A Tribute to Alice In Chains

Philo-Publius

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
What is your favorite Alice In Chains song of all time, and how do you think William DuVall measuers up in Layne Staley's shoes.

William DuVall can never fully fill the shoes of Layne but I don't think anyone can or could for that matter. That aside William is more than capable to front the current incarnation of AIC and I think he does a hell of a job.

As for my favorite Alice In Chains song, easy

This right here. Junkhead and both for being one of the best written songs and also for being very personal to me. As a recovering heroin addict this song hits me hard. Layne knew how to write about the struggles with opiate addiction and not a day goes by that I don't miss the man. Still pissed his own demons and addiction ultimately took him from us.

Nutshell is my second favorite by the band. The acoustic side of the band was just as good if not better than the electric side and Jar Of Flies is a phenomenal EP

For me Dirt is the greatest Grunge album produced and one of my personal favorites as well. There is no filler on the record and the harmonies between Jerry Cantrell and Layne Staley are the stuff of legends. Decided to pick a copy of it up on vinyl and glad I did, sounds great on said medium.

William DuVall can never fully fill the shoes of Layne but I don't think anyone can or could for that matter. That aside William is more than capable to front the current incarnation of AIC and I think he does a hell of a job.

As for my favorite Alice In Chains song, easy

This right here. Junkhead and both for being one of the best written songs and also for being very personal to me. As a recovering heroin addict this song hits me hard. Layne knew how to write about the struggles with opiate addiction and not a day goes by that I don't miss the man. Still pissed his own demons and addiction ultimately took him from us.

Nutshell is my second favorite by the band. The acoustic side of the band was just as good if not better than the electric side and Jar Of Flies is a phenomenal EP

For me Dirt is the greatest Grunge album produced and one of my personal favorites as well. There is no filler on the record and the harmonies between Jerry Cantrell and Layne Staley are the stuff of legends. Decided to pick a copy of it up on vinyl and glad I did, sounds great on said medium.

Junk Head is one of my favorites too. Not because I can relate to the message but just because it is musically ingenious

I think you are right on point about DuVall. No one could ever duplicate Layne, but DuVall is pretty badass all things considered. They have put out some great music in the post Staley era.

One thing I disagree with is that you described them as Grunge. I always considered them metal.

Junk Head is one of my favorites too. Not because I can relate to the message but just because it is musically ingenious

I think you are right on point about DuVall. No one could ever duplicate Layne, but DuVall is pretty badass all things considered. They have put out some great music in the post Staley era.

One thing I disagree with is that you described them as Grunge. I always considered them metal.
I should amend my original post and say that Alice In Chains is in fact Metal. I sometimes mix up Grunge and Metal.

Grunge

Pearl Jam
STP
Nirvana
Temple Of The Dog

Metal
Tad
Soundgarden
Alice In Chains

Love AIC, 2nd fav band ever, Floyd being one.

Fav song is Love Hate Love, that entire album is fantastic from start to finish.

Staley is my fav singer ever, such a great voice. Their unplugged performance is one of my favourite live performances by anyone.

Such a shame we lost him at such a young age, would have loved to have had a few more Mad Season albums. On the flip side, if Layne wasn't so fucked up with drugs I don't think we would be talking about how greatvAIC was/is

Last edited:
Can't post since I'm on my phone but recently I've really like Confusion

I should amend my original post and say that Alice In Chains is in fact Metal. I sometimes mix up Grunge and Metal.

Grunge

Pearl Jam
STP
Nirvana
Temple Of The Dog

Metal
Tad
Soundgarden
Alice In Chains
Meh... they're all from the
same category cause of their
region of origin. (Notice how
smashing pumpkins & dinosaur
Jr were never considered "grunge"
despite carrying the similar sound)

Olympia, Seattle & the PNW in
general all produced heavy, garage
style angsty alternative rock that
was their trademark style.
Some were heavier than others.
AIC, Melvins, Green River, etc...
& others were a little more
punk/alternative driven like
Mudhoney & nirvana...

You wouldn't be wrong labeling
Alice in chains metal or grunge.
Same with Melvins.

Anyways, ot: I love "them bones"
Cantrell & staley have to go down
in rock history as being top 20
best rock duos in a band.

You wouldn't be wrong labeling
Alice in chains metal or grunge.
Same with Melvins.

Alice in Chains never considered themselves part of the grunge scene. It was a label placed on them against their will. If you have ever listened to some of the real Seattle grunge bands that formed on the streets in the 90's, the sound really is a little different.

Alice in Chains never considered themselves part of the grunge scene. It was a label placed on them against their will. If you have ever listened to some of the real Seattle grunge bands that formed on the streets in the 90's, the sound really is a little different.

No one wanted that label dude.
Like all contrived genre titles.
Like "emo" or "goth"

It's a befitting term though, imo.

i agree with you on jar of flies, and with the song nutshell. that's the only album of theirs i listen to nowadays.

All time favorite band.

All of you show some love for Jerry too.

Last song I listened to is my favorite. I never get tired of them. But I will limit it to posting just one.

Back