A Perfect Circle concert underwhelming

Your Noodly Master

Selfish and shitty attitude
@Orange
Reaction score
I recently attended A Perfect Circle at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta. Their sound was excellent, but the song choices and stage show were disappointing.

The crowd seemed to have difficulty getting into the show as the first 40 minutes of music were largely obscure choices (minus Weak and Powerless). They ended with a killer version of Pet, Judith, and a couple of other good ones but overall they never really captured the crowd. It was the first concert I can remember where no one stayed in hope ho an encore.

The standard Maynard "no pics no video" was in effect as a couple of people were tossed and others scolded for checking the time or text messages. I'm not sure what the need for that rule is since you couldn't see him during the entire concert anyway. There was a shadowy figure at the back middle of the stage that appeared to be singing but no one could really tell for sure if it was actually Maynard himself.

The drummer was absolutely fantastic but was not given the chance to do a drum solo. There was no bass solo or guitar solo either. They walk to the front of the stage at the end of the show and turned the lights on, He said go ahead and take a picture but he left the stage before anybody could.

I've been a Tool fan for 20 years and A Perfect Circle fan since they came out but maybe I'm just not as big of a fan as I thought I was. Maybe this is normal for this type of concert and I should have known that going in, but it's making me rethink attending Tool next year if they come to Atlanta.

I saw them last year at Aftershock and they were still pretty good. The set list was good but I guess that depends on how in tune you are with the whole catalog. When I hear “Rose”, “Orestes”, “Blue” or “The Noose” that makes up for singles like “Judith” or “Weak and Powerless” being ommited. The only wrenches were their newer songs like “Hourglass” which didn’t fit the rest of set and didn’t even sound like a natural progression of A Perfect Circle. Hearing it live I thought Billy Howerdell was shoehorning something in there and Maynard hides the whole show, but sure enough it was Maynard.

Granted, at a rock festival they weren’t able to enforce band specific rules like no video or pictures.

Sorry you didn’t feel it

Well they did have a new album release this year. "Eat the Elephant." Maybe you were unaware of that. I'm guessing they played most of their music from that album. Unfortunately, the album sucks except for a couple songs. Their new album sounds a lot like Maynards other side gig, Puscifer... but worse.

Supposedly, Tool is finally working on a new album though. yay.

Well they did have a new album release this year. "Eat the Elephant." Maybe you were unaware of that. I'm guessing they played most of their music from that album. Unfortunately, the album sucks except for a couple songs. Their new album sounds a lot like Maynards other side gig, Puscifer... but worse.

Supposedly, Tool is finally working on a new album though. yay.
I knew about the new album but I had not heard it. My son is a fan also and he didn't care for it either. That's probably why the crowd wasn't into it much.

Just saw them last week. Like you said, their sound was excellent but not much of a show. Kinda boring to be honest.

A Perfect Circle is not a band I would ever actually want to see live. I love them, but it's not really music that translates well into a live performance. Their music is almost hypnotic to me.

Thanks for making this thread, I was considering seeing them.
If they ain't playing my songs, then there is no point.

Unlike the tool concert I recently saw, they played just about every song I wanted.

Thanks for making this thread, I was considering seeing them.
If they ain't playing my songs, then there is no point.

Unlike the tool concert I recently saw, they played just about every song I wanted.
Makes me lean toward seeing Tool next year. I hope their new album is good, but I'd still rather hear the classics.

Saw Tool back 12 years ago as a fan and it was a true shitshow. Maynard was a major douche, no smoking allowed, security checking the crowd with Mag-Lites every 5 min. for secret smoking, sound sucked, no stage energy and I left dissapointed never listening to their allways the same sounding, overrrated redemption phantasy shit again.

Makes me lean toward seeing Tool next year. I hope their new album is good, but I'd still rather hear the classics.
I went last year and everything they played was off of lateralus or aenima. They only played two dongs outside those albums. It was fucking awesome

m96jjd.jpg

I recently attended A Perfect Circle at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta. Their sound was excellent, but the song choices and stage show were disappointing.

The crowd seemed to have difficulty getting into the show as the first 40 minutes of music were largely obscure choices (minus Weak and Powerless). They ended with a killer version of Pet, Judith, and a couple of other good ones but overall they never really captured the crowd. It was the first concert I can remember where no one stayed in hope ho an encore.

The standard Maynard "no pics no video" was in effect as a couple of people were tossed and others scolded for checking the time or text messages. I'm not sure what the need for that rule is since you couldn't see him during the entire concert anyway. There was a shadowy figure at the back middle of the stage that appeared to be singing but no one could really tell for sure if it was actually Maynard himself.

The drummer was absolutely fantastic but was not given the chance to do a drum solo. There was no bass solo or guitar solo either. They walk to the front of the stage at the end of the show and turned the lights on, He said go ahead and take a picture but he left the stage before anybody could.

I've been a Tool fan for 20 years and A Perfect Circle fan since they came out but maybe I'm just not as big of a fan as I thought I was. Maybe this is normal for this type of concert and I should have known that going in, but it's making me rethink attending Tool next year if they come to Atlanta.

I saw them earlier in the year or last year ( I forget ). At the Bill Graham civic in San Francisco. Was a pretty epic show.

The sound was amazing.

I saw them more recently at San Jose state and that show was more like a recital because there was no standing room for general addmision. There were assigned seats on the floor.

I had balcony seats because I'm not trying to rub elbows with peasants.But the sound quality was not as good as it was at the Bill Graham.

I saw a few ppl get kicked out for sparking up and cell phone shit. THAT MUST HAVE SUK'D.

Mer de Noms, was an epic album.

<{RoseRun}> .

Jeez, Maynard sounds like a real tool. I'd still like to seem him with either band though.

Pun intended but it really was the first thought I had reading through it and I couldn't resist.

TOOL and APC concerts feel incredibly staged and fake to me. They sound good but there's no performance per se. 2 of the most boring concerts I've ever been to.

I do appreciate Maynard's no pics or video policy though. I can't even go to concerts now because of cell phones.

Jeez, Maynard sounds like a real tool. I'd still like to seem him with either band though.

Maynard always comes off as a pretentious prick in every interview I have seen him in. I could not even finish watching the interview he did with Rogan because he was such a self-righteous douche-bag.

I saw them at Voodoo last Friday night and I agree. I had VIP passes all weekend and they were on the main stage before Mumford and Sons and were a total letdown.

Marilyn Manson on the otherhand was incredible.

Josh Freese or gtfo.

From what I've seen on youtubes, APC is not the band to see live. Besides their new material is kind of meh.

On a bright side Puscifer's show in Stockholm a couple years back was a banger, much heavier and thicker sound compared to studio, enjoyed it a lot. Wrestling sideshow as a bonus and the energy was really good.

To be honest, Tool didn't impress me live either when I saw them perform back in the day on the Ozzfest tour.

Back