A Southpaw with a great technique; Who should I watch?

CodeBreaker

What belt?
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm still learning the sport of boxing, and I am a Southpaw. I have a good reaction time and attention to detail. I also think I will be a great counter puncher with how well I read body language plus my footwork is looking good, and I am also a fast learner.

I'm trying to watch boxing fights from southpaws. The first boxer comes to mind is Manny Pacquiao, but he fights so weird with those awkward angles, I don't think I can learn from that. His fighting style is very different from mine. Can you suggest any boxer? I'm thinking of Bud Crawford.

Marvin Hagler
Edwin Valero
Zab Judah
Victor Ortiz - My choice for the easiest to emulate.
Robert Gurrero
Sergio Martinez
Erislandy Lara
Vasyl Lomachenko

Marvin Hagler
Edwin Valero
Zab Judah
Robert Gurrero
Sergio Martinez
Erislandy Lara
Vasyl Lomachenko
Thanks for this good list

As already mentioned, Whitaker is probably the gold standard for skilled southpaws. Stevie Johnston is a guy who gets overlooked a bit who was an excellent technician. Paul Spadafora is another solid southpaw technician.

Marvin Hagler
Edwin Valero
Zab Judah
Robert Gurrero
Sergio Martinez
Erislandy Lara
Vasyl Lomachenko

LOL and this guy got mad at me when I said people said Pacquiao has no skills

not one of those southpaws is Manny Pacquiao, so even you acknowledge he doesn't have technique or skills

dam even Vasyl who is a carbon copy of Pacquiaos style of in and out angles and flurries is in there, even Robert Guerrero with his slow punches

you just exposed yourself, I think you wanted to purposely just disagree in that thread, but at least now you show that you agree with floyd sr and barry robinsons on Pacman hahahah

owned

not one of those southpaws is Manny Pacquiao, so even you acknowledge he doesn't have technique or skills

dam even Vasyl who is a carbon copy of Pacquiaos style of in and out angles and flurries is in there, even Robert Guerrero with his slow punches

you just exposed yourself, I think you wanted to purposely just disagree in that thread, but at least now you show that you agree with floyd sr and barry robinsons on Pacman hahahah

owned

4bUV7Ls.gif

owned

Did you read the original post where he mentioned Manny Pacquiao isn't a fighter he will be able to emulate? So I gave him an overall list of Southpaws he may be able to emulate. Tell me @TidWell you retard why would I include Manny in my list of southpaws when he already mentioned him in the original post?, and if you think Vasyl is anything like Pacquiao's style I have some news for you son, you don't know shit about boxing.
You are a fucking idiot.

200w.gif

Last edited:
not pacquiao, no way. the guys here are good, lots of craftsmen, punchers, boxers but southpaws also don't fight like orthodox fighters, they are awkward for opponents and they maximize this. Knockdowns happen to each fighter because of the angle that a southpaw is at. If you wan't a boxer, Macho Camacho was a well schooled one who on his best day might have been the greatest 130 pounder ever, frighteniingly talented and complete, great defense, the fastest combo puncher you'll ever see, fast feet,body and hands (not everyone is fast in each dept.). Michael Nunn was said to be talented although I was never sold on him. Hagler was ambidextrous, some say he was actually more a righty who could switch up. Pernell Whitaker was a nightmare for opponents because of his defense.

Loma is a horrible example of who to emulate as a classic southpaw.

Sweet P is my favorite south paw, and maybe best ever, but he qas already mentioned.

There are a lot of Cubans. Joel casamayor and Lara would be good to study. They both have great use of movement as well.

Joe Calzaghe is good, if you are more of an unorthodox fighter. That can work for left handers since you are usually an anamoly for most fighters .

Another good way to learn, is look at greats like Floyd and Hopkins, and how they fight southpaw opponents, and then mirror image them. This works because you will be fighting right handers and the overall method to beat someone with the opposite dominant hand is the same.

Sweet P is my favorite south paw, and maybe best ever, but he qas already mentioned.

There are a lot of Cubans. Joel casamayor and Lara would be good to study. They both have great use of movement as well.

Joe Calzaghe is good, if you are more of an unorthodox fighter. That can work for left handers since you are usually an anamoly for most fighters .

Another good way to learn, is look at greats like Floyd and Hopkins, and how they fight southpaw opponents, and then mirror image them. This works because you will be fighting right handers and the overall method to beat someone with the opposite dominant hand is the same.

Yeah, Casamayor is a good guy to look at (he remains one of my favorite fighters, all time). Good guy to learn how to take it to the gutter from, as well. Very dirty fighter, but it's up to the referee to figure that out, not the fighters.

Yeah, Casamayor is a good guy to look at (he remains one of my favorite fighters, all time). Good guy to learn how to take it to the gutter from, as well. Very dirty fighter, but it's up to the referee to figure that out, not the fighters.

Hell yea. He is severely underrated and and unremembered from a great era of 130-140lbers. His epic fight with Katsidis is sadly all but forgotten. He got over shadowed by JMM, Pac, Morales, and a lesser extent MAB.

I really enjoy dirty fighters, who know how to not get caught. One of the reasons Hopkins is my favorite. Casamayor was better at being dirty tho lol.

Pernell, obviously.

Hell yea. He is severely underrated and and unremembered from a great era of 130-140lbers. His epic fight with Katsidis is sadly all but forgotten. He got over shadowed by JMM, Pac, Morales, and a lesser extent MAB.
One of the few dirty fighters I actually appreciated.

Errol Spence is pretty textbook.
I always thought of Spence as just a southpaw stanced fighter, not exactly a oportunist southpaw like Casamayor and Loma if that makes sense, Spence doesnt rely heavily on straight lefts or moving to his right a lot.

Last edited:
Back