About Dave Meltzer

Yeah I hear ya.

But yeah, it’s right in the beginning. When Dana is being all dicky and says “does anybody here actually think GSP won that fight??” Then meltzer spoke up. And Dana just said something like “you scored it for GSP Meltzer? Ok. Anyone else?”

I forgot about that

Yeah dana respects him a lot for some reason. I think it’s because he’s plugged into alot of the casual wrestling fans maybe.

He was part of MMA long before Dana was
I think he respects him because he doesn't follow UFC & fighters like a lost puppy dog.
He rarely goes to events & is not about being backstage, etc.

Plus most of his info/numbers Dana knows are real (UFC filings back them up) so hard to blast them

Well, he's right about #1. GSP did quite good in the beginning but it was clear that had he not landed that punch that led to the sub, he was in deep, deep, damn deep waters. I was not impressed by his performance.

Funny story about Dana & Meltzer from 5-6 years ago
Meltzer wrote that fox was unhappy with recent numbers, Dana went off that what Dave said wasn't true.
On his next audio, Dave said that Dana called him in advance to tell him that he was going to go off on him.
When Dave's co-host asked if he cared, he said no & that Dana is protecting his business & that his article on Fox/UFC stands.

I guess after dealing with wrestling carny promoters, a guy like Dana is easy lol

But you know damn well if Meltzers info on the sale & his business info were not going to be proven correct, Dana would go ballistic.
But you can't go off on things like Dave reporting 13% went to fighters in 2015, if UFC themselves filed that figure

Yeah I hear ya.

But yeah, it’s right in the beginning. When Dana is being all dicky and says “does anybody here actually think GSP won that fight??” Then meltzer spoke up. And Dana just said something like “you scored it for GSP Meltzer? Ok. Anyone else?”

Best is, Dana was obviously pissed it was Dave & not a guy he can destroy like Ariel

Great memory on your end

Best is, Dana was obviously pissed it was Dave & not a guy he can destroy like Ariel

Great memory on your end

Oh crap. I forgot Dana actually went back at him a bit about the elbows. But def not as he would’ve responded if fugging Helwani was the one to say it haha

But yeah. Still props to meltzer for speaking up.

A lot of guys worship him. But let's be real, he really has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to MMA.

1. He claimed GSP "wasn't doing great in the fight" against bisping and that Bisping "just got caught"
2. He's claimed Cody Garbrandt was a welterweight champ
3. He thought that a referee would have been justified in stopping Bisping vs GSP due to cuts

this is just 3 things within like 5 minutes of this video that he said were absolutely idiotic

1. GSP wasn't doing great in the fight. He had an early edge in the standup, couldn't take/hold down Bisping consistently, got fucked up when he did, and then appeared to gas and start losing on the feet. He did just catch Bisping; he was losing on the feet generally at that point. He got lucky.

2. Words

3. I agree that it shouldn't have been stopped, but it's not an outrageous comment. GSP was cut up pretty badly.

Oh crap. I forgot Dana actually went back at him a bit about the elbows. But def not as he would’ve responded if fugging Helwani was the one to say it haha

But yeah. Still props to meltzer for speaking up.

Yep, best was when he asked who & saw it was Dave, he took a breath said "oh Meltzer" lol

Yep, best was when he asked who & saw it was Dave, he took a breath said "oh Meltzer" lol

will never forget the look on that bald head of his when GSP walked out after he claimed GSP had to be rushed to the hospital

will never forget the look on that bald head of his when GSP walked out after he claimed GSP had to be rushed to the hospital

Yep, he started the presser off with that & then the Dave thing
Bad night for him

the man has never trained a day in athletics. he has no aesthetics and chose a career in something where he could be around men he wish he could be like but unfortunately can only live vicariously through them.

Last edited:
the main has never trained a day in athletics. he has no aesthetics and chose a career in something where he could be around men he wish he could be like but unfortunately can only live vicariously through them.

Who?

I think he understands promotional and business aspects of MMA really well but as far as understanding fighting he's a casual by Sherdog standards.

I have a lot of different opinions then he does, but his reporting/journalism is spot on
He is the biggest reason we know anything concrete about UFC & their business & how they pay fighters.

He covered MMA longer than some fans were born & was a licensed ref
His opinion is as valid as anybody, but ... its an opinion & nobody should confuse that with reporting/journalism

Nobody needs to agree with his opinion to appreciate his reporting history

---

Frank Deford, a 50-year veteran of Sports Illustrated, once labeled Meltzer the most accomplished reporter in sports journalism.

“You could cover the Vatican or State Department,” Deford said recently, “and not do as good a job as Dave Meltzer does.”

people being able to differentiate between objective reporting and subjective analysis is lacking these days.

i almost feel it is the journalists responsibility to explicitly state "this article is subjective" or "this article is an attempt at being objective"

He has no idea what he's talking about but has been covering UFC literally since the first event? Makes sense.

my main man meltz duh

fixed. thanks

Are you confusing him with Ariel?
He rarely goes to any shows & is pretty well known for his training/working out

If training is that important to you, here you go
Taken from a Reddit thing

8glwvabx5ejx.jpg

Personally I don't look for journalism to have aesthetics ;)

Didn't he get into covering MMA from covering pro wrestling? I could be thinking of someone else.

Didn't he get into covering MMA from covering pro wrestling? I could be thinking of someone else.

From it?
He covered pro wrestling before MMA & covered all the Japan orgs that grew into modern day MMA with worked/shoots, etc

Are you confusing him with Ariel?
He rarely goes to any shows & is pretty well known for his training/working out

If training is that important to you, here you go
Taken from a Reddit thing

8glwvabx5ejx.jpg

Personally I don't look for journalism to have aesthetics ;)

I do look for them to check their facts and sources. saying gsp is in the hospital to only have GSP walk out is unprofessional and seen as attention whoring by being the one to break the news instead of getting the facts straight.

facts

I do look for them to check their facts and sources. saying gsp is in the hospital to only have GSP walk out is unprofessional and seen as attention whoring by being the one to break the news instead of getting the facts straight.

facts

I wish I knew WTF you were going on about.
Dana said GSP was in the hospital, not any reporter

Back