A Mini-Breakdown of Mini-Mendes's KO of Miles Jury. It's called SHIFTING

I read half before I figured out that you’re boxingislife.

GM_20170919_215755.gif

Conor then meets Floyd's left with a counter left and the collision rocks Floyd

LOL ...yes, Floyd was absolutely 'rocked' by that arm punch. Throwing shitty arm punches so your opponent can't read them (also putting a little extra mileage on your 8 minute gas tank) = Next level!!!

Aldo tried that against Conor

13-sec-ko.gif

Completely different footwork.

When Aldo throws the hook his feet are together, taking power and speed off his punch, reducing his range (because he can't step with the punch) and leaving him completely off balance and in a horrible position to take a punch.

Mendes stays low, moves his head OFF THE CENTER LINE, bends his knees and puts power and proper range into the left hook by being in a well balanced strong stance which allows him to step into his punch.

Watch Aldo's head in the gif, he moves forward in a straight line. It cost him.

Let’s use 40 year old Anderson as an example and ignore the reign of terror and completely unmatched dominance that was him at his prime.

Well done anti-logic.
Then use the Weidman fight.

It's no coincidence that Anderson started getting badly exposed once he finally started fighting disciplined strikers like Weidman and Bisping who fought behind their jabs and fiented well.

Anderson was a very rudimentary counter striker who was easily offset with fients.

He made a living countering face first brawlers

No matter which way you want to cut it, Anderson was never on Conor's level, and I can prove that with facts

Unlike Anderson who shut down when others did not lead, I can show you Conor's many many advanced forms of set ups and misdirections to create his own countering opportunities etc. The fact that Conor has a sophisticated leadhand game with sophisticated fienting systems etc (all of which Anderson never came close to having)

My name is pro-logic, and people who actually know striking, know I'm sticking closely to what I named myself

Your ignorance, or any one else's ignorance, is not my issue. But hopefully they are genuine people out there who take the time to read, learn, and enjoy it. If it's just 1 person it will still make me happy. I only want to bring education and good discussion here
The moment I see the name @PROlogic I know it's going to be a shit thread
And this is the sad state we are in now. Where actual technical analysis and education is now "shit"

Last edited:

It's no coincidence that Anderson started getting badly exposed once he finally started fighting disciplined strikers like Weidman and Bisping who fought behind their jabs and fiented well.

Anderson was a very rudimentary counter striker who was easily offset with fients.

No matter which way you want to cut it, Anderson was never on Conor's level, and I can prove that with facts

I can show you Conor's many more advanced forms of set ups to create his countering opportunities etc. The fact that Conor has a sophisticated leadhand game with sophisticated fienting systems etc

My name is pro-logic, and people who actually know striking, know I'm sticking closely to what I named myself

Your ignorance, or any one else's ignorance, is not my issue. But hopefully they are genuine people out there who take the time to read, learn, and enjoy it. If it's just 1 person it will still make me happy. I only want to bring education and good discussion here

And this is the sad state we are in now. Where actual technical analysis and education is now "shit"
Lol right

Unlike Anderson who shut down when others did not lead, I can show you Conor's many many advanced forms of set ups to create his own countering opportunities etc. The fact that Conor has a sophisticated leadhand game with sophisticated fienting systems etc

Don't let the haters bring you down.

Threads like this with technical analysis which can lead to meaningful discussion are the reason I sift through all the bullshit and drama on this site.

Completely different footwork.

When Aldo throws the hook his feet are together, taking power and speed off his punch, reducing his range (because he can't step with the punch) and leaving him completely off balance and in a horrible position to take a punch.

Mendes stays low, moves his head OFF THE CENTER LINE, bends his knees and puts power and proper range into the left hook by being in a well balanced strong stance which allows him to step into his punch.

Watch Aldo's head in the gif, he moves forward in a straight line. It cost him.
For one, Aldo sold the fient to the body better then Mendes did IMO, and for sure he had less of a delay from fient to left hook up top, compared to Mendes.

Also pay closer attention to Conor vs Aldo

Aldo actually had the outside angle on Conor

Aldo actually had the advantage on Conor

But Conor is such a next level defensive based counter punching wizard that he still counter fucked Aldo from the inside angle. Simply readjusted his feet to line up the left and like lightning on the button.

That's just being on another level. Whether you like or hate Conor, you can't deny his impeccable boxing skill and counter punching skill

Let's say If you put Conor in Jury's position, Conor counters Mendes or entirely avoids that left hook.

This was Conor at his worst fighting on short notice and still completely countering and shutting down Mendes's explosive level changing fients to strike sequences

As soon as Mendes level changes there's the counter left from Conor. You cant beat Conor's super computer rendering software, download speeds, and cat like speed/reactions

Conor then changing head slots to avoid the uppercut, parrying shots, ducking shots, then countering to the body as he comes up from his bend.

The truth is Conor is simply operating on another galaxy compared to everyone else in MMA

But Mendes did great with his KO of Jury. Something has to really grab my attention for me to do a breakdown of it. So that shows how good that KO was.

Last edited:
For one, Aldo sold the fient to the body better then Mendes did, and he had less of a delay from fient to left hook up top, compared to Mendes.

But Conor is such a next level defensive based counter punching wizard that he still counter fucked Aldo from the inside angle. Simply readjusted his feet to line up the left and like lightning on the button.

That's just being on another level. Whether you like or hate Conor, you can't deny his impeccable boxing skill and counter punching skill

I really dont know what point you are trying to make or argue? Aldo>>Mendes. If you put Conor in Jury's position, Conor counters Mendes or entirely avoids that left hook.

This was Conor at his worst fighting on short notice and still completely countering and shutting down Mendes's explosive level changing fients to strikes sequences
[
As soon as Mendes level changes there's the counter left from Conor

And Conor changing head slots to avoid the uppercut, parrying shots, ducking shots, then countering to the body as he comes up from his duck

People really do try their hardest to deny that Conor is simply operating on another galaxy compared to everyone else in MMA

Mendes did great with his KO of Jury. Something has to really grab my attention for me to do a breakdown of it. So that shows how good that KO was. But no one is on Conor's level.

Conor being a tremendous striker doesn't change the fact that Aldo came straight forward with his head on the center line and threw a hook with his feet together. You can't deny these glaring technical faults.

Mendes moved his head side to side, making him much harder to hit, Aldo didn't. Mendes also wasn't facing Conor but I'm doubtful Conor would have clipped him throwing the combo the way he did due to Chad's excellent lateral movement.

Conor caught Chad when he was gassed and stationary, Chad hit him with pretty solid shots before he gassed.

You can be a Conor fan and still give Mendes credit for being a solid technical boxer, especially for a guy who is consistently shorter than his opponents and at a reach disadvantage.

For one, Aldo sold the fient to the body better then Mendes did IMO, and for sure he had less of a delay from fient to left hook up top, compared to Mendes.

Let's say If you put Conor in Jury's position, Conor counters Mendes or entirely avoids that left hook.

This was Conor at his worst fighting on short notice and still completely countering and shutting down Mendes's explosive level changing fients to strikes sequences

As soon as Mendes level changes there's the counter left from Conor. You cant beat Conor's super computer rendering software, download speeds, and cat like reactions

And Conor changing head slots to avoid the uppercut, parrying shots, ducking shots, then countering to the body as he comes up from his bend.

The truth is Conor is simply operating on another galaxy compared to everyone else in MMA

But Mendes did great with his KO of Jury. Something has to really grab my attention for me to do a breakdown of it. So that shows how good that KO was.

Aldo's attempt was bad technique for reasons already pointed out. Aldo's feet were too close, head was stationary, no bend in his legs for power, and Mendes being the wrestler dipping down adds to the feint. On top of all of that the timing in which Aldo used the technique was bad he never put the fear of well anything in McGregor's mind and he did it right away praying it would work like an amateur.

Also, Conor didn't take the fight on short notice he accepted a late notice replacement. Big difference deserves a lot of props.

I know on YT there is a popular video credited to GGG bringing back the ' lost art of shifting'. It is a staple of the Cuban boxing system however. The ammy programs in eastern Europe were much later in amalgamating it into their systems. Dmitri pirog was a much better exponent of it than GGG IMO. Well worth looking at tape/HL's of him.

Great use of the word “facts” and “prove”.

I hate to see people online associate them with their opinion or abstractions.

“Pro logic”.

5036712D-6C2B-4E2E-B7BF-5EDBF99D51AE.gif

Also, the second part I read is one of my favorite things I’ve seen on Sherdog.

“People who actually know striking (yes, literally all of them) know my name makes sense.”

That was gold. Don’t change for anyone man, including me. And never let the facts interfere with your feelings for Conor.

Last edited:
Conor being a tremendous striker doesn't change the fact that Aldo came straight forward with his head on the center line and threw a hook with his feet together. You can't deny these glaring technical faults. Mendes moved his head side to side, making him much harder to hit, Aldo didn't. Mendes also wasn't facing Conor but I'm doubtful Conor would have clipped him throwing the combo the way he did due to Chad's excellent lateral movement

34h9is7.gif

No "glaring faults." His only issue was that he was fighting a counter punching wizard in Conor.

Look how Aldo drops his weight to his left as he really sells that right to the body and builds the torque for his left hook

That was picture perfect technique

(He sold the fient to the body better then Mendes did)

Andre Ward ustiles the same combo against southpaws

Fent the right to the body, left hook up top is a classic text book combo vs southpaws

Aldo lead with a textbook effective combo against southpaws.

Aldo even had the outside angle on Conor.

Did you know Aldo stepped to the outside angle with his lead foot and had outside foot dominance on Conor?

That's a textbook advantageous position

Conor still counter fucked Aldo from the inside angle

He re-asjusted his feet to line up the left and ba bam. Pure brilliance

You aren't giving Conor the credit for that masterful counter KO

Let's not forget Mendes was facing Miles Jury. Conor absolutely would've countered Mendes in that same situation , like he already did..repeatedly.. years ago while a much lesser version of himself, against Mendes's same kind of explosive level changes/fients to strikes up top sequences etc

jeff7b9 said:
Conor caught Chad when he was gassed and stationary, Chad hit him with pretty solid shots before he gassed.

Mendes landed nothing of any note against Conor on the feet. I encourage you to re-watch in slowmo: ) The shots you originally thought landed (due to Rogan's biased commentary) actually were bounced off Conor's shoulders/deflected etc

You are making it seem as if Mendes was winning on the feet until he gassed. It was Conor who gassed Mendes with body work. Conor was tooling Mendes on the feet.

jeff7b9 said:
You can be a Conor fan and still give Mendes credit for being a solid technical boxer, especially for a guy who is consistently shorter than his opponents and at a reach disadvantage.

Mendes is amazing. He's the only elite wrestler who developed legit striking (plus submissions)

Mendes is a little tank.

To be fair, being low as it's advantages too. For example, lower center of gravity to more easily level change and come up with hooks over the taller opponents strikes etc.

Everything has its pros and cons. It's about the individual fighter and how well they utilise what they have etc

No denying Mendes is a legit great fighter. Im glad Mendes is back. Mendes has only ever lost to GOATS (Aldo and Conor) and only Conor ever made Mendes look like a joke on the feet. That's just down to Conor being a next level matrix master

I personally believe Mendes is a nightmare match up for Holloway

I know on YT there is a popular video credited to GGG bringing back the ' lost art of shifting'. It is a staple of the Cuban boxing system however. The ammy programs in eastern Europe were much later in amalgamating it into their systems. Dmitri pirog was a much better exponent of it than GGG IMO. Well worth looking at tape/HL's of him.
Great name drop my brother.

Dimitri Pirog was fucking amazing.

It's a fucking shame what happened to him. We got a GOAT taken away from us prematurely

Pirog actually destroyed Jacobs and knocked him out

My controversial opinion: Pirog was better then GGG

I think at one point they were supposed to fight or it was at least discussed...GGG should be thanking god that fight never materialized

Eastern Europe really does produce some of the finest boxers

Jury had a perfect window to counter him, it's the same move as Conor/Aldo.

Clearly you didn't read the thread if that's all you got out of it.

And I don't care if you are a Conor nuthugger. You are still a suspect poster .

I know reasonable Conor haters who are still far better posters then you are. Seriously, you have issues. What's you're problem with me? You constantly harass me
hahahahahahaha what are you even talking about, christ.

Mendes was thrashing Conor but gassed out because he took the fight on a weeks notice.

Casual. He gassed out because he was getting kicked in the stomach repeatedly from a far superior striker.

He definitely does, and I like Conor (not a nuthugger tho). His long, obsessive rants were already freaking me the fuck out back in 2013.

Conor is the best striker to come into MMA, period. Why get freaked out that someone is a huge fan of his? gotten to?

34h9is7.gif

No "glaring faults." His only issue was that he was fighting a counter punching wizard in Conor.

Look how Aldo drops his weight to his left as he really sells that right to the body and builds the torque for his left hook

That was picture perfect technique

(He sold the fient to the body better then Mendes did)

Andre Ward ustiles the same combo against southpaws

Fent the right to the body, left hook up top is a classic text book combo vs southpaws

Aldo lead with a textbook effective combo against southpaws.

Aldo even had the outside angle on Conor.

Did you know Aldo stepped to the outside angle with his lead foot and had outside foot dominance on Conor?

That's a textbook advantageous position

Conor still counter fucked Aldo from the inside angle

He re-asjusted his feet to line up the left and ba bam. Pure brilliance

You aren't giving Conor the credit for that masterful counter KO

Let's not forget Mendes was facing Miles Jury. Conor absolutely would've countered Mendes in that same situation , like he already did..repeatedly.. years ago while a much lesser version of himself, against Mendes's same kind of explosive level changes/fients to strikes up top sequences etc

Mendes landed nothing of any note against Conor on the feet. I encourage you to re-watch in slowmo: ) The shots you originally thought landed (due to Rogan's biased commentary) actually were bounced off Conor's shoulders/deflected etc

You are making it seem as if Mendes was winning on the feet until he gassed. It was Conor who gassed Mendes with body work. Conor was tooling Mendes on the feet.

Mendes is amazing. He's the only elite wrestler who developed legit striking (plus submissions)

Mendes is a little tank.

To be fair, being low as it's advantages too. For example, lower center of gravity to more easily level change and come up with hooks over the taller opponents strikes etc.

Everything has its pros and cons. It's about the individual fighter and how well they utilise what they have etc

No denying Mendes is a legit great fighter. Im glad Mendes is back. Mendes has only ever lost to GOATS (Aldo and Conor) and only Conor ever made Mendes look like a joke on the feet. That's just down to Conor being a next level matrix master

I personally believe Mendes is a nightmare match up for Holloway
I guess we agree on some things and disagree on others, which is fine.

It isn't a coincidence that between the two fighters we are discussing who threw similar combos the one who didn't move his head of the center line got hit with a clean counter.

Conor is a fantastic counter striker, I'm not sure where you are getting the notion that I don't acknowledge that, but Conor being a tremendous striker doesn't alleviate Aldo of his mistake. Aldo presented Conor with an opportunity and Conor capitalized.

Aldo himself has acknowledged that he let his anger get the better of him and that he came in wrecklessly.

The fact that Conor was able to KO him during the one mistake Aldo made in a 13 second fight speaks for itself, no need to talk Conor up about it, the results are clear as day. And Aldo's hook landed and cut Conor, so offensively speaking it wasn't a Terrible punch, but he paid the price for his aggressive entry without lateral movement leaving Conor with that opportunity.

I agree the Mendes would be a Huge problem for Holloway, if Max ever makes 145 again, which I doubt. Chad is top 3-4 FW ever and he is a problem for anyone, He even had Conor in more trouble in mm than anyone except Diaz

Back