Ilk's Log - Boxing, soccer, conditioning

15.02.2018 Thursday

Morning Private Boxing
So I got some private coaching today.
12 rounds x 2 mins pads - working a lot on the basics - jabbing, jab cross, double jab cross or hooks, uppercuts. With lots of footwork coordination and bringing the hands at the right position. Later we added slips to these basic combos and adding some right hooks, right uppercuts and etc. Later we added 2-1-2s going forward and backwards and in the end 1-2-1-2 going forward or backwards after the initial combo. Got pretty good advice on the uppercuts, on foot coordination and slips. Apperantly I ve been doing uppercuts with too much body movement and slips with little protection.
3 bag rounds - I banged hard and worked on all that with full power. The coach said you build your conditioning on the heavy bag.
2 circuit rounds - 30 seconds jump rope, 30 second straights with 3kg dumbbells, 30 seconds plyo jumps, 30 seconds standing bar pushesh, 30 seconds push ups, 30 seconds straights with 3kg dumbbells and 30 seconds jump rope.

Last edited:
16.02.2018 Friday

Strength Training Day A - 75% 1 RM

Warm up Stretching

Squat
Warm up sets x3 - bar x 12, 8 x 45 kg, 5x 55 kg
4 sets x 5 reps - 65 kg

Bench Press
Warm up sets - 12x bar, 8x 40kg, 5x 45kg
4sets x 5 reps - 58 kg
5 x 55kg
8 x 40 kg

Accessory:

Super Set 1:
Walking Lunges - 3 sets x 10 reps each leg - 20kg dumbbells total weight
Lateral rises - 3 sets x 10 reps - 20 kg dumbbells total weight (10 kg each)

Super Set 2:
Vertical Rows or Pull Downs - 3 sets x 10 reps - 45 kg
Reverse Flyes - 3 sets x 10 reps - 5 kg dumbbells

Super Set 3
Peck Deck - 10x 35 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x45 kg
Reverse Flyes on the peck deck - 3 sets x 10 reps - 30 kg

Super Set 4:
Machine Rows - 3 sets x 10 reps - 70kg
Decline Bench Press - 3 sets x 10 reps - 40kg

Triset:
Leg Rises - 3 sets x 15 reps
Biceps Curls - 3 sets x 12 reps - 20 kg
French Press - 3 sets x 12 reps - 20 kg

Last super set:
Shrugs - 2 sets x 15 reps - 20 kg dumbbells - 40 kg total weight
Crunches - 2 sets x I dont know how many reps but between 10-20

Lots of Stretching between sets on the Squats and the Bench.

Got myself a sports massage post workout. I am feeling quite refreshed after it :)

Last edited:
17.02.2018 Saturday

Rest day. I have been called for a soccer game Sunday on a trial so I wanted to be well rested and fuck some dudes up.

Apperantly my last game has impressed the coach and they are about to offer me an amateur contract. They do that to the core players with some basic salary or bonuses for wins to keep the guys training. The coach told me he wants a strong defensive mid like me to fuck up people when they want to attack us... Whatever that means. He wants me to perform and be really aggressive on challenges, first balls and tackling.

18.02.2018 Sunday

Fucking hell I got a call the game is cancelled so I did a 4km LISS run and chopped some 100-150 kg wood for my grandma and carried it from the basement to home.
I got home with few missed calls and being told the game is in 2 and a half hours and I am tired.

So 1 hour + of football. I ran pretty much all I could run.

Last edited:
19.02.2018 Monday

Boxing work out

3 x 3 mins pad rounds - working the uppercuts
6 x 3 mins - spar rounds - looked much better today but the guys let me work a lot
1 bag round - nothing special just light banging

squats 4 sets x 10 reps - 40kg - took it lighter today due to football yesterday
core circuits - 2 rounds - Russian twist, leg rises, some other twist and roll outs.

New weight 84 kg. I was the heaviest of the friends I work with when I started 1 month and a half a go - about 87-88kg, now I am the lightest. Great progress :) They even tried to shit on my half naked selfy I posted yesterday on facebook and instagram. Jelly people will be jelly.

I feel fucking great. I have not been in such form for more than 10 years. I literally destroyed guys yesterday at football, I did very well today in boxing. My lifting goes well. And I landed a date in Wednesday with a good looking girl :)

Last edited:
20.02.2018 Tuesday

Strength Training Week 5 80% 1 RM
Workout A

Bicycle 3-5 mins
Dynamic Warm up
Jump Rope 1 min

Squat
Warm up sets - 12xbar, 8 x 50kg, 5 x 60kg
4 sets x 5 reps x 70kg

Bench
Warm up sets -12xbar, 8x40kg, 5x50kg
3 sets x 5 reps x 60kg
1 set x 4 reps x 60kg - failed on the last rep for 5 reps and no spotter
Incline Bench - 1 set x 8 reps x 40kg

Super Set 1:
Bulgarian Split Squad - 3 sets 10 reps per leg 20kg dumbbells total weight
Lateral Rises - 3 sets x 10 reps

Super Set 2 - on some machine for chin ups and dips with assisted weight under your legs. I kind of cant do both chin ups and dips so I decided I will secretly work on that one when there are no people to laugh at my weak ass.
4 sets x 4 reps - chin ups with 15 kg assisted
4 sets x 6 reps - dips with 15 kg assisted
Yeah I am that weak

Super set 3
Pull Downs - 3 sets x 10 reps x 40kg
Reverse Flyes - 3 sets x 10 reps x 10kg dumbbels total weight (5 kg dumbbell at each hand)

Are you going 75%-80%-85%(or 90%) instead of 70%-75%-85% of 1RM these 3 weeks, as opposed to the first three weeks?

Ye. I kind of messed up the weights last week so I decided to give it a go. I am managing to be honest. I have lifted with 8 reps these weights. It just sux not having a spotter for the bench so I did not risk that last rep.

By the way Sano I am feeling some pain at the bone that starts from shoulder and ends bellow the throat I guess it is connected with the rib cage. I feel it when I bench and today even at the dips I tried. Should I be worried?

Are you going 75%-80%-85%(or 90%) instead of 70%-75%-85% of 1RM these 3 weeks, as opposed to the first three weeks?

Ye. I kind of messed up the weights last week so I decided to give it a go. I am managing to be honest. I have lifted with 8 reps these weights. It just sux not having a spotter for the bench so I did not risk that last rep.

By the way Sano I am feeling some pain at the bone that starts from shoulder and ends bellow the throat I guess it is connected with the rib cage. I feel it when I bench and today even at the dips I tried. Should I be worried?
No nothing to be worried about. You're doing a lot of stuff (a lot more than I said :D) with the boxing, other conditioning, other circuit training and your strength training days even. You went from not doing much to doing a lot of volume, so it would be strange if you DIDN'T feel any aches and pains. Takes a while for the body to adapt.

If it keeps up the next few days, lower the volume on some of the exercises that makes it hurt (and drop the dips completely for a little while), and generally on upper body pushes for a week or two to begin with. See if it doesn't go away then. Maybe record a vid of your bench pressing too and upload it to see if there's any form changes that could help. Most important thing is lowering the volume and stop doing what makes it hurt though, for now.

Yeah the % 1RMs seem fine, as long as you can actually lift the number of reps without going to failure.

No nothing to be worried about. You're doing a lot of stuff (a lot more than I said :D) with the boxing, other conditioning, other circuit training and your strength training days even. You went from not doing much to doing a lot of volume, so it would be strange if you DIDN'T feel any aches and pains. Takes a while for the body to adapt.

If it keeps up the next few days, lower the volume on some of the exercises that makes it hurt (and drop the dips completely for a little while), and generally on upper body pushes for a week or two to begin with. See if it doesn't go away then. Maybe record a vid of your bench pressing too and upload it to see if there's any form changes that could help. Most important thing is lowering the volume and stop doing what makes it hurt though, for now.

Yeah the % 1RMs seem fine, as long as you can actually lift the number of reps without going to failure.

Well I have a big athletic background from a child till early 20. I am used to huge volumes. My child years and early to mid teens I spend playing football like 4-5 hours per day. That is including a professional soccer work out. Then we would play table tennis or basketball or some games that include running. i ve done tons of sports back in the days. My entire days were filled with playing sports. Its the past 12 years I haven't been much active. Well I am active the past 2-3 years.

Anyway after I complete this 6 week routine I am going to drop a lot of stuff. As I am starting to work again. I ll try to go boxing twice. Strength training 3 times and run maximum once per week.

I am extremely motivated right now. I have time. I want to push myself. I want to create good habits such ss wake up early and work out. So this is why I am doing this much.

Well I have a big athletic background from a child till early 20. I am used to huge volumes. My child years and early to mid teens I spend playing football like 4-5 hours per day. That is including a professional soccer work out. Then we would play table tennis or basketball or some games that include running. i ve done tons of sports back in the days. My entire days were filled with playing sports. Its the past 12 years I haven't been much active. Well I am active the past 2-3 years.

Anyway after I complete this 6 week routine I am going to drop a lot of stuff. As I am starting to work again. I ll try to go boxing twice. Strength training 3 times and run maximum once per week.

I am extremely motivated right now. I have time. I want to push myself. I want to create good habits such ss wake up early and work out. So this is why I am doing this much.
Doesn't matter if you used to be very active at one point. The sudden increase in load will naturally take time to adapt to, that's just how the body works.

Yeah good, use the motivation! You're doing good work.

21.02.2018 Wednesday
Strenght Training B - 85 % 1 RM

3 mins bycicle
1 min jump rope
stretching

DL +
Warm up sets - 12xbar, 8x60kg, 6x70kg - half the reps were Romanian DL
4 sets x 5 reps - 80 kg
1 set x 8 reps - 60 kg - Romanian DL

OHP
Warm up sets - x3 - 12xbar, 8x35kg, 5x40kg
4 sets x 5reps - 45 kg

Accessory:

Super Set 1 :
Barbell Rows - 2 sets x 10 reps - 50kg, 1 set x 8 reps - 50 kg
Machine Hamstring Curls - 3 sets x 10 reps - 60kg

Super Set 2:
Standing Calf Rises - 3 sets x 15 reps - 85 kg
Leg Rises - 3 sets x 15 reps

22.02.2018 Thursday
Boxing Work out

Warm up
Pad Round 5 mins - technique work
Pad Round 3 mins - working on slips and some counters with them
4 x 2min spar rounds - looking better and better but when closed down I am terrible. Way more relaxed now.
2 bag rounds - just banging

23.02.2018 Friday - rest

24.02.2018 Saturday

Strength Training Week 5 80% 1 RM
Workout A

Bicycle 3-5 mins
Dynamic Warm up
Jump Rope 1 min

Squat
4 sets x 5 reps x 70kg

Bench
Warm up sets -12xbar, 8x40kg, 5x50kg
3 sets x 5 reps x 60kg
1 set x 4 reps x 60kg - failed on the last rep for 5 reps and no spotter

Super Set 1:
Lunges - 3 sets 10 reps per leg 20kg dumbbells total weight
Lateral Rises - 3 sets x 10 reps 10kg dumbbells

Super set 2
Pull Downs - 3 sets x 10 reps x 45kg
Reverse Flyes on a peck deck machine - 3 sets x 10 reps - 30 kg

Row Machine - 2 sets x 10 reps - 75kg

Super Set 3:
Biceps Curls - 3 sets x 10 reps - 20 kg
Triceps push downs - 3 sets x 10 reps - 20 kg

25.02.2018 Sunday - Rest day
26.02.2018 Monday
Boxing Work out
2x5 mins pad rounds
2x3 mins close range fighting
1x3 jump rope
1x 3 bag round
Squats - 4 x 10 - 50kg

Very lazy work out, barely broke some sweat. The in fighting was amazing. I got smashed, expected as my Orthodox friend is a very experienced in fighter, but finally some close range stuff.

27.02.2018 Tuesday
Strength Training Week 6 90% 1 RM - final week
Workout A

Bicycle 5 mins
Dynamic Warm up
Jump Rope 2 min

Squat
4 sets x 3 reps x 80kg - awful technique though I think I picked a too heavy load

Bench
Warm up sets -12xbar, 8x45kg, 5x55kg
3 sets x 3 reps x 65kg
1 set x 2 reps x 65kg - failed on the last rep for 3 reps and no spotter

Super Set 1:
Walking Lunges - 3 sets 12 reps per leg 20kg dumbbells total weight
Lateral Rises - 3 sets x 10 reps 10kg dumbbells

Super set 2
Pull Downs - 3 sets x 10 reps x 45kg
Reverse Flyes - 3 sets x 12 reps - 5 kg dumbbells

Super Set 3:
Chin ups on an assisted machine - 3 sets x 5 reps - 15kg assisted
Dips on an assisted machine - 3 sets x 5 reps - 15 kg assisted

New weight: 83.5 kg, it is very funny but yesterday I showed 86kg and on Saturday 84,4 kg on the same scale... so no clue what the heck is happening.

Last edited:
28.02.2018 Wednesday
Strength Training Week 6 90% 1 RM - final week
Bicycle 3 mins
Dynamic Warm up
Jump Ropa 2 mins

DL
Warm up sets - 12xbar, 10x50 kg half Romanian, 5x 60kg
4 sets x 3 reps - 90kg - my left forearm almost gave up on me, but managed to do them in a pretty decent form

OHP
Warm up sets - 12xbar, 8x30 kg, 5x40kg
4sets 3reps - 50 kg

Super Set
Machine Rows - 3 set x 10 reps - 80 kg
Hamstring Curls - 3 sets x 10 reps - 65 kg

Super Set
Chin ups on an assisted machine - 15kg assisted - 4 sets x 5 reps
Dips on an assisted machine - 15 kg assisted - 4 sets x 5 reps

Super Set
French Press - 2 sets x 10 reps - 20kg
Biceps Curls to get the girls - 2 sets x 10 reps - 20 kg

After you're done with the 6th week, take a few days off from any heavy lifting and let your body rest up. Then, it's time to take your new maxes on the lifts. I'd split up your max lifts over two sessions so you're not too tired to see how strong you really are in all of them. I'm testing my maxes in two weeks as well, so that is going to be exciting!

After you're done with the 6th week, take a few days off from any heavy lifting and let your body rest up. Then, it's time to take your new maxes on the lifts. I'd split up your max lifts over two sessions so you're not too tired to see how strong you really are in all of them. I'm testing my maxes in two weeks as well, so that is going to be exciting!

How do I test these again? I am really afraid of lifting too heavy :( I go lifting at 7 am and there is just the reception chick so no one to really help me if something happens

Back