A special for Sinister on the old stance

Not fought by old-timey boxers who had to entertain crowds for money, with no time limits, and modified grappling allowed.

exactly, i was thinking to myself how awesome would it be to have muay thai fights with no rounds and no time limits, not thinking to myself how cool it would be in general, but how cool it would be for me myself to actually do it. This way there is no bullshit decision from judges, only a clear cut winner. I also I typically have very good stamina, so no rounds and no time limits would be in my favor, but as I began thinking and strategizing how I would fight such a fight, I quickly realized that someone could do next to nothing and wait for the other guy to tire out, etc............in a long story short, make fights very slow, very long, and very boring. Hence why so many of the orginizations now are doing alot of 3 round only fights, or promotions like glory, modifing rules to keep things action packed and fast paced.

Bareknuckle fights dont have to be slow and boring. Look at hockey fights. Imagine hockey fights on solid ground and in shoes. I thought Bareknuckles allowed to clinching like head locks, and even some takedowns like "back heels".

When I think Bareknuckle fighting, I think

have you not seen all the irish bareknuckle boxing documentaries on youtube?

exactly, i was thinking to myself how awesome would it be to have muay thai fights with no rounds and no time limits, not thinking to myself how cool it would be in general, but how cool it would be for me myself to actually do it. This way there is no bullshit decision from judges, only a clear cut winner. I also I typically have very good stamina, so no rounds and no time limits would be in my favor, but as I began thinking and strategizing how I would fight such a fight, I quickly realized that someone could do next to nothing and wait for the other guy to tire out, etc............in a long story short, make fights very slow, very long, and very boring. Hence why so many of the orginizations now are doing alot of 3 round only fights, or promotions like glory, modifing rules to keep things action packed and fast paced.

Right, see the thing is in the olden days, this WAS entertaining. It's very difficult for modern people to not look at the past through modern eyes. How we define "boring" and how they defined it are two different things. I remember watching an old episode of Bonanza, the character of the youngest Brother was in a room with a desk. On the desk was like a map, some form of paper and something to write with, a couple of other items, a couple of books, and that's it. He was standing beside the desk drinking a cup of coffee...and that's all. Someone comes into the room and tells him of a chore he must do, he replies: "Sure, just let me finish mah coffee." Now imagine that with a young man NOW. I doubt they could even stand in that room with nothing in it being turned on, let alone nothing in it AT ALL.

So in days like this, a fight was HIGHLY entertaining, even a slow boring one. It was something happening. Two people doing something so you could watch. And it was violent.

Right, see the thing is in the olden days, this WAS entertaining. It's very difficult for modern people to not look at the past through modern eyes. How we define "boring" and how they defined it are two different things. I remember watching an old episode of Bonanza, the character of the youngest Brother was in a room with a desk. On the desk was like a map, some form of paper and something to write with, a couple of other items, a couple of books, and that's it. He was standing beside the desk drinking a cup of coffee...and that's all. Someone comes into the room and tells him of a chore he must do, he replies: "Sure, just let me finish mah coffee." Now imagine that with a young man NOW. I doubt they could even stand in that room with nothing in it being turned on, let alone nothing in it AT ALL.

So in days like this, a fight was HIGHLY entertaining, even a slow boring one. It was something happening. Two people doing something so you could watch. And it was violent.

good points, no internet, cell phones, tv, or even radio back in the day. Also back in the day, it seemed violence was much more common place, and it was entertainment, from the coliseum, to bull baiting, etc. human nature is something about fighting we enjoy watching, whether its man or animal. Think about how nuts it would be, instead of getting ringside seats, you got coliseum ringside seats and watch dudes fight to the death with swords.....for fun, straight nuts. I would imagine that back in the day, they allowed the bareknuckle matches to continue and fight with more injuries/cuts than you see now a days as well. I see that myself now comparing MT to boxing. I see sometimes boxing fights get stopped due to a cut from a headbutt, where in MT the fight would go on. although maybe its stopped due to the headbutt rather than the cut?

Eh, yes and no. Check this out:

The gladiator days weren't as tough as is advertised now. I'll spoil another one for you, the Spartans weren't all that awesome. What they were was very smart, and good at strategy. But all the other shit told of them was actually true of other people and over time it got attributed to them, they made $$ off it and ran with it.

Oh and Boxing matches get stopped on cuts if the bleeding cannot be stopped or its obstructing vision

Last edited:

It's information and choices overload in the modern world today, when I was a child you had 3 TV channels (which shut down after 10:30pm) no internet, reasonable choice of radio stations if you lived in a city and my father would consider that spoilt for choice.

Men still went to work with briefcases and wrote letters by hand, if you was lucky they had a typing pool.

Things have changed dramatically in the last 35 years, if you didn't grow up in this time before, then it's hard to understand.

2 people fighting back then would have been considered very exciting however boring by today's standards and I could understand why the rule sets would have been different, it's not like the crowds had anything better to do, so you might as well make it drag on for as long as possible....... attention spans have changed the most over time.

Read the youtube comment section you will either have a good laugh or a brain aneurysm depending on your personality.

Eh, yes and no. Check this out:

The gladiator days weren't as tough as is advertised now. I'll spoil another one for you, the Spartans weren't all that awesome. What they were was very smart, and good at strategy. But all the other shit told of them was actually true of other people and over time it got attributed to them, they made $$ off it and ran with it.

Oh and Boxing matches get stopped on cuts if the bleeding cannot be stopped or its obstructing vision

makes sense, so although they did not fight to the death, its still pretty crazy shit though. I mean fighting with real swords, getting stabbed and sliced, is crazy. I would compare it to maybe letting 2 guys knife fight, "but just dont kll each other" either way your still fighting with knives. But yeah the video certainly does go to show how things get twisted.

I was always digging the gladiator stuff, right down to my gladiator shorts lol. I had always envisioned it as like something out of the movies "gladiator" stupid hollywood!!!

Gypsy fights > UFC

some of the fights are ok, but man they live a shit lifestyle, most of them seem to be drunks from the documentaries i have seen. I bet if they did a documentary on them today in 2018, the alcohol has most likely been replaced with meth.

some of the fights are ok, but man they live a shit lifestyle, most of them seem to be drunks from the documentaries i have seen. I bet if they did a documentary on them today in 2018, the alcohol has most likely been replaced with meth.
meth's barely used in the UK and Ireland compared to how it is in the US and Australia and NZ, it's never taken off here

This bare knuckle fight video always stayed in my memory. Both had hearts the size of Phar Laps and chins of diamond:

makes sense, so although they did not fight to the death, its still pretty crazy shit though. I mean fighting with real swords, getting stabbed and sliced, is crazy. I would compare it to maybe letting 2 guys knife fight, "but just dont kll each other" either way your still fighting with knives. But yeah the video certainly does go to show how things get twisted.

I was always digging the gladiator stuff, right down to my gladiator shorts lol. I had always envisioned it as like something out of the movies "gladiator" stupid hollywood!!!

Same here, but thinking of Gladiators as more like MMA fighters with weapons makes much more sense. They were expensive.

I think I remember reading an article regarding gladiators and their diets, they actually spent time trying to put fat on to give the blades more to cut through before they hit something more vital.....

These images we have of toned muscle bound people might not be that true.

I think I remember reading an article regarding gladiators and their diets, they actually spent time trying to put fat on to give the blades more to cut through before they hit something more vital.....

These images we have of toned muscle bound people might not be that true.

i recall hearing about that too. the strongest people are the thick solid guys, not body builders, take a look at the samoan rugby players the way they are built, or all the guys competing in the strongmen contests, they are thick solid guys.

Well of course. But Hollywood aint putting fat actors to play gladiators or spartans.

function over fashion

BB-vs-PL.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

James-Haskell.jpg

40 posts about old-timey boxing stances and still no Karate references? ;)

Guards.jpg

Back