A Solution to the Problem of Mass Shootings

Take mental health seriously here in the US. Take away guns and psychos will still want to kill innocent people. Look at all the terrorist attacks in Europe. Homemade bombs, knives, vehicles, anything can be used as a weapon.

As far as arming teachers, I’m skeptical. Most teachers are soft. I’m all for trained professionals providing security.

Why not? Put random people in schools kind of like the skymarshalls that were in place after 9-11. No one ever knew they were actually there but the threat of them probably kept some people from trying something stupid.

Arming every teacher? I think majority of teachers wouldnt want be armed. Another solution is armed guards in every school. I mean you kinda need more than 1 armed guard in a school of several hundred students. And how much would it cost to have several armed guards in every school?

Arming every teacher? I think majority of teachers wouldnt want be armed. Another solution is armed guards in every school. I mean you kinda need more than 1 armed guard in a school of several hundred students. And how much would it cost to have several armed guards in every school?
I live in rural Georgia and the high school here has had actual police officers that patrol the halls since I attended around 00-01.

Then, get bulletproof vests for them as well ...

I live in rural Georgia and the high school here has had actual police officers that patrol the halls since I attended around 00-01.
It can work for rurals. But what about big cities with 100s of schools

I know some dumbass teachers, that's a no go

Now if we're talking like people in the Inactive Reserves just getting off Active Duty military service, that's totally different

Try everything but what's obviously needed.

It can work for rurals. But what about big cities with 100s of schools

Take some money out of the 6 figure pensions that private citizens in that area are already paying for and get security or another officer.

Armed guards or arming teachers will do nothing to stop the problem. Do you think these deranged individuals attack schools so that they can get away? It's not like robbing a bank with a goal in mind to profit and live another day. These school shootings occur because the individual is committed more so than the guards or teachers who are armed.

If your argument is that arming teachers will lead to a lower body count then I do not think you've thought this through carefully. You will not be able to arm every teacher and depending on where the shooting takes place its possible it could take minutes for someone to arrive with a weapon. By that time too many children have already been killed. The negatives of arming teachers outweighs the positives of preventing deaths.

Armed every techaer?
Let’s start with giving them school supplies and a better salaries.
What about maybe have a small safe room on every class or actually have armed security.
The sad thing is that not matter what they do, the school shootings won’t stop happening.
The problem is way more complex than arming or desarming people

I imagine a kid opening fire in a packed school cafeteria, the panic and melee that would ensue, and the amount of time it would take an armed teacher to somehow get off a clean kill shot.

And then, no matter how many kids get shot either intentionally by the shooter or accidentally by the teachers the gun nutters can say, "But imagine how many MORE students would have been shot otherwise!"

I know some dumbass teachers, that's a no go

Now if we're talking like people in the Inactive Reserves just getting off Active Duty military service, that's totally different

Great idea, let’s take the demographic of the population that probably has the MOST mental health issues— active duty veterans— strap them up, and stick them in schools.

I mean, it’s not like active duty veterans have a 22% higher rate of suicide than the general population.

What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=2951

Then, get bulletproof vests for them as well ...

The new mandatory school uniforms.

36003-cy.jpg

Problem solved.

Should be trained MP's. Just their presence would deter most of these shootings.

Why not? Put random people in schools kind of like the skymarshalls that were in place after 9-11. No one ever knew they were actually there but the threat of them probably kept some people from trying something stupid.

I’m a supporter of the 2nd amendment but I think this idea sucks. Schools are so vast and densely packed with kids that the odds of these school guards being at the right place at the right time is slim to none. The shooter could kill 20 kids on one end of the building and the guard wouldn’t even be aware it’s going on. This reaks of the retroactive response of the tea.... which costs many billions and is totally ineffective

You should have to be 21 to buy anything other than a single shot rifle. That would give these student shooters a few more years removed from the chaos and angst of high school to grow up and reconsider

There should also be a study of every shooter in last 10 years to find out if they were on similar meds and if you are on these meds you can’t buy a gun. If you’ve attempted suicide then you can’t buy a gun. If you have been diagnosed with schizophrenia or other serious mental illness or if you are on the no fly list then no gun for you

This obviously won’t prevent all mass killings but it’s a common sense compromise

You better hope whoever they put in the schools with guns have navy seal level gun skills, I can see alot of accidental shootings in crossfire. Metal detectors at the entrances would probably more be more sensible.

Back