A question about distance when combining punches and kicks

chikoroll

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
This has really been driving me nuts and is the reason I have joined this forum.
I am not really a beginner at muay Thai. I have lived in Thailand a number of years and had 1 fight a few years ago in my twenties. I do still train here everyday but most schools are quite run of the mill where you go in and do your routine and leave with little technical work on techniques.
My issue is distance and putting together simple fluent combos of say jab, cross, kick for example.
Jab then cross... ok but then I am to close to follow up with any kind of kick. Kicking from this position I connect the bag around the knee area. To connect at lower shin I need to move back as I am too close. Then from this position where it is comfortable to kick from I am much too far out to connect a punch.
I see other people throw this combo fluently and it is a major part of muay thai.
I am quite lanky at 6ft 3inch and have long legs I wonder if that is why I have this issue.
Any tips or pointers on correcting this would be much appreciated. Sometimes it comes up during pads and I have tried a few times to show the trainer but he never fixes it.
It's very frustrating as jab, cross kick seems such a simple combo.

We have a pretty good standup forum with members fighting in both pro and amateur circuts, i would highly recommend posting this thread over there.

This Muay thai subforum is mostly for fans, not practitioners.

Maybe a mod can move it? @panamaican ?

as for advice, youre a tall lanky dude and you are probably crowding yourself on the bag. Maybe youre stepping too far in with your jab. Your cross should have some serious reach. Try to just tap with the jab, then twist into the cross. If you are landing the cross at the right distance ( medium to long range ) then the lowkick should be dialed in.

It gets a little hairer with chaining the left hook to lowkick if you are uneasy about your distance.

Its very hard to judge this without a video.

Last edited:
Get full extension on your punches and step out on the kick.

This has really been driving me nuts and is the reason I have joined this forum.
I am not really a beginner at muay Thai. I have lived in Thailand a number of years and had 1 fight a few years ago in my twenties. I do still train here everyday but most schools are quite run of the mill where you go in and do your routine and leave with little technical work on techniques.
My issue is distance and putting together simple fluent combos of say jab, cross, kick for example.
Jab then cross... ok but then I am to close to follow up with any kind of kick. Kicking from this position I connect the bag around the knee area. To connect at lower shin I need to move back as I am too close. Then from this position where it is comfortable to kick from I am much too far out to connect a punch.
I see other people throw this combo fluently and it is a major part of muay thai.
I am quite lanky at 6ft 3inch and have long legs I wonder if that is why I have this issue.
Any tips or pointers on correcting this would be much appreciated. Sometimes it comes up during pads and I have tried a few times to show the trainer but he never fixes it.

where in thailand are you? I find it hard to believe its difficult to find good instruction there. If your not getting it at your gym, try another.

We have a pretty good standup forum with members fighting in both pro and amateur circuts, i would highly recommend posting this thread over there.

This Muay thai subforum is mostly for fans, not practitioners.

Maybe a mod can move it? @panamaican ?

as for advice, youre a tall lanky dude and you are probably crowding yourself on the bag. Maybe youre stepping too far in with your jab. Your cross should have some serious reach. Try to just tap with the jab, then twist into the cross. If you are landing the cross at the right distance ( medium to long range ) then the lowkick should be dialed in.

It gets a little hairer with chaining the left hook to lowkick if you are uneasy about your distance.

Its very hard to judge this without a video.
Yeh your right. I just thought maybe someone might have been going through the same thing.
If I ever get a video I will put it up
Thanks for your answer

where in thailand are you? I find it hard to believe its difficult to find good instruction there. If your not getting it at your gym, try another.
I live in pattaya and train at eagle gym where there is mainly 2 trainers. 1 is den junlaphan a retired wbc world champ who just does boxing and the other thai guy does muay thai but never teaches any advanced technique. The only time he will teach is if a complete beginner comes in and can't kick and needs the bare basics.
In pattaya i know of:
Venum taining camp
WKO hombu karate/muay thai
Fairtex
Max muay thai gym
Eagle gym
Kombat group
Twin tiger
and 2 or 3 others I forget the names of.
I'm married and have a lease so I can't just move around like I am on a holiday.
I don't have a motorbike and the only ones I can get to easily are fairtex and eagle gym.
Fairtex is expensive and I have found the hotel and shop staff there to be rude as hell which turned me off ever training there.
Eagle is just 6000 a month and is really the only other option unless I get a motorbike one day.
I would like to check out WKO and kombat group oneday if I get a chance. They both look decent.

Use your reach properly by twisting your hips and extending your arms and then throw your kicks

Maybe you moving forward too much smothering your work, it's important you nail it though , control the distance control the fight

I live in pattaya and train at eagle gym where there is mainly 2 trainers. 1 is den junlaphan a retired wbc world champ who just does boxing and the other thai guy does muay thai but never teaches any advanced technique. The only time he will teach is if a complete beginner comes in and can't kick and needs the bare basics.
In pattaya i know of:
Venum taining camp
WKO hombu karate/muay thai
Fairtex
Max muay thai gym
Eagle gym
Kombat group
Twin tiger
and 2 or 3 others I forget the names of.
I'm married and have a lease so I can't just move around like I am on a holiday.
I don't have a motorbike and the only ones I can get to easily are fairtex and eagle gym.
Fairtex is expensive and I have found the hotel and shop staff there to be rude as hell which turned me off ever training there.
Eagle is just 6000 a month and is really the only other option unless I get a motorbike one day.
I would like to check out WKO and kombat group oneday if I get a chance. They both look decent.

i just re-read your original post.

Being so tall may have something to do with it but I really dont know or couldnt make a suggestion without seeing it in person or perhaps a video

anyways, it seems that your range is off, so you need to get better at your ranges. Kicking range is just out of punching range. your 1,2, should knock the bag back enough to put it out of punching range and in kicking range. Also your combo doesnt need to be immediately, if its not in kicking range, use what weapon is in range, or wait for the bag to swing in/out of range.

if you could post a video, im sure myself and some other sherdoggers can make some suggestions.

Watch Diesel Noi and learn to knee properly........<45>

Thanks for answers. I will get a video at some stage. One thing I noticed the other night though is that in a sparring situation with an opponent being moved backward by your punches the kick works better as opposed to a bag that doesn't move back wards as much unless you get it really swingin like someone said

Back