ways, just like some men are stronger and more physically fit than others and some are much smarter than others. People should enter into roles that suit them regardless of what christian white men say

The only people telling women where their place is are Radical Feminists who are pushing for women to be represented in all work roles, even ones they aren't suited for.

Feminism should be about choice, but over the last few years, the idea of the stay at home mother has been demonised as something to be ashamed of. That is shaming women into becoming career focused, even if it is detrimental to them.

Last edited:
Don't discard traditional husband/wife roles. They are there for a reason. Because it tends to work out better that way for most people.

I had a customer who was an MD. She quit working to raise her kids. I asked her about it one time and she said she wanted to stay home because in her medical experience, when the men stayed home and took care of the home, the marriages didn't tend to end up as well.

The only people telling women where their place is, are Radical Feminists who are pushing for women to be represented in all work roles, even ones they aren't suited for.

Feminism should be about choice, but over the last few years, the idea of the stay at home mother has been demonised as something to be ashamed of. That is shaming women into becoming career focused, even if it is detrimental to them.

lol... Man some of you guys are just so far off it's ridiculous. Women are taking on careers because today one income isn't enough in many circumstances. More women are graduating college than ever before (which is a good thing). Nobody demonizes stay at home mothers, where i live about 1/2 the mothers stay at home and nobody is giving them any problems.

This is almost like a made up story. What are a couple roles in your opinion that women take on that they are not suited for? This outta be good

Don't discard traditional husband/wife roles. They are there for a reason. Because it tends to work out better that way for most people.

I had a customer who was an MD. She quit working to raise her kids. I asked her about it one time and she said she wanted to stay home because in her medical experience, when the men stayed home and took care of the home, the marriages didn't tend to end up as well.

More anecdotes from this guy. Worthless poster

Women are more capable of running things then men, that is for sure. Look at our political landscape, run by men. Put women in charge and things will change drastically for the better.

I don't see any evidence for that, Western Europe have a lot of prominent Female politicians (Merkel, May etc.,) and they're not significantly better than the United States' male equivalents?

Maybe SOME Women are better at running things than SOME men, or vice versa. Certainly not enough to make a bold generalisation.

what do you mean zebby?

You constantly generalize and say, "Some women" or "Some people say". You said, "Some of them fought their instincts and their natural desire, but they pursued career as the most important thing"

Well what about the men rip? What about the "Some men who fought their instincts and went out to work"? When you say, "Some people" it means you have no evidence and it is your way of basically typing any nonsense you want.

You constantly generalize and say, "Some women" or "Some people say". You said, "Some of them fought their instincts and their natural desire, but they pursued career as the most important thing"

Well what about the men rip? What about the "Some men who fought their instincts and went out to work"? When you say, "Some people" it means you have no evidence and it is your way of basically typing any nonsense you want.
Well I know you will disagree with this but it is a man's job to provide for his family. If that is taken from him, or if he is unable to do it, or if he refuses to do it, he often struggles because of that.

And this study backs that up.

Back