A log by MIDMO

MIDMOBOX

Telling People things they don't want to know
@Black
Reaction score
I have spent the last several days thinking about what to name this log or whether I should even keep a public log. I've found that a cool name for your log is probably the most important thing to keeping a log(check). Something catchy that makes people want to read. What you actually do is probably third or fourth in importantance behind the name of course, how many people post in it, and maybe how much you can lift when you start.

Well I'm going stick with convential wisdom here and give my log a catchy name, but am I not going to post in it everyday, I will probably lie about how much I'm benching just because this is the interent and I can. Maybe some people will post here offering curses and a little support.

Since not everyone who reads this will know anything about me let me first say I am super good looking and rich(this is for the ladies) I work crazy hours and may in fact be a little off myself.

I set out last August to become stronger. With good intentions in hand I headed off to the gym and quickly realized I actually know little about strength trianing. I also know very little about a lot of other things as well, which I think we will discover as this log goes along.

Back in August after reading a whole lot of logs here on Sherdog I decided the first thing I should do is set some short and long term goals. So I set these goals. I'm not really sure why I picked these but here they are.

Bench my weight for sets(at that time 215lb ish)
Be able to DB press 100lb DB x3
Reduce my bodyfat to 15% or below(at the time 23%)

By October I realized what I was doing(random weightlifting and cardio) wasn't doing anything for me. So I started to look into a Starting Strength type program.

So I re-did my short goals to met some new challenges and broke them down into both short term(3 to 4 months) and long term(1 year)

The short term goals were

Combined Big Three of 650lbs(DL, Bench and Squat)
315 Deadlift
275 Squat
245 Bench(numbers picked at random to be honest I just thought they sounded good)

Long term
Combined Big Three of 900lbs
405 Deadlift
315 Squat
275 Bench or 225 x 10(these goals were also picked at random and also cause their even plate numbers)

So much for how I started. Later the first several months.......

Goals as of 08/23/09
Bench 275
Dead 405
Squat 345
PC/Press 185
DB PC/Press 100
Bodyfat 12%

With a long term goal of 1100.

Goals 2010

Bench 315
Squat 405
Dead 495
year end total 1200
clean and press/jerk/snatch a 100lb DB
clean and press 185

Goals 2011
Bodyweight 240+ at <15% BF
1200 total

Current PRs
Deadlift
1 x 405 (03/02/10)
1 x 425 (11/10)
1x 445 (05/24/11)
1x 455 (06/27/11)
3 x 405 (5/15/11)
3 x 415 (5/20/11)

Squat
1 x 365 (09/13/10)
1 x 375 (11/10)
1 x 380 (06/22/11)
1 x 385 (07/12/11) open belt
1 x 405 (10/07/11)belt/wraps
2 x 335 (08/27/10)

bench
1 x 285 (03/06/10)
1 x 290 (11/10)
1 x 300 (06/11)
1 x 315 (06/21/11)
10 x 225 (05/11)

Clean
1 x 175 (02/10)

Press
SOHP
3 x 160 (08/03/10)
1 x 170 (08/26/10)
OHP
1 x 185 (06/18/10)
1 x 195 (11/10)

Warming Up to PRs added for own benifit

20 tips to improve your grappling game

prelipins-chart.jpg

Goals 2010

Bench 315
Squat 405
Dead 495
year end total 1200
clean and press/jerk/snatch a 100lb DB
clean and press 185

Last edited:
Well I made alot of mistakes those first couple of months between October and Febuary/March. The first major mistake I made is I never actaully found out how weak I was to start. I don't know if I was scared to know or just to lazy to go get the numbers. I like to tell myself that I just wanted to start seeing results so getting a max single was a waste of a day. I started by guessing at my weights and doing what felt heavy for 5 reps. The next time I would add a little weight until I couldn't lift it anymore. Then I would backtrack(rinse repeat) I wasted a whole lot of time doing this. I did know what my bench was though, because bench is the only true test of strength. It was 185 for a single(sad I know). For refernce:

I remeber some deadlift failures just over the 225 mark, which were due to grip strength more than any thing else. This lead me to understand how weak my grip was as well(grip training later). I remeber the first time I actually squatted 225 for 3 times, you thought I had just lifted a car, it felt that ungodly heavy. I struggled through the first several months although I had to stop deadlifting in there for a little over a 1 1/2 due to a pinched nerve in my back from JJ. Yes I also do UFC fighting. Well at least the parts of it, I do JJ and box/kickbox but have never claimed to know anything about wrestling. I'm no longer a competive fighter but I still enjoy the training.

Which is most of the reason I started this in the first place. I do JJ in two differnt places on a regular basis. One is locally with a MMA training group and the other is what I will refer to as my home school. THe MMA group is all amateurs but most train 5-6 days a week with full conditioning and strength programs. The home school is made up of recrecational player and competive Judoka and submission grapplers. I realized last year that most of the guys I was grappling with were becoming harder to deal with. It wasn't their techincal ablilities but their pacing and strength that was increasing by leaps and bounds. And I was getting owned on occasion or worse yet just suriving my training. Getting owned I could blame on luck, being dominate I didn't deal with well. Well anyone can tell you when your getting beat up in pratice all night long and struggling to stay ahead of people, training ceases being fun and becomes work.

If you can't tell this log will jump all over the place depending on what I'm thinking about at the time..............

OK so now we've gone back to early 2008 with me getting my ass handed to me every night at the MMA gym. ANd we covered the goals I set when I went to a modified SS program in late 2008/early 2009. I guess I'll talk about how stupid those goals were and how I need new ones now. I realized that by picking a set of numbers that had nothing to do with my orginal goal to be stronger in the MMA gym I had already probably destoryed any chance for success, then I thought maybe I would just screw JJ since it wasn't being fun anymore and take up powerlifting. Then I realized that I lack any real motivation/ability to do that either. Could I pursue both my 900 combined and functional JJ strength. Time would tell.

My first clue that I could do both came in the MMA gym one night. It was actually sort of a break through. I hadn't noticed up to that point any real gains as far as the strength training influencing my JJ.

It was wrestling night and the drill was standing takedowns then back to the feet repeat as many times as possible in the time allowed. I was odd man out and drew the gym owner, a 170lb monster, his techinque is OK but his power and strength is awe inspiring. As we locked up and I dug for the underhooks, I saw a strange look on his face, one I had never seen before. A true look of "oh shit" I'm in trouble.

I stayed with the underhooks and dropped for the single, got stuffed and dug back to standing keeping my underhooks. I pushed to the wall and I stalled out as my no-gi take down game is horrible. He tried to push off but just couldn't get it done. I controled him in the clench for the rest of the round. At the end I actually hit a double to finish the round.

He stopped between rounds, pulled me off to the side and asked me what I was "on". I smiled back and said nothing. I don't lift at his place nor had I dicussed it with him. I really believe that he totally expected to just pick me up and toss me on my ass and probably still thinks I'm on some super secert drug invented to treat Apes with ED. Did I fail to mention he takes losing in gym personally so this was double sweet.

So back to my focus during my first several months, I guess its time to actually talk about what I'm doing and how I'm doing it. Like I said I'm doing a modified SS or 5x5 program. My primary lifts are one day Squat and Bench, and since I only have two days to lift the other day is Deadlift and SOHP/BOR. I try to do an assistance lift for the squat and DL each time I'm in th e gym and do an assistance for Bench when I have time. I do not do an assistance for SOHP since for me it is mostly an assitance lift itself for my bench and sholder stability.

I know this thought process has issues but its where I was during the last several months. Oh and I do curls I do curls out the ying yang, because curls are right behind bench in true feats of strength. This is on top of JJ, MMA and boxing. I do not currently do any seperate conditioning other than warm ups for lifts and sparring.

Back to things I've noticed since starting this program. I had to mow my yard a couple weeks ago. Now as anyone who has owned a lawn mower knows the first time you get it out after winter they are a bitch to start. Well I filled the gas tank, pushed the primer and ripped the cord. Now I say rip the cord I mean it, I have never pull started a mower with such ease. I credit my strength work and also the lawnmower fairies who are in charge of small engine maintance. I know that this doesn't sound like much but it was a tanigable benifit to what I was doing in the gym...........

Too long/ didn't read.

This log is almost as much reading as Ath-ah-lete's.

Well I can't disagree, I have to tell the back story to how I got to where I am or nothing I say later will make sense. I promise it will get shorter.

well I think we should start to get back to the present. And since I was talking about results I've had I think we should go head and revisit by goals

IF you remember my first set was this

Bench my weight for sets(at that time 215lb ish)
Be able to DB press 100lb DB x3
Reduce my bodyfat to 15% or below(at the time 23%)

The bench my body weight for reps fell in April
I have yet to attempt the DB press x 3
and my current BF% is just over 15% a drop of 8% since this began and almost 5% in the last five months

The second set of short term goals were(after I started SSish training)

Combined Big Three of 650lbs(DL, Bench and Squat) Fell in early April
315 Deadlift (fell in early april)
275 Squat (fell in early April)
245 Bench (fell in early March)

Long term
Combined Big Three of 900lbs (still short)
405 Deadlift (not yet)
315 Squat (hit a triple x 2) at 295 Friday so its almost fallen)
275 Bench or 225 x 10(have not tried either of these nor do I think I can)

OK for the lamest first work out post in history

May 23rd Grip

20lb Blob carry x 4 to failure each hand

Levering(I can only find my 14lb sledge so I have to choke up quite a bit)
Front to back
3 x 8 per side

OK for the lamest first work out post in history

May 23rd Grip

20lb Blob carry x 4 to failure each hand

Levering(I can only find my 14lb sledge so I have to choke up quite a bit)
Front to back
3 x 8 per side

That was, in fact, the lamest first work out post in history.

Thank you I try.

I was going to post friday's work out but other than my ass hurts now from it and I did deads/sohp/BOR I can't remember much. But it was epic

May 24th

Home work out

Hang Cleans
105 x 3
120 x 3
135 x 3
120 x 3
105 x 3 x 4

Curls(good old 21s)
50lb

Tricep Extensions
5 plates(unk weight) x 8
6 plates x 6 x 2
6 plates x 8

100 Pushups

Some weeks I only get to my gym gym every 5 days, so on those weeks on the middle day I do something at home. I just like to get something that isn't incrediably taxing in. I was doing a barbell complexes but recently switched to straight Cleans since its a lift I have never done. I have noticed that there is a dif between what the ease of the lift with an olympic bar and my at home 1" bar.

I like cleans but my wrists are so dodgy, it hurts if I do them wrong without wraps. :(

This reminds me I need to incorporate some tricep work for my elbow tear. Ta.

~Foz

Back